cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short bed truck camper

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering trading in my MegaCab 3500 dually for a long bed, but I think I may keep it now. What are your recommendations for short bed truck campers? I have a payload rating of 5316. There are 4 of us so a side is probably a must as well as an option for a bunk above the dinette.
19 REPLIES 19

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
maxum1989 wrote:
S Davis wrote:
There is the host Rainier triple slide.

https://www.hostcampers.com/product-gallery-rainiersb.html

I have often wondered what vehicle could properly carry this short box camper. Its huge and heavy. The mega cab dually is a good payload match with a short box to go with it as well. A perfect match?

I am considering one for my 2500HD:)

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
The Host Rainier seems to be built for the 3500 mega-cab RAM. When I bought ours We had an F-350 short bed SRW Ford. It was OK bringing the empty camper home but when fully loaded for use our rear wheels and tires needed to have their capacity increased. I had trouble getting 19.5" wheels and found this F-450 so my problem was solved. The dual wheel 3500 would not have that same wheel load problem.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
run100 wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:
run100 wrote:
Let me know if I can answer any questions about the camper and traveling with the family.

How do the kids handle the smaller space? Mine are 2 and 6 so they are pretty small now, but if we get this camper we will have it for a while. We currently have a 40ft fifth wheel so it's going to be a bit of a shock to everyone in the loss of space, but we want to get off the beaten path a little more than pulling a 40 footer behind us will allow.

Our kids are 10 & 14 and are still doing good with the space.

10&14 was last summer for us. They still fit for quick overnights but last summer I kicked them out into a tent. Much easier to not have them and all their smelly clothes stuffed in the camper at night!
They both slept on the dinette bed until 8&12 and it was getting cramped but our new,older, AF we bought a few years ago has the drop down bunk so that helped for a while.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
S Davis wrote:

I have often wondered what vehicle could properly carry this short box camper. Its huge and heavy. The mega cab dually is a good payload match with a short box to go with it as well. A perfect match?
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Okanagan 811 and loved it. They are not made now but I've seen a few good used ones about.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
run100 wrote:
Let me know if I can answer any questions about the camper and traveling with the family.

How do the kids handle the smaller space? Mine are 2 and 6 so they are pretty small now, but if we get this camper we will have it for a while. We currently have a 40ft fifth wheel so it's going to be a bit of a shock to everyone in the loss of space, but we want to get off the beaten path a little more than pulling a 40 footer behind us will allow.

Our kids are 10 & 14 and are still doing good with the space.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
run100 wrote:
Once we added a second child, our non-slide Lance 820 felt a little cramped. When looking to upgrade, we evaluated all the shortbed campers to find one that best fit the needs of a family of four. The Lance 830 was a strong contender, but it was discontinued during our shopping process and we were also a little concerned of how the tent would hold-up in the Arizona heat.

So, 5-1/2-years ago, we bought the Lance 855S and have been very happy with it. Our son sleeps on the bunk bed and daughter sleeps on the dinette bed. It's easy to transition the beds back and forth and makes an efficient use of the available space. The bunk's child restraint system prevents our son from rolling out of the bunk during the night - which gave us peace of mind when he younger.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
My reccomendation is you should get one!
The big Short bed capable campers are 8.5-9’ long anyway. You’re only giving up, for the most part, the ability to have a bigger dry bath and some inside storage compared to the longer models.
You can plop any one of them on your truck with minimal mods or considerations.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Once we added a second child, our non-slide Lance 820 felt a little cramped. When looking to upgrade, we evaluated all the shortbed campers to find one that best fit the needs of a family of four. The Lance 830 was a strong contender, but it was discontinued during our shopping process and we were also a little concerned of how the tent would hold-up in the Arizona heat.

So, 5-1/2-years ago, we bought the Lance 855S and have been very happy with it. Our son sleeps on the bunk bed and daughter sleeps on the dinette bed. It's easy to transition the beds back and forth and makes an efficient use of the available space. The bunk's child restraint system prevents our son from rolling out of the bunk during the night - which gave us peace of mind when he younger.

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Arctic Fox 811 is my vote
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve enjoyed our Arctic Fox 811S
two of us with 80# lab
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree with the Lance 830. I used to own one but it was a little heavy for my truck. I would still have it otherwise. I still regret selling it. I should have changed trucks.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
I second the vote for the lance 830. Pros-tent room in the back so kids can have their own cabin, read this as giving the parents some space up forward-great window design, lots of airflow- more floor space for people not stepping on each other. Cons- last year was 2012 so none new-tents do wear out and I don't think in production anymore so custom build on tent-dinette not well designed, we cut ours down-no built in genset but Honda 2000 runs ac-hard to find for reasonable price. There are more pros and cons but subjective to individual preferences. Good luck