cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shocked at lack of quality

TheGreatWaz00
Explorer
Explorer
Well, went to look at the Aerolite 315BHSS and 319BHSS this weekend and I was shocked at what I would call lack of quality. Maybe I am looking at the wrong level of TT or have too high of expectations but my observations.

1. The exterior was nice clean, sleek.

2. Fit and finish of the interior was poor. You can easily see where they chalked the ceiling where the nail holes were made. Not just a little but almost every hole.

3. The trim around the wood was loose, flimsy.

4. The bathroom door would not close.

5. Bed mattress were TERRIBLE. Might as well not have one and sleep on wood. A human body would compress them to the thickness of paper.

6. The woodwork finish was low end - the "distressed" look looked like someone took a single chip out of a door corner or a file to the front of a cabinet door.

7. The location of the toilet let little space to finish your job in there - if you know what I mean.

8. The kitchen table, with two legs, the legs were so close to the seat of the U shape table that you could not get your knees and feet past them.

Am I expecting too much??????????????????????

Now as a side note I have a Ram 1500, towing capacity 9600 lbs. The TT dealer was trying to sell me on the 319BHSS at 8300 lbs shipped. What a goof!!!!! He said you would never put 1300 lbs in the and trailer. Well gasoline weights 6 lbs per gallon, 25 gallons is 150 lbs. Family, another 800 lbs. That is before food, clothing, a little water in the holding tank.
Waz's from Maryland
Rockwood Roo 23ss
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
43 REPLIES 43

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
My current Pacific Coachworks TT was made by the original owners. The company has since been sold once or twice and it's my understanding that the quality is not what it was originally.

I think that this is also a sad fact in this industry as in others. There are those that swear every time Fleetwood bought out another brand when they were acquiring companies back is the early 2000's the quality went right down the toilet. That was for those that they didn't put ought of business completely like Eagle Cap truck campers.

So it's not just the brand name that can make a difference, but who is running that particular brand when your unit is produced.

On another note I have never seen any other RV that was as well constructed as my '05 Lance 981 truck camper. I love the space in the TT and the quality is pretty good, but it's not close to how that Lance was made. They stood behind this products then also with a full 2 year warranty. I think they dropped that when the RV industry went south in '07. That's when they went back into the TT business too.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
When the shop called to write up our trailer after it was hit by hail, they said the value was less than a grand under what we paid three years ago. The insurance was about two grand under but with the taxes and licensing, was close to the same.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jmdprice wrote:
I just knowingly bought a new 2014 Prowler Lynx 26lx which is low cost and below entry level (if possible) but it fits our needs for a camping utility of no more than 2-3 weeks a year mainly in the local area. I have had 3 Jaycos, 2 Fleetwood upgraded models, a Kit Companion and early vintage Shasta. So "qualit" is also a function of intended use and individual capacity to "upgrade" and fix trailer components and fixtures. My new Lynx is bare bones but I plan to add (which I already have) a 32" flatscreen, some extra hinges and cabinet lifts, maybe upgrade the floor linoleum, some towel bars, mattress topper, two battery system and when it goes out, an upgraded converter. My low end unit has the same Norcold, ARI, Atwood, Drexel B&L etc. components as other mid to high end units, frame is the same as are tires. Finish work itself is no different either as all rvs have ceiling staples covered in caulk although mine is absent (thankfully) a lot of gimp strip. I think a family of four or five would be crazy to buy a 30-40K bunk bed travel trailer for 2-4 weeks use when an entry level same floor plan unit could be had for less than half the price. It should remembered,too, that all RV's (to one extent or another) have their issues regardless of their perceived quality or lack thereof.

Very well said. I'll add that we all know RV's depreciate. Buying low end means you lose way less on depreciation. That $50,000 TT/5er will be worth only $35,000 after a couple years. The $15,000 unit will be worth $10-11,000 after the same amount if time. Sometimes it's hard to swallow the amount you lose on theses RV's.

