cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking th perfect Couples Trailer - just me and my wife ...

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm trying to find the perfect "Couples Trailer" for just me and
my wife. I'm 6'2" but can deal with a short mattress if necessary. We are first timers but have been looking and asking lots of questions. Just haven't found anything that jumps up and tells me to pull the trigger.

These are some things I think I want:
- Queen-size bed - Murphy be nice, prefer North/South bed
- Full bathroom - not a wet bath - separate toilet and shower (wife demands this)
- Under 4,000 lbs - towing with my 2002 Lexus LX470 SUV, 6,000lb tow capacity
- Prefer 7' to 7.5' wide so I can see the rear more easily.
- When not in use, it will be parked outside in driveway - no shelter - water, sun deterioration?

Some Travel Trailers on my short list so far:
- R-Pod 180 - 2800lbs 19โ€™ Slide, dry bath
- Lance 1685 โ€“ 4032lbs, 21โ€™ x8โ€™ Slide dual-axle
- Lance 1575 โ€“ 2915lbs 20โ€™ single axlefold out arm shower Front window, power jack. Slide
- Apex Nano 191RBS โ€“ 3315 lbs, N/S bed, 7.5โ€™ wide, 22โ€™ long, Slide
- Starcraft Launch Mini 17QB โ€“ Queen Bed, 3,000lbs, 21.5โ€™L, 7โ€™W
- Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 โ€“ 3127lbs, 20โ€™ long, 8โ€™wide single axle

Love to dump the dineete table and replace with a Sofa.
Don't want to overtax my SUV.

My questions are:
- Of these Travel trailers, what is your opinion as to function and quality?
- Got any better suggestions?

Thanks -- Carl
226 REPLIES 226

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a quick google search for that trailer, and I saw most 2018 and 2017 models seem to be priced at 21,000-27,000. Saw a couple lower than that at around 19,000-20,000 and one as low as $17,495. So, absent exhaustive research, based on that, it seems like the price you have is probably pretty fair.

When we bought our trailer (2015 Starcraft Launch 21FBS), we first determined which trailer we wanted and then did a search for who had the best price. Turned out the big popular local dealer did not have the best price and wasn't interested in dealing or matching a lower price. So we drove four hours to the dealer who was willing to work with us and give us a price we could live with. We did the whole deal over the phone and e-mail without ever meeting the guy (contingent of course on a final inspection when we got there). Everything was all good with the trailer when we got there, so we completed the deal and brought our little adventurer home with us and we've been very happy. We've had a couple of minor service issues, but they were very willing to work with us and meet us halfway distance-wise so we didn't have to drive all the way back up there to fix it. One time, the service guy even came all the way out to our storage location for a recall issue. Very good service.

And, we love our trailer! ๐Ÿ˜‰

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Can't talk to you about price, but aren't those pretty different trailers?

cwmoser
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife and I still have not found the "perfect Couples Trailer" yet.
We're still pondering either the Rpod 180 or the Coachmen 192RBS.
Leaning toward the 192RBS but just can't swallow the "no way Jose
no dickering price" by the local Coachmen dealer. Every vehicle
I've purchased or sold had some wiggle room.

$ 17,924.00 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
$ 800.00 hitch
$ 99.00 Admin Fee
$ 88.00 License/30day tag, Transfer, Title Fee
$ 399.00 Fueling & PDI
-----------
$ 19,974.69

Then I'll need to purchase Sewer Hose, Electrical Cord, Water Hoses,
Filter, Surge Protector, RV toilet paper, wheel chocks, ....

Tried the Costco mention to purchase -- but that really does not
seem to work.

Perhaps the above is a *deal"?

When you compare price of the 192RBS with the Rpod-180, a $2,500
difference, the 192RBS looks good to me.

Yesterday we looked at a 2013 Coachmen 192RBS that was supposed
to be like new at $12,500. Condition looked "fair" at best to me.
Missing stuff like spare tire, table, clock, jack tool, had
2012 DOT tires, seams seemed to be open in a few places,
metal around an exterior storage doors bent so bad the door would
not fully close, incandescent lighting, no TV, etc. I don't know if
it would be a good deal after addressing all that and then
maybe some unknowns.

