cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking th perfect Couples Trailer - just me and my wife ...

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm trying to find the perfect "Couples Trailer" for just me and
my wife. I'm 6'2" but can deal with a short mattress if necessary. We are first timers but have been looking and asking lots of questions. Just haven't found anything that jumps up and tells me to pull the trigger.

These are some things I think I want:
- Queen-size bed - Murphy be nice, prefer North/South bed
- Full bathroom - not a wet bath - separate toilet and shower (wife demands this)
- Under 4,000 lbs - towing with my 2002 Lexus LX470 SUV, 6,000lb tow capacity
- Prefer 7' to 7.5' wide so I can see the rear more easily.
- When not in use, it will be parked outside in driveway - no shelter - water, sun deterioration?

Some Travel Trailers on my short list so far:
- R-Pod 180 - 2800lbs 19โ€™ Slide, dry bath
- Lance 1685 โ€“ 4032lbs, 21โ€™ x8โ€™ Slide dual-axle
- Lance 1575 โ€“ 2915lbs 20โ€™ single axlefold out arm shower Front window, power jack. Slide
- Apex Nano 191RBS โ€“ 3315 lbs, N/S bed, 7.5โ€™ wide, 22โ€™ long, Slide
- Starcraft Launch Mini 17QB โ€“ Queen Bed, 3,000lbs, 21.5โ€™L, 7โ€™W
- Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 โ€“ 3127lbs, 20โ€™ long, 8โ€™wide single axle

Love to dump the dineete table and replace with a Sofa.
Don't want to overtax my SUV.

My questions are:
- Of these Travel trailers, what is your opinion as to function and quality?
- Got any better suggestions?

Thanks -- Carl
226 REPLIES 226

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
For those buyers looking to Costco for a significant money saving advantage...use the following URL: "www.costcoauto.com/rv/" Click on "locate a dealer" Enter the unit you are looking for and they will match you up with the dealer nearest you. In my case it was Colerain RV in Dayton. OH. I had a fantastic sales person! She (Amy) was excellent, it was a ridiculously easy transaction and the service folks were very thorough during the inspection process. I am well-pleased and love my Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS. Oh, and if you are looking at this same unit used/pre-owned, note that only the last couple model years have several new upgrades incorporated into them, one of the most notable being the full 60"x80" queen bed, instead of the smaller "RV queen bed". IMHO, it makes a difference! Enjoy!
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We sure love our 22 foot Fun Finder. The box is 18 feet and perfect. We spent 155 days in it last summer, pulled it over 7000 miles out west and everything worked perfect. Its just me and the wife, we really do like the small slide out for the sofa, gives you just enough room to move around in. The only thing we would change is have to easy chairs instead of the sofa. Just nicer to sit on

totaldla
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't recommend the Keystone passport 234qbwe for 2017. Keystone chose to "cost reduce" this model and leave off features. It's a great floorplan, and I suggest you look for a 2016 model to get the best features.

I have no idea why Keystone chose to screw up the Express line, but they did.

Omitted features for 2017:
Load leveling axles
Enclosed underbelly
15" wheels
Rear tube bumper

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
That URL seems to focused on car buying.
Reads like one must find a dealership that participates in the
Costco buying plan - none when I put in my zipcode.
Did you do it by entering a zipcode for another state?

EDIT: Tried Zipcodes for Ohio and California.

24v
Explorer
Explorer
cwmoser wrote:

You definitely got my attention about Costco.
Tried to find out how to purchase online but all I found were
some travel trailer accessories. Did you deal with Costco
by calling them direct or is there a special website they have set up?

Thanks

-- Carl

https://www.costcoauto.com/rv/enterzipcode.aspx?gotourl=%2frv%2fdefault.aspx

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cwmoser wrote:
I would like to purchase preowned but the Colemen 192RBS is hard to find used.

VERY difficult if you're looking for a Coleman but here's a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS for sale in NC, asking $13,950. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1nobby wrote:

Yes....buying used is NOT for everyone....but I know Carl personally and I know he can figure out and fix most things.

