cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Se utah in July

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on spending a few,weeks in se utah starting in July through August .i know it will be hot but does it cool down at night . We plan on camping off grid. Would like to hear about your experience and what to expect. Appreciate any information. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot knew I would get some good information. Hadn't thought about a 12 volt fan or the wet towels will add to my list of things to buy and do.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Can be variable. We were at Canyonlands NP in June, went hiking before noon, huddled in the shade in the afternoons; it usually cooled off in the evening but takes a while because of the heat in the rocks. I recall a couple of hot nights and one really bad sand/windstorm.

Try to position your trailer so it's in the shade in the afternoon.

Also might dry an evaporative cooler with a small fan if lots of water is available. The air's so dry there, water easily evaporates and cools down the surroundings. Maybe just a bunch of towels soaked in water and hung up would help.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

tralertrash
Explorer
Explorer
we just got back mid- June. It was hot during the day, but a little shade makes a huge difference in the afternoon. We stayed at Goose Island, right on the Colorado River, NE of moab. There is a HUGE cliff that shades the campground from about 4 on. It ain't cool but it's bearable at night with a little 12v fan. If you get a chance and have a vehicle that can go offroad, don't miss Schafer Trail

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it cools after dark. I recall camping at Devil's Garden (no hookups) in Arches NP in August when it was well over 100 late afternoon/early evening, but we had no trouble sleeping as it cooled. I'd recommend a little 12-volt circulating van to move the air around.

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Hey me too but I'll be starting in Moab and working my way down to Zion.
Yea, it will cool down to about 90 ;). Given the high elevation it does cool down considerably after sunset and is quite comfortable IMHO.

Last time there (yrs ago) I camped off grid and put more miles on dirt than pavement. No issues with heat or the few people I ran across, had a blast. Be aware of sudden thunderstorms and flash floods as August is monsoon season. Don't camp in a wash. I suffered from hyperthermia due to miscalculation of water on one slot canyon hike. Carry lots of water.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran