cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service "Package" for TT Spring Inspection

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I own a 22 foot TT, just purchased in June 2016. My wife and I took about 7 trips with this TT, all within New England last season. Does it make sense for us to have this TT "serviced" by the dealer with a multi-point inspection "package" (brake check, furnace, water heater, plumbing, roof and window seals, battery, etc) for $500 ? I currently have the TT in for a small repair and to have the electric brakes checked anyway.
thoughts?
thanks, Phil
16 REPLIES 16

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, that 500 dollars is all labor and pure profit to the dealer. Personally I do/would not trust a dealer to do a good job. For maybe 50 dollars in material for a couple tubes of Dicor I can inspect and reseal almost every outside seam on my trailer. The rest just takes time. But, if your not handy I guess you will have to spend the money.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
Solid question, makes sense to ask it. And the answer to this is simple, how cheap are you. lol.

The breaks can easily be checked by yourself, you just pull the wheels off, the little bearing disk thing, then you can check the pads that go around the drum type thing, if they are low, replace them, if not, put it back on, jack up your break controller to a high amount, move forward a little, and see if you can skid the tires. If you can, and the pads look good, check, you just did what they WONT do.

Furnace can be checked by pulling off the outside box (or inside), you're looking for rust, and tight fittings. Check the gas line going into it, make sure it's empty, drain it, etc. From here, you're just tightening fittings, ensuring the gas line isn't leaking , and giving it a once over. The same applies for the furnace blower, which will always be inside, make sure the fittings are tight, this is where you live, it's inside, so it's pretty important. I imagine you used the heater quite a bit up north 🙂

water heater is the exact same way. It's likely an electric heater, look for RUST, tighten fittings, give it a once over. you can pull the elements out, see if they look good and spay. Each unit is obviously different, they should ALL have owners manuals.

if you have an enclosed underbelly... might be best to let them check for the plumbing if they go under. That will be a royal pain. If they do not, you can check EVERY fitting, going to just about everywhere, including your tanks from under the tt, same goes for inside. Every two times i go out, i check specific fittings after I had a leak, it's no longer an issue. Check your sink, under bathroom sink, check the access door under the shower , tighten, and look for past water access.

The roof and window seals is important. I don't know HOW they check them, but i spent all weekend at my parents house because they had more broken seals on the roof than i've ever seen. personally, all you should have to do on the roof is inspect, it hasn't been long enough you shoudln't have any broken / cracked seals really. Do you store it outside without any cover? The heat will murder your roof, literally. If / when it does come time to start replacing seals, I took a shiv, and took off all the existing sealant ( all but a little anyways ), and re-sealed everything on the roof ( my parents ). While you're up their, check the edges around the edges, press down, does it feel hard / sturdy like the middles ? Also check the front where the cap meets the roof, this is a huge fail spot, see if it's tight still in their, it will likely have a **** load of sealant, look hard, just look for cracks, if you find any, and it's minor, just re-seal, if you can stick your fingers in the seals where the cracks are, start taking the sealant off and just re-sealing completely.

Don't forget to check the seals on the slide if you have any, the roof of the slide likely doesn't have an awning if it's 22 feet, if it even has a slide, check the roof for the slide!

If you don't wanna do all that, just pay the 500 bucks, a GOOD inspection with NO fixes needed on your end, should take 2 - 3 hours.

Fo you think 500 bucks is worth 2 - 3 hours of your own time ?