It's hard to not want all the bling and other features of more expensive RV's. But dang you sure lose your arse when it comes time to sell/trade.

jmdprice
Explorer
Explorer
I just knowingly bought a new 2014 Prowler Lynx 26lx which is low cost and below entry level (if possible) but it fits our needs for a camping utility of no more than 2-3 weeks a year mainly in the local area. I have had 3 Jaycos, 2 Fleetwood upgraded models, a Kit Companion and early vintage Shasta. So "qualit" is also a function of intended use and individual capacity to "upgrade" and fix trailer components and fixtures. My new Lynx is bare bones but I plan to add (which I already have) a 32" flatscreen, some extra hinges and cabinet lifts, maybe upgrade the floor linoleum, some towel bars, mattress topper, two battery system and when it goes out, an upgraded converter. My low end unit has the same Norcold, ARI, Atwood, Drexel B&L etc. components as other mid to high end units, frame is the same as are tires. Finish work itself is no different either as all rvs have ceiling staples covered in caulk although mine is absent (thankfully) a lot of gimp strip. I think a family of four or five would be crazy to buy a 30-40K bunk bed travel trailer for 2-4 weeks use when an entry level same floor plan unit could be had for less than half the price. It should remembered,too, that all RV's (to one extent or another) have their issues regardless of their perceived quality or lack thereof.
1997 24' Kit Companion. 2006 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 liter. I know, I know.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still pretty happy with the Jayco. The build pretty mirrors a mobile home build standard.

While it's not top notch luxury or even high end build quality, for the bit over $14K it was, it seems like a bargain. It was was a bargain compared to others I've seen that were falling apart on the lot from lousy build quality along with lack of good appliances and other features that are standard or at least inexpensive options on Jay Flights.

If this trailer ever has to be replaced, it will likely be another lighter Jayco Jay Flight.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

wgp
Explorer
Explorer
First trailer bought last year. We shopped a lot, including a lot of used units. It was pretty clear right away that these are built balancing on the edge between quality and light weight. Our Jayco seems pretty well built, within that balance, and I can accept that. Looking at used units it seemed clear to me that RVs, especially if stored outside in weather, don't age well.

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I went to the Rv show here today. The trailer that stood out as really poor was the Shasta retro. It really looks cheesy. The other retros were nice.

I tried to look with the picky eye but rig after rig is just too much. I also wonder how many of the rigs have gone through the process so that they looked better at the show. I even had a pretty decent offer for the Amerilite. We wouldn't mind going bigger but there wasn't anything I'd take on a new set of payments for.
Im sure they pick out the best of 200-300 units and go over them for hrs before they get to the show.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

AmericaOverland
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
As for lightweight trailers, don't pass up the Keystone Bullet line.. Ours and many others have been flawless for years now. 31BHPR comes to mind for you.

Waaayyyy too heavy for my tow vehicle. It has to be under 3500 lbs, preferably around 2600-2800 lbs so that I can account for my personal things, fuel, food, and my body.

It's looking like my option, if I can find downtime and a port to park my trailer under, is to convert this into a lightweight Tiny House done the right way.

UncleDonald
Explorer
Explorer
We had one, sold it within a year. It litteraly looked like they had a bunch of spare parts left over and wanted to make just one more.. Plumbing broke, lost both bearings on the same axle, etc. Nothing but junk.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Rv show here today. The trailer that stood out as really poor was the Shasta retro. It really looks cheesy. The other retros were nice.

I tried to look with the picky eye but rig after rig is just too much. I also wonder how many of the rigs have gone through the process so that they looked better at the show. I even had a pretty decent offer for the Amerilite. We wouldn't mind going bigger but there wasn't anything I'd take on a new set of payments for.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 Jayflights, and i can say, they give you the best bang for your buck...... reason they are the #1 trailer line in North America. But, if you look real close, you can see their imperfections too..... but when i didfind 'em, they were minor issues not worth losing any sleep over. You can buy the Taj Mahal , or a trailer like a Jayflight, and at the end of the day, they both do the same, except the one saves you $ to do other things!
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Two jayco with no problems except a little sloppiness in filling in bathroom nail holes.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a HR Presidential TT in '06, we have had zero issues with it, have been impressed with the structure and the fit and finish.
We can walk on the roof, have never had a leak.
We did take the carpet out and replaced it with vinyl because we have dogs and beach it a lot but that was our choice.
Now if we were going to purchase a new one I would look at Jayco first and I'll tell you I would not look at any HR TT made after 2009, they're junk made for the entry level camper who I feel sorry for if they buy one.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I am VERY satisfied with the quality of the Bullet. What convinced me on buying this model was not only me checking out everything in detail, but also a salesman who was a camper and owned the same exact model. He had just returned from Disney Fort Wilderness, and gave me all the ins and outs of how it held up, towed, etc. SOLD!
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?