cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shocks, towing vs. hauling?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of changing from a heavy camper hauler to a 5th wheel tower. I've used Rancho adjustables for my heavy hauling and was curious is towing presented a different set of needs with regards to shocks?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
5 REPLIES 5

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I also have Rancho adjustable on my W350, always on max with the Lance TC, but have moved to a 25ft TT and moved them to the min setting for a more tollerable ride.

You may just need to try it one way then adjust and try again for your own results.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Bedlam
If you have the adjustable Rancho shocks, try the middle setting around 5 and at maximum 9. If the dampening setting is set too soft, you will feel that fore and aft rocking. If it is set too firm, bumps will be more jarring than they should be.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Shocks are called dampers in other parts of the world. The purpose is to dampen spring rebound and are selected by the strength of the spring. A heavily loaded spring pack might compress to engage the overload leaf thus becoming a stronger spring. Only you can decide if the dampers are controlling the springs in your application.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dave. I was wondering since pin weight was significantly less than camper weight if a softer shock would provide a better ride.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I max my ranchos out for the TC and the 5th wheel. I have tried less aggressive settings and found max is easiest and best for both applications.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL