cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slide making popping noises

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "new to me" 30 ft. Open Range TT that I really like. Having a problem that I hope the group can help me with. The TT has three slides and one of them, the super slide in the living area makes some really loud noises when opening and closing, but especially when closing. As I'm bringing it in, the slide seems to pause for a split second, then it jerks and toward the end of the travel into the trailer, it makes a loud noise. It seems to be coming from one side and not the other. It's as if the cable is slipping or in a bind. I can't view it close to the motor and gear that operates the chain drive, but I can stand on a ladder at that end and observe the motor and gear and chain and it doesn't seem like that is the problem. I'm guessing that it is in the pulley system and while I went outside to observe the cables which seem to be fine, I can't see where the pulleys are to see if the cables are on track. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrandpaKip wrote:
We have a BAL cable slide, but it’s a lot smaller than yours. It has made popping sounds for the 6 years we’ve had it. I had a cable become unattached. I had to remove the top trim to reattach and then tightened the cables. Still pops some.
. I have this same system and it has made popping noise for 10 years that I owned the MH. It has never failed to open or close and of all the systems in the MH it has been trouble free.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
yonehip wrote:
If you have a slide making popping noises when you use it, try to locate the source of the sound. Also, you can visit ***Link Removed*** to get useful information to complete the thesis assignment easily. If the noise is coming from the slide's release button, one of the fix suggestions would be to take off the lens and move the slide release button up and down with your finger a few times and then reattach your lens.

What?
Not only is reading comprehension a problem, but so is writing comprehension.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

yonehip
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a slide making popping noises when you use it, try to locate the source of the sound. Also, you can visit ***Link Removed*** to get useful information to complete the thesis assignment easily. If the noise is coming from the slide's release button, one of the fix suggestions would be to take off the lens and move the slide release button up and down with your finger a few times and then reattach your lens.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a BAL cable slide, but it’s a lot smaller than yours. It has made popping sounds for the 6 years we’ve had it. I had a cable become unattached. I had to remove the top trim to reattach and then tightened the cables. Still pops some.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Look Here. tons of info on "popping slide noise"

https://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/index.php?sid=8436841fb3d00274a0f093179638b743
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Always start with the easiest issues first.
lube
It's not always the solution, but the simpliest is often also the best.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's a rack and pinion style slide, the shear pin on one side may have broken - that's exactly how they act when it breaks.
The shear pins used for residential snow blowers are the same part and may be easier to find.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's probably where the fabric meets the metal at the end of the plywood under the slide. It may be catching on the interior carpet or plastic slide guide.