cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Serpentine Belts and Hoses

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
I still have the original belt and hoses on my 2004 truck with 120000 miles. Would you change them or say if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
31 REPLIES 31

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
The vehicle I just retired this spring was a 98 Explorer with almost 230,000 miles on it. It had:

-A Goodyear Gatorback belt installed at approx. 30,000 miles.
-Original hoses.
-K&N Air Filter installed at 50,000 miles, cleaned at 150,000 miles.
-Wiper blades were installed in the summer of 2000. (SilBlades)

The hoses were not dry-rotted, cracked, or soft in any way. I'm not sure what they were made out of, but my hat's-off to Ford's materials engineers for the choice of material!!

Honestly, had the belt let loose, I was prepared to change it on the side of the road. On most modern vehicles, the worst thing that will happen is the loss of AC and power steering. Most, if not all, vehicles have some level of fail-safe cooling system that will allow you to limp it some distance even if the belt fails.

Timing belts, on the other hand, need to be changed when the service schedule calls for it.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:

Does anyone's owners manual call for hose and/or belt changes at a specific mileage?

On my '05 Ram, the maintenance routine in the manual only calls for inspection of belt and hoses at I forget what time/mileage interval. So they would seem to be a replace as needed item. The belt's appearance can give clues that it's time to replace it, the coolant hoses can look fine on the outside and be ready to fail.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
The ideal time to replace belts and hoses is an hour before they break. But since nobody knows when they are going to break all you have to go on is the recommended maintenance schedule. For my '00 F-250 out to 150,000 miles it only calls for inspecting the cooling system hoses. The lower radiator hose used to be $110 by itself (haven't checked in a long time though) so I wasn't inclined to change it if I didn't think it was bad.

We've come a long way since the 60's when you'd really be pressing your luck to keep belts and hoses more than a few years.

Does anyone's owners manual call for hose and/or belt changes at a specific mileage?
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you guys take care of your heath too, as major repairs are around $1700 for an Emergency room visit and about $4700 a day in Hospital plus those mechanics don't have many new parts they most time try a rebuild or you end up in the junk yard.

fandango49
Explorer
Explorer
jbres wrote:
Personally if I could eliminate one more chance for a breakdown while on the road by changing the belts, well worth it in my opinion.

X2

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Expensive engine under the hood of that clatter truck, and, as I have discovered, the other mundane stuff the belt drives like the power steering pump ain't cheap either. I'd say replace the belt, the tensioner, and if the water pump is original, replace that too. Cheap insurance against future misery.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
Since the serpentine belt drives most the important stuff (water pump, alternator, power steering) when it lets go you're stuck. Personally, I'd rather just change it than wait for it to just let go and strand me.

I completely agree. An 11 year old vehicle with 120,000 miles is past due. Why wait until it goes when you are loaded down, driving in bad weather in the middle of the night? I had a 6 year old serpentine belt let go, and it looked great up until the time it let go. Time takes its toll.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
Since the serpentine belt drives most the important stuff (water pump, alternator, power steering) when it lets go you're stuck. Personally, I'd rather just change it than wait for it to just let go and strand me.

+1
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try to do as much PM on mine as I can....with the 8.1 being out of production, no matter you need it's pretty much guaranteed not to be in stock anywhere....

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a mechanic to replace the belt. He said the hoses were good. I want to thank everyone for there replies.
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are a bit mechanically inclined then Serp belt and hoses on a RAM/CUMMINS is not a hard job at all.

On the other two not so much!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd change the belt and the upper/lower rad hoses because they are pretty easy to do and why risk it when it's so easy to do?

Now, when I look at my 13 F150 Ecoboost... That's not so much the case! It ain't gonna be as easy to do as it was on my 97 F150, but I'll probably think about it after it's 5th birthday.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last thing I want is to be traveling out of town and have a hose burst or a belt break and have to be towed to a garage, stay at a local motel for a night or two while the vehicle is repaired.

Water hoses as they age can collapse on the intake side of the radiator and reduce coolant flow and make the engine run hotter. Belts can slip and reduce the effectiveness of the AC or the alternator.

I replace the hoses (radiator and heater) along with the coolant every 5 years, and the belt as recommended by the manufacturer. That way I never have an unplanned repair required while I am out traveling. Even worse with a trailer in tow.

I have put more than a million miles on my tow vehicles over the past 30 years and never lost a day with an unscheduled repair. Cheaper to do it before it has to be done and avoid the tow charges, the motel and restaurant costs, and the lost time. The risk to the trailer is another aspect as well as finding someone to tow the truck and the trailer.

Yak
Explorer
Explorer
You can inspect hoses all day and not see the issues on the inside