Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting Tow Vehicle for Travel Trailer

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone...
I have scoured many forums reading about the same question I am asking, but always have different weights and sizes, so I am going to try to get advice that is specific to my situation.

I have recently purchased a 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL TT. I just couldn't pass it up as it was original owner, used 6 times, and garaged!!! It is in like new condition. I will be living in this TT with 2 kids for a portion of every month, and storing it between trips. I will only be towing it about 40 miles or so from storage to campsite, and about once a year I will be towing it about 1000 miles for vacation camping trips. Only throwing that in as to show the limited towing I will be actually doing. The other part of the equation is that I will be driving my tow vehicle to and from the stored trailer, and am trying to get the best mileage for that portion of tow vehicle use.

That being all said and done, I am torn like so many others on whether to purchase a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. My trailer has an UVW of 7592 pounds,a GVWR of 8900, a hitch weight of 830 pounds, and a total length of 36'11". It will be towed fairly light, with empty tanks. Included in the TT purchase is a top of the line weight distribution hitch and sway control. It will mostly be towed in southern California, with longer trips up to Arizona, Oregon, and Washington. I've been looking at mostly Ford F-150 EcoBoost, Ford F-250, Dodge 1500, and Dodge 2500. All with Super crew configurations, 4x4, and max towing options. I have read so many posts saying the length of the TT makes a difference, and all kinds of sway stories, and people that swear by the 1/2 ton...and people that swear by the 3/4 ton trucks. Luckily I don't have to make a decision until March 2015. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is so long, but like I said, I am trying to get feedback on my set of variables. Thank you!!!
34 REPLIES 34

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Holy thread resurrection batman!!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
The thread is a year old, I'm sure the OP made a decision by now.
I sent him a PM. Maybe he will post a pic.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
The thread is a year old, I'm sure the OP made a decision by now.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
F-250
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

NLPRacing
Explorer
Explorer
I have that same trailer and I have towed it with my 07 Expedition EL many, many times including a trip from Texas to Orlando and back in the summer of 2014 with no issues and got between 7 and 8 mpg. I have also towed it a few times with my 14 F150 Raptor including a trip from Arlington, TX to Hot Springs, AR and back during spring break 2015 with no issues and got around 9 mpg. With that said, I would rather have an F250 or bigger, but just not as a daily driver.
2014 Ford F150 Raptor towing our 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL

BradsRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for you input. This was my very first post, and you all were very nice and gave good advice.

I guess I'm pretty much sold on needing a 3/4 ton truck. Starting to look at them now. Sort of surprised that the prices are pretty close to the 1/2 ton trucks. Guess I will just have to deal with the lower fuel efficiency when driving without the trailer in tow.

Thanks again!!!

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
As a few others have mentioned, your tongue weight will probably be 1100-1200 lbs. You need a tow vehicle that will handle that kind of weight plus what ever else you carry in the truck. A 3/4 ton truck is probably best. Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet/GMC all make good vehicles to choose from.
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll sell you my F-250, V-10, 3.73 to pull that trailer. Meanwhile, I'll go buy the ecoboost with the max payload package to pull mine.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
The RAM 2500 with the 6.4l is probably the best choice. No 2500 will pull a TT as well. Get the 20" wheel package. The truck will pull the trailer with no sway, push or any abnormality.

MM49

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Forget what you see on TV.To comfortably tow this TT you need a 3/4 ton, when you load up you will be very close to a 10k load.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its going to be VERY easy to add 1500 lbs to your trailer... even packing light.. (everybody says they will, nobody ever does)

Dishes, silverware, towels, toys, TV's, tool kit, spare tires for the TT (Yep, need 2), power tongue jack, pictures on the wall, etc etc etc... Many end up in Fivers just for the cargo capacity... all this adds and adds and adds weight.

My 4950 UVW TT Scaled at 6500 lbs with empty tanks and with the trailer loaded for weekend camping. Full time camping is an entirely different affair.

IMHO...

A crew cab 3/4 ton gasser would be PERFECT for your situation. 6.0 GM, 6.4 Ram, 6.2 Ford are all great choices. No matter which you choose I recommend getting the 4.10 rear end for the GM and Ram trucks and the 4.30 for the Ford.

Diesels are not required for your trailer.. but are an option if you WANT one.

Chevy Express Van with a 6.0 and 4.10 would take care of business too. Most can't get over the full size van image.. but they are awesome driving vehicles and are just about the ideal tow vehicle. Have great daily driver manners too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I have an EcoBoost Max Tow and love it, but for the trailer you have, I would definitely want a 3/4 or 1 ton. I pulled a trailer that was about 33' and 6K lbs across the SE US last winter, when it seemed the wind was blowing 20mph+ every day. It was not fun.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
A half ton will likely have squishy P-rated tires. West bound and you'll be adding heat to the rubber, up north, damp and hilly. A low rear end ratio, 3.73 or really low 4.10 will add grunt. If you want better mileage, slow down as wind resistance is the number one gas hog.

I foresee 2 rug rats adding growth rings and NEEDING more accessories. Hence I see your needs changing. So you'll likely be adding a topper to the truck to keep those accessories secure and dry. Oh yeah, they'll be wanting to bring friends along too.

Conclusion, I'd pick the 3/4 ton, gas engine truck. The main consideration for me would be the rear tire weight rating and the families safety.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Get the truck that tows and then it will never be "underpowered" as a daily driver. But, get a daily driver and you will definitely be underpowered towing. Having both power and daily driver is really NOT going to happen. Choose the combination that provided safe towing. You won't be disappointed.