cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I buy this Sunline today?

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Sunline T-1950 today only for $4000. Seems like a very good deal to me...photos show good condition, second owner purchased through a dealer, everything works, no leaks. The catch is its nearly four hours away and has to be today. I've bought and sold several campers over the last few years, so I kind of know what to look for. I have the cash and the time today, it's the size camper I'm looking for (though a little heavier than the KZ'S and Salem Cruise Lites I've been considering).

Any reason I shouldn't go look at this camper with the idea of buying today? I've always considered sunlines higher end campers, but I recall something about them being bought out in the later years and quality declined. Anyone have experience with 2006 model year Sunline TT's? Anything to add? Comparisons of 2006 Sunline to a newer 2011-2013 ultra light like a KZ sportsmen or Salem cruise lite?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did go look at the trailer, unfortunately, found issues that caused me to drive home with an empty hitch. The photos were taken at my request, so were current...the trailer looked great, really well maintained and I loved the fit and finish in the Sunline...night and day difference between that and the quality I've seen in dozens of other mass produced campers. Problem was a soft spot in the floor, suspect area in the roof and non-functional fridge...I think the fridge was a quick fix issue...any one of the problems I probably would have dealt with, but together I figured it was more of a project than I wanted. Sure had a hard time walking away, I reeeallly like that camper, but I think I made the right call. Felt bad telling the sellers, nice older couple that apparently had no idea of the problems. She did the honest thing and updated her CL ad immediately.

Born2camp
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking for a used Nash 22H and found one on CL 5 hours away, we decided to go for it. Ended up buying it and drove it home same day. So glad we did because it was just like the pictures showed. The way I figure if it's not right you will know and we got a great price on it.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see from my signature I am partial to Sunline. :B

The T1950 is a popular model that usually gets sold quickly. DO check it carefully for leaks and soft spots in the floor. I looked at a lot of units before I found my Sunline but none had the fit and finish of the Sunline IMHO.

As I post this it is a little late to go today but I think it is worth a look.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I would go and look,if I liked it I would buy it. You are not that far off on price to resell if you are disappointed

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I would at least ask if the pictures are recent.

I traveled almost 4 hours to see rig only to realize the photos on CL where of a much younger and more youthful picture of the camper I was now standing in front of.

I thought I was going to see a Taylor Swift and ended up seeing Bette Midler. Wont fall for that one again.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! Check it out. If all looks good to you, buy it.

We just traded our 2006 Sunline Solaris T-2075 this Spring only because we wanted a little more room. We purchased a 2016 Arctic Fox TT, which is supposed to be top quality. Not compared to our Sunline, it isn't. That's all I have to say..........

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 .

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
I never buy high dollar items without sleeping on the decision. However, a four hour trip makes that tough.

I would look at it and if it was perfect, okay; any questions an I would sleep on it.

There is always another used TT out there.

Almost any use TT is going to need some work.
The last two TT I sold were in like new condition. One sold in a hour and the second sold in 10 hours. One person that looked at the second trailer a hour after I put it for sell said he would let me know tomorrow, he was upset that I had already sold it when he called the next day.

If it's what you want and it sounds like the price is right I would go for it. Just make sure you check it out.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Sunline for 10 years and has been the best of the 3 TT that I have owned. The quality is there, the furnishings are top-class, the layout is perfect for us and I have not had a single problem with the exception of general maintenance.

We have spent over 300 days in the camper and people always remark that it looks brand new (I do clean it after every trip).

If there are no leaks - go ahead and buy it.

BTW - look underneath and check out the chassis - I power-wash and spray mine with oil every year just to make keep any rust at bay.
Gerry

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
IMO transfer no money until you have the title or registration!

If the price is to good to be true, its probably a scam.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I never buy high dollar items without sleeping on the decision. However, a four hour trip makes that tough.

I would look at it and if it was perfect, okay; any questions an I would sleep on it.

There is always another used TT out there.

Almost any use TT is going to need some work.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
phishheadmi wrote:
Actually, the seller's not put me in any rush. Today is the only day I have available in the next two weeks. Also, they've agreed to $4000 which is significantly less than they're asking on CL, so I'm afraid if I wait too long someone else will offer more.

Okay. My concern was, it was a possible set up.

Obviously, you must inspect it in person.
If I was interested, I would definitely travel four hours. Many times you need to act quickly to get a good deal.

Look it over and make your decision.

Let us know what you decide.

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
I see the NADA low retail on this camper is $4400, average $5300. Things in my area (as in most) tend to sell significantly higher than NADA values.

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the seller's not put me in any rush. Today is the only day I have available in the next two weeks. Also, they've agreed to $4000 which is significantly less than they're asking on CL, so I'm afraid if I wait too long someone else will offer more.