Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof maintenence

pnj442
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-
We have a 2010 Starcraft and after perusing the roof a few days ago all the caulking looks good except for the area around the crank-up TV antenna so sealing is in order. Before I attempt this just a few questions:
1) I don't know if I have a EPDM or TPO roof. How can you tell and does it make a difference as far as this job is concerned ?
2) Do I scrape all the old caulking off or can a lay EB tape over the cracked caulking.
3) Should I use Dicor instead of EB tape.
Any input would be very helpful.
14 REPLIES 14

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
hddecker wrote:
westend wrote:
If you are going to use Eternabond tape, I would suggest to make the surface as level as possible. That may mean the removal of some caulk. Also, the tape works best when the surface is beyond just a simple cleaning. Eternabond recommends using their cleaner but I would believe alcohol or acetone would work as well.

Alcohol might be ok, but acetone is pretty harsh.

I know there is the Eternabond camp, but I have been more than satisfied with just refreshing the lap sealant. I save the EB for emergency repairs.

If it ain't broke, throwing more money at it ain't mean it going to make it better.

EB user here and I agree with you somewhat. Applying EB properly can be a ton of work in some cases. It does work great though.

BTW, I used EB a couple of years ago and if I recall, EB's instructions say to clean with acetone if you don't use their cleaner. You can download the instructions and confirm.

Hi Ron,

I will take your word that EB says the use of Acetone is OK. I always have a gallon of Acetone in my shop, one of my favorite surface preps. I also always have a gallon of denatured alcohol, and lacquer thinners.

My default cleaner has always been alcohol, because I know there is not much, besides the liver and brain, that it attacks. It goes back to my days when I was pursuing a career as a mechanic, that I learned how bad petroleum distillates were for things like brake cylinder cups and the like. (So I just brought that forward to my rubber roof.)

This in the days when we thought nothing of washing the grease off our hands with leaded gasoline.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tequila wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
As a general rule EPDM is a smooth surface and TPO is textured like an orange. I use Dicor self leveling on mine and no if its not loose don't remove the old. Lots of people are fans of EB tape but I have never tried it.

I think you have it backwards. TPO is vinyl and is smooth as smooth as a babies bottom, an EDPM roof will feel chalky.

TPO for RV roofing is textured to make it less slippery and per MFG claim to also help reduce black streaking on the siding

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
hddecker wrote:
westend wrote:
If you are going to use Eternabond tape, I would suggest to make the surface as level as possible. That may mean the removal of some caulk. Also, the tape works best when the surface is beyond just a simple cleaning. Eternabond recommends using their cleaner but I would believe alcohol or acetone would work as well.

I know there is the Eternabond camp, but I have been more than satisfied with just refreshing the lap sealant. I save the EB for emergency repairs.

If it ain't broke, throwing more money at it ain't mean it going to make it better.

EB user here and I agree with you somewhat. Applying EB properly can be a ton of work in some cases. It does work great though.

BTW, I used EB a couple of years ago and if I recall, EB's instructions say to clean with acetone if you don't use their cleaner. You can download the instructions and confirm.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor makes an excellent EPDM cleaner that is available in 16oz spray bottle and will do lots of cleaning per bottle.

For resealing around vents, antennas, etc. I would recommend the Non-Self Leveling Dicor caulk. It is Dicor 551LSD NON LEVELING DOVE LAP SEALANT. It has a thicker consistency so it builds a bead that doesn't level out and is recommended for this type of use. The self leveling is thinner and will tend to "level out".

For tears, patches, loose lap joints and other EPDM to EPDM flat area repairs, Eternabond tape is excellent.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
only time I have had a problem is with EB. I for one will never use it again. TPO has a pattern embossed in it to help avoid slips. IMHO just touch up with dicor.

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

pnj442
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Ron. The Dicor is actually in pretty good shape. It has split along the edge of he plate of the antenna mounting so I guess cleaning it real well and covering with EB tape would be the way to go.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The EB tape works great and CAN be installed over Dicor and is commonly done. Just make sure the Dicor is smoothed down and not loose or coming up. To get the Dicor off, use a metal or plastic putty knife with the corners rounded off. A heat gun softening up the Dicor is a big help. When I did my front cap on my old trailer, I scraped of most of the old Dicor just to level it out and then applied the Dicor. MAKE SURE you prep and apply the Eternabond properly! If done right, it's almost impossible to get off and lasts many years. Done wrong and you've wasted a lot of time and money.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
As a general rule EPDM is a smooth surface and TPO is textured like an orange. I use Dicor self leveling on mine and no if its not loose don't remove the old. Lots of people are fans of EB tape but I have never tried it.

I think you have it backwards. TPO is vinyl and is smooth as smooth as a babies bottom, an EDPM roof will feel chalky.

pnj442
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. Valuable information. It seems I have the EPDM roof. I will clean the old lap sealant really well and and unless someone here tells me not to, I'll use the EB tape over the clean lap sealant.
Thank you all again.

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Clean it with a soft brush and a good multi-purpose cleaner. I spoke with Dicor on another matter and I also asked if my farorite Simple Green was ok to use as a roof cleaner. They said yes, I buy it by the gallon concentrate and dilute it for the job at hand.

Be sure to rinse it well and let dry completely. I would clean all of the lap sealer up close with the brush, you may have other joints that should be touched up.

If you do find the need to remove the old lap sealant, you can warm it up with a hair dryer or in my case I have a heat gun that a deflector that directs the heat across the sealant not at it. Be very very careful if you do use heat though, you could over do it in seconds.

What ever you do do not use anything with CITRIS or PETROLEUM distillates in it, it will ruin your roof faster than your can say I ruined my roof. You might not be able to see the damage immediately but the damage is there.

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to clean the old caulk before applying the new?
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II