Thanks Nobby ... and you know that I can't fix I F-up pretty badly too ๐Ÿ™‚

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
LeoandLil wrote:
This summer we had the choice of a used 2014 192RBS from Three Way Campers outside ATL for $16,900 locally (that was their rock bottom price), a new 2016 for $17,700 in North Carolina (again, rock bottom price), or a feshly delivered, and loaded new 2017 in Ohio through Costco new for $15,300. ok...tell you what...I'll sell you my "preowned" 2017 (3 months old with upgraded porcelain toilet) for $17,700 and I'll go buy another new one for $15,300. Then you can say you were smart and bought used! :B

You definitely got my attention about Costco.
Tried to find out how to purchase online but all I found were
some travel trailer accessories. Did you deal with Costco
by calling them direct or is there a special website they have set up?

Thanks

-- Carl

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we had the choice of a used 2014 192RBS from Three Way Campers outside ATL for $16,900 locally (that was their rock bottom price), a new 2016 for $17,700 in North Carolina (again, rock bottom price), or a feshly delivered, and loaded new 2017 in Ohio through Costco new for $15,300. ok...tell you what...I'll sell you my "preowned" 2017 (3 months old with upgraded porcelain toilet) for $17,700 and I'll go buy another new one for $15,300. Then you can say you were smart and bought used! :B
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people can fix most anything, and they do, but when I discovered an old radiator hose was being used for a gas tank filler hose on my friend's motorhome, I thought that I had seen it all. It failed, but not catastrophically. Thank goodness.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
#1nobby wrote:
nypatnva wrote:
My point is look at used. There are a lot of trailers/campers that people bought to camp and discovered they don't like it. Just Sayin.

Agreed.

A number of my friends have purchased used. Some were very used without appearing so. Many traded for new with the idea that they preferred RVing to Repairing.

I negotiated a lower price based on what I could "see".

However, I missed a few things that added about $600 to the overall repair costs.

Repair and overhaul is second nature to me....comes from being broke my whole life...LOL.

Yes....buying used is NOT for everyone....but I know Carl personally and I know he can figure out and fix most things.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
nypatnva wrote:
My point is look at used. There are a lot of trailers/campers that people bought to camp and discovered they don't like it. Just Sayin.

Agreed.

A number of my friends have purchased used. Some were very used without appearing so. Many traded for new with the idea that they preferred RVing to Repairing.

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for the great advice.

I would like to purchase preowned but the Colemen 192RBS is hard to find used.
Still looking - got a few months before camping season starts.
Regarding the Bike Rack, good point. I think I'll even hold off on a
Bike Rack to make sure its important. Looking for some cheap bikes or
used ones.

Will have to find some extension mirrors that attach - any recommendations here?

Also, whats the thinking about installing a Rear Camera?

I think the wifey and I and get along pretty good in the Trailer.
We have a TV in the bedroom and it usually plays all night anyway.
Our dog, poodle/shitzu, sleeps with us so her space is our space.

Good advice about the 7' vs 8' tow-ability. Really do like the
roominess of the 192RBS.

BTW, to really "personalize" our Trailer, I'm thinking about taking along
one of my old vacuum tube radio consoles to sit it outside just as a conversation
piece. I've restored a number of old radios some are not all that valuable
anyway. Maybe do it once in a while ๐Ÿ™‚

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
nypatnva wrote:

Agreed.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a dozen travel trailers and currently own two. For traveling, I love the little Jayco 154 BH. Girlfriend and I just returned from a 1,500 mile trip in Texas with no complaints. Towable by a SUV, 2,590 empty weight. Choice of using the bunk beds or dinette. Narrow enough to see around without extra mirrors. $11,995 with two year warranty and better workmanship than my recent Forest River products. Power awning, only one step at entrance, no slides to leak, large front window, outside speakers, and a lot of storage for a small trailer. We keep most of our hanging clothes in the tow vehicle.