cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling camper ?

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 camper that is paid off. If you were me and wanted to sell it would you do it privately on your own or would you have a camper place sell it for the consignment deal. ? I do not wish to trade in because for medical reasons were not going camping for a while
11 REPLIES 11

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Put it on craigslist and email everyone you know with the particulars. I put like a dozen pics on craiglist along with my entire salespitch and then emailed everyone I knew with the link. I offered them $500 if someone they referred bought my TT.

Sold it the next day to the first craigslist responder. Second responder was a co-worker of a friend who would have bought it if guy #1 hadn't already committed.

So short answer is to get your pitch in order and tell everyone you know in every way you can. But if you are lazy, don't have the time, or squeezing the last nickel out of it isn't important, go ahead and consign it. Theres no wrong answer; just gotta figure out what works for You. Good Luck!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We bought used Wolfpup and used it for a 5 week vacation. We bought it at a good price on May 1, 2018, used it until we got back from the east coast. We listed it on Craigslist on Saturday morning for $1000 more than we paid and had three calls by noon. At 2:00 pm, I was at the local sheriff's office parking lot for the first couple to look at it. We agreed on my listed price, they gave me a $200 deposit and I delivered it 45 miles away on Monday morning to the buyers business and he paid me the balance in cash.
On week later, I listed my Toyota MH on Craigslist for $1000 more than we paid for it. Within 2 hours, a buyer was at the parking lot and exchanged cash for title at my asking price. We drove the MH over 60,000 miles over the 8 years we owned it.
The sheriff encourages transactions at their parking lot. You just arrive early, talk to the officer at the service desk and they record the whole thing on their security cameras. I have had a couple of buyers refuse to make transactions at the sheriff's department. I tell them that I will not meet them anywhere else and to not call me again.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold mine with a listing on Facebook. Priced it with room to bargain. Sold it for cash to the first person that looked at it. I posted a want add also on Facebook and found one just like I wanted and paid cash for it. Both transactions were easy.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
If it is in good shape with no problems sell it on Craigs List.
My last trailer was in perfect condition and I made modifications that added to it's value.
I figured out what I wanted to sell it for and then threw in a little extra for barganing and sold it in one week to the second person that replied
Sell it for cash only.
If you are trying to make a killing, forget about it. If it is a good buy, you'll sell it.

Guy

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I used Craigslist to sell my last TT.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a yard on a semi-busy road, put a sign on it for a few weeks. Worst thing that could happen is it sells and you don't pay a commission.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
It really comes down to whether you're willing to put up with all the nonsense involved in selling a trailer yourself in order to maximize what you'll get for it or whether you'd rather have it sold on consignment and receive less to have a salesperson deal with prospective buyers.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good consignment lot can work well. Some want too much or price your rig too high.
The best place I have found is a lot on a busy street. They charge a one time flat fee for a month. I sold my last rig in 3 days and got my price. I will be headed there as soon as the weather warms to sell my latest old rig.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d try it on my own first, consign later if you have to ,springs here people are looking.
x2
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d try it on my own first, consign later if you have to ,springs here people are looking.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my bounder at a consignment location. I had a trade in backup agreement but sold the old one a day before new one arrived.
bumpy