Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Searching Lance1172 and Truck

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
we are from Germany and looking for a Lance 1172 but we find only new one and just a few used. Why is it so ? Does nobody sell a truckcamper ? Whitch truck I can use for a lance 1172 ?

Thanks Stefan
10 REPLIES 10

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought, check into renting a TC for your trip. Plenty of services allow private owners to rent their rigs.

Cruise America has rentals but it is a smaller model on an F150: https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/truck_camper.aspx
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlams post above details why I asked where you want to travel. A duallie on european back roads is not neccessarily everyone's idea of recreational driving...

Some background info for the north american readers - since I am in germany I feel I am qualified to give some insights:

- It is relatively simple to register and drive an american truck and camper in germany. Some bureaucratic hoops to jump through and fees to be paid. Importing your own is also relatively easy, but not cheap (think 40-50% of buying price).

- In all of europe, there is a hard cutoff at 3500 kgs (7700 lbs) GVWR. When you are over, a number of regulations change w.r.t. speed limits, drivers licenses, toll roads, allowed road usage, inspection intervals etc. With the exception of a few lightweight campers on half ton trucks, all fullsize trucks with a camper in the back are over 3500kgs GVW, so you have a number of restrictions apply to you. I have an older license which permits me to drive vehicles up to 7500 kgs GVWR, but younger drivers need an extra license if they want to drive something > 3500 kgs GVWR.

- Gas prices as of this morning: Diesel 1.26 EUR/l - 5.86 USD/gal; Regular 1.41 EUR/l - 6.56 USD/gal (applied Rate: 1 EUR = 1.23 USD). Diesel is cheaper here than gas as the tax is lower.

- The wide rear track of a duallie (about the same width as a semi truck) makes it not much fun to drive around many of our back roads. It can be done, but you are somewhat limited. Which is why I prefer a no slide camper on an SRW truck for here. In the US I would not care so much. So if the OP wants to drive around North America, my advice would not be the same as for europe.

Edit: I see Schubi replied while I was typing. As I wrote above, it is possible to register a full size duallie truck and camper here, but not neccessarily a good idea for many people. In the US, this is not an issue. Schubi, do you have the insurance question sorted out? Obviously you need the Truck and Camper insured while in the US. I have no useful information on that.

Buy in person in the US if you can. If you can, pick the camper first, then find a truck that can carry it. There are many manufacturers, not just Lance. Many floorplans are comparable, and you may actually prefer another brand when you are looking at the camper in person. Truckcamperwarehouse sounds like a good starting point. If you are looking to buy used, you can also try searchtempest (craigslist aggregator). Beware of water damage in the camper (not neccessarily easy to detect). Beware of certain Diesel engined trucks that tend to go for cheap but can be serious money pits. Read up on these yourself, the info is all out there on the web.

There was an issue recently with trucks over 5000 kgs GVWR not being allowed into Mexico. I don't know how this turned out, but you might want to read up on this and see if it is now resolved.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
we need the camper only in the USA, Canada and Mexico. We starting in Virginia and travel, so we hope, for one or two years.
I think importing to Germany is not possible because the restrictions of weight. So we are must sell the car and the camper or place it in a storage. We will see.
You are right, there are very little used camper in the market and it will be expensive camper and truck together, We want a camper with 2 or 3 slides, because we need place for us and the Dogs.
Thanks !

Bedlam
I know there restrictions on size and weight when you travel in Europe. Are you sure you want something so big? I have a Host Mammoth on a Ram 5500 but would choose something different to travel in your part of the world.

If you are looking at these large campers a 3500 DRW is the minimum truck you will safely need and you may need a bigger one based on how the ratings converted over in Germany. In addition to the Lance model you seek, Northstar makes a big camper with no slides, Arctic Fox makes a large 1-slide camper, Adventurer makes a large 2-slide camper, Eagle Cap makes large 2 and 3 slide campers and Host makes large 2 and 3 slide campers. These campers will be 8-8.5' wide and 12-13.5' tall when placed on the truck. Expect the weight of the camper and truck to exceed 12,000 lbs for the lightest combination and 18,000 lbs for the heaviest.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi and welcome fellow countryman ๐Ÿ˜‰

Where do you want to travel?

Do you know the german language Wohnkabinenforum.de? Lots of useful inf to be had there.

The camper market is fairly small. Therefore limited availability of used campers. Much more so if you are looking for a specific model, not too old, in excellent condition, and reasonably priced...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking at importing one to Germany? Can you get a 450 to haul it in Germany and still afford the diesel?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper warehouse sells combos. Also look at the big Artic fox. Sometimes good deals can be had on a pre own one and they are a quality camper. I think Eagle cap makes a double slide

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the informations. We need a very big truck camper, because we have 2 dogs. I have looked at the Host mammouth, great style but very expensive. I love it
Must I do some modifications at the car? I think it will be then a F450

Stefan

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check over on Lance owners as the 1172 seems to have a few issues of late.Lot's of post on Lance 1172 issues.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some used ones from across the US. There are many brands and models of truck campers. Truck campers are a bit of a niche style so finding a specific brand and model used will yield limited results. Especially one this size which limits the number of trucks that can carry it.

Used Lance 1172 campers for sale.

As far as a truck you will want a one ton dually (3500/350) or bigger for a full size multi slide truck camper.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.