Noted on the Rpod owners forum a person sold his Rpod-177 and
purchased a Lance 2295 - big difference.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
cwmoser,

Here's another trailer to throw in the mix. The new Travel Lite Falcon 20.

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heres one ive been looking at lately: Grand Design Imagine 2150RB. Might be a little larger but very nicely finished,nice cabinetry. Saw some of larger Imagine models at the Nashville show last weekend and I was impressed

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:
We are looking for that "couples trailer". We found a Cruiser Fun Finder "210 oud" that is great when the slide is out. When it is in you can't access the bathroom or the refrigerator without pushing the slide out a bit. The button is handy as you walk in but seems a little weird. Does anyone have one that can speak about how it goes when on the road. Is this a common trait in small trailers. Appreciate all opinions....thanks

We have sold our Pleasure Way and have decided a small trailer will work well for us. I already have a 1500HD GMC with Quadrasteer.

The bath and fridge are easily accessed in our Dart. After about 10,000 miles, we are still very happy with it. The manufacturer was Skyline/Evergreen, both of which have closed. There were several different names for the same layout: Nomad, Javelin, Joey and Ecocamper.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But don't all of these have a wet bath? OP didn't want a wet bath IIRC.

colliehauler wrote:
Have you looked into the small fiberglass trailers? Casita, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Bigfoot to name a few.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
We found a Cruiser Fun Finder "210 oud" that is great when the slide is out.

SoundGuy wrote:
No such animal on the Cruiser RV Fun Finder website. :h

Travelin2 wrote:
I forgot to mention it is a 2013 model. The model number is 210 ouds. It's on this list of floor plans.

Link

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, not being able to access the fridge or bathroom with the slide in would be a deal breaker for many. ๐Ÿ˜ž Perhaps that's why it's no longer in the Fun Finder lineup.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Travelin2 wrote:

Sorry 'bout that SoundGuy. I forgot to mention it is a 2013 model. The model number is 210uds. It's on this list of floor plans. The rig is hardly used and seems like an OK build except for the roof and walls meet at the corner. I don't know about their (fun finders) history of roof leaks.
http://media.rvusa.com/library/FunFinder.pdf
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for that "couples trailer". We found a Cruiser Fun Finder "210 oud" that is great when the slide is out. When it is in you can't access the bathroom or the refrigerator without pushing the slide out a bit. The button is handy as you walk in but seems a little weird. Does anyone have one that can speak about how it goes when on the road. Is this a common trait in small trailers. Appreciate all opinions....thanks

We have sold our Pleasure Way and have decided a small trailer will work well for us. I already have a 1500HD GMC with Quadrasteer.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
totaldla wrote:
ORV'S Blackrock 20RD would be a great choice to look into. Great couples trailer floorplan. Great construction for boondocking.

LINK ... short queen bed, no slide, and WAY too heavy for the OP's vehicle. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Agree, newer 192RBS models are definitely improved over earlier models such as mine which has a short queen bed and no vent in the main cabin. The bed I lengthened myself and although I have blueprints for the roof and could install my own vent I instead chose to just mount a twin fan in the street side window next to the bed - works just as well but I'd still prefer a roof vent with a FanTastic vent fan, as can be done with the current version 192RBS.

totaldla
Explorer
Explorer
ORV'S Blackrock 20RD would be a great choice to look into. Great couples trailer floorplan. Great construction for boondocking.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
LeoandLil wrote:
I am well-pleased and love my Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS. Oh, and if you are looking at this same unit used/pre-owned, note that only the last couple model years have several new upgrades incorporated into them, one of the most notable being the full 60"x80" queen bed, instead of the smaller "RV queen bed". IMHO, it makes a difference! Enjoy!

There are lots of good floor plans out there, but the combination of floor plan plus features and size have made our 2016 192RBS a great camping vehicle for us and our faithful canine family member. I wondered just a little bit when we bought this unit if the fun might diminish after a year or so. Not so at all. We have grown to anticipate getting out again for our next trip - short or long. Actually headed out again this Thursday, in fact, for a little winter camping in the Texas Hill Country. And glad to hear of another happy user of the 192RBS!
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel