cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Gen 3.5 EcoBoost and 10 Speed Transmission

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same horse power and torque is up to 450ft/lbs. Also a duel fuel system and a servo controlled waste gate.

This engine appears to raise the bar on pulling performance and fuel economy could raise the bar on gas engines.

The 10 speed appears to be equally an impressive piece that is a very compact package.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
78 REPLIES 78

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
With a 516 lb-ft torque rating you'd think it would be beefy enough for anything you'd actually want to try to tow with either of the Hemis, but I guess they could get a slightly higher tow rating for marketing purposes with the other transmission.
Craig

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frostbitte wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
captnjack wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
I'm hoping this drivetrain makes it way into at least the F250, it would be a stellar combo imo.

I agree. What are they waiting for?

Probably strength and durability.

Even with fixed input (engine) power, the more mass is behind a transmission, the sturdier it has to be. This is also the reason Ram still doesn't have the 8 speed ZF behind the 6.4 Hemi on HD trucks. Also an excellent transmission btw.

Agreed. The 8-speed in our Durango is always in the right gear and is smooth as butter and doesn't exhibit shift busyness. It just does it's thing.
I do imagine at some point RAM beefing up their 8-speeds for heavy duty applications or turning to Aisin when the time comes.

Ram doesn't produce the 8 speed transmission. It's been outsourced to ZF.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
captnjack wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
I'm hoping this drivetrain makes it way into at least the F250, it would be a stellar combo imo.

Even with fixed input (engine) power, the more mass is behind a transmission, the sturdier it has to be. This is also the reason Ram still doesn't have the 8 speed ZF behind the 6.4 Hemi on HD trucks. Also an excellent transmission btw.

Agreed. The 8-speed in our Durango is always in the right gear and is smooth as butter and doesn't exhibit shift busyness. It just does it's thing.
I do imagine at some point RAM beefing up their 8-speeds for heavy duty applications or turning to Aisin when the time comes.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
captnjack wrote:
Strength and durability of what? The transmission? There are stronger transmissions out there they could use. Or beef up this one.

Transmission of course.

"Beef up" can imply hundreds of millions of $ of R&D and re-tooling. You don't think Ram would've beefed up the 8 speed by now for their HDs? Or use stronger ones out there, like the variant on the Rolls Phantom?

Good point. Easier said than done.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does Ford have a "bad" auto trans in late model pickups?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
Honestly, give me the Ecoboost with the current 6 speed than, worthy upgrade over the 6.2 imo, at least in the SRW trucks.

Ford thought so too in the Raptor.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, give me the Ecoboost with the current 6 speed than, worthy upgrade over the 6.2 imo, at least in the SRW trucks.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
Strength and durability of what? The transmission? There are stronger transmissions out there they could use. Or beef up this one.

Transmission of course.

"Beef up" can imply hundreds of millions of $ of R&D and re-tooling. You don't think Ram would've beefed up the 8 speed by now for their HDs? Or use stronger ones out there, like the variant on the Rolls Phantom?

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
captnjack wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Transmission manufacturers have years and years of experience with high numbers of gears with excellent reliability. Europe (once again) has been ahead of us in this game for sometime.

For trucks they have as many as 18 gears or "speeds" with the most common now around ten. Both in Automatic, semi automatic and manual type gearboxes.

Reliability would not be my first concern.

To be fair though, an 18 speed auto / semi-auto, such as Eaton Auto-shift, Ultra-shift, and their equivalents in Euro Class 8 trucks, have NOTHING in common with a torque converter, planetary gear automatic. The former is simply a manual transmission with computer assist shifting and clutching.

Not saying the 10 speed auto won't be reliable, just that it is the very first. Euro / Asia does not have such a transmission before us.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, after 3 years of Ecoboost experience, I agree. I would rather have the EB than the 6.2 or any of the other gas offerings, to be sure. I think it would be a great drivetrain to tow 8-10k lbs, in a truck with plenty of payload and capability.

I know that my 3.5 made easy work towing my 6500 lb TT. The truck chassis, however, was about at its limits.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7