cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sloppy Tranny

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
Just curios to know if others that tow a lot, notice when you are backing up to hook up, and you get that ball perfectly lined up under the hitch, and you put it in park, the truck rolls forward several inches. Is this typical? I started setting the parking brake.
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert
28 REPLIES 28

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
Left foot was for the clutch, parking brake, and (in the day) high beam switch. :B
Don't forget the intermittent wiper and wash pump for the windshield.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Don't believe the movement is in the trany. I'm pretty sure it is in the U joint, and diff. After all. Once you put it in park. The trany is disengaged, and the rear end is holding the vehicle.
IF you would ever raise both rear tire off the ground with the selector in Park. You could see that IF you turn one wheel forward the other will spin backwards. It is designed so that when in park. they fight each other and keep the vehicle from rolling.

:h :h :h

What high school auto mechanics class did you take???

The parking Pall locks the output shaft of the transmission, thus locking the drive line (as in it can't turn), that is why you don't roll (much anyway).

No class. But I have been under cars and turned the rear wheels, and saw one turn one way, and the other go the other way.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Here is my version and will try to stay out of the ozone layer.

When you got the truck where you want it and your right foot is on the brake to hold it there, take the left foot and set the parking brake. now you can release both feet and put it in park. If you have to use the gas pedal, when you get the truck where you want it, just slide your right foot onto the brake pedal and then use the left to set the parking brake. Whatdoyathink?

:h

I guess it is just part of the modern way to drive. :S

I was taught right foot works throttle pedal and the brake pedal, as you either need one or the other.

Left foot was for the clutch, parking brake, and (in the day) high beam switch. :B

I also think many of the mistaken pedal issues come from using right for throttle and left for brake. You war either going or stopping, so easy to use one foot for both.

That is the safest way to drive. All those people that drive through the front windows of stores are usually two footed drivers. Their mind says they are pressing the brake so they press harder but keep going.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

When you got the truck where you want it and your right foot is on the brake to hold it there, take the left foot and set the parking brake. now you can release both feet and put it in park. If you have to use the gas pedal, when you get the truck where you want it, just slide your right foot onto the brake pedal and then use the left to set the parking brake. Whatdoyathink?

Agree with your procedure in a lot of vehicles, but not mine (parking brake is hand-operated and located to right of steering column, can't get left foot over there.) :B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:

:h

I guess it is just part of the modern way to drive. :S

I was taught right foot works throttle pedal and the brake pedal, as you either need one or the other.

I also think many of the mistaken pedal issues come from using right for throttle and left for brake. You war either going or stopping, so easy to use one foot for both.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
a simple basic way of telling if you have a locking differential or not. With a locking differential both rear wheels will turn in the same direction.

This works only if the driveshaft is free to spin. If the transmission is in park (auto) or in gear (manual) an open diff will spin the other wheel the opposite direction. A locking diff will spin the other wheel the opposite direction too except it will be harder to spin since you have to overcome the internal clutch.

With the driveshaft free the open diff will spin the other wheel opposite while the driveshaft remains stationery. A locker will usually spin the other wheel the same direction and turn the driveshaft at the same time.

I say usually because the condition of the diff and the freeness of the driveshaft to spin have a lot to do with the outcome of this test.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, Sport45; You are right. I could have, or should have, added that too, but I try to keep my posts relatively short.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I liked the hand emergency brake by the drivers seat in my Fiat........

I could jerk the wheel, grab a hand full of brake and reverse directions in the same space as one lane :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
All vehicles do this.

Set the parking brake, problem solved.
Bob

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

I think manufactures took the Emergency out of the Parking brake when they cam up with the press to set, and press to release pedals.

I also remember driving a Chrysler 200 that the Parking brake was a push button! :S

The electric parking brakes work pretty good. At least the ones I have used in Chrysler vehicles. You can even set them to come on automatically when you put it in park. But you are correct, I don't think you can activate them unless you are stopped. But sure on that point.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
We really don't have emergency brakes, we have parking brakes. But p-brake doesn't sound quite right...

The last thing you'd want to do in an emergency is lock up the back tires of the tow vehicle. That's about as close as you can get to a guaranteed jackknife.
Emergency brake and parking brake are the same thing. This brake should be able to lock (skid) the wheel in normal conditions. If not you may need service or adjustment.

If the hydraulic brakes completely fail you might be inclined to risk the jackknife. For best results hold the release lever while you moderate the braking. You may only get one stop so best to completely stop in one motion and wait for a tow. Yes try to avoid skidding to a stop.

I think manufactures took the Emergency out of the Parking brake when they cam up with the press to set, and press to release pedals.

I also remember driving a Chrysler 200 that the Parking brake was a push button! :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sport45 wrote:
We really don't have emergency brakes, we have parking brakes. But p-brake doesn't sound quite right...

The last thing you'd want to do in an emergency is lock up the back tires of the tow vehicle. That's about as close as you can get to a guaranteed jackknife.
Emergency brake and parking brake are the same thing. This brake should be able to lock (skid) the wheel in normal conditions. If not you may need service or adjustment.

If the hydraulic brakes completely fail you might be inclined to risk the jackknife. For best results hold the release lever while you moderate the braking. You may only get one stop so best to completely stop in one motion and wait for a tow. Yes try to avoid skidding to a stop.

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
THanks everybody.
And I have had the trailer jump the first time I camped on a slope. Scared the bejesus out of me, until she settled into the chalks. Now, I always set the chalks, and then put the truck in neutral to let her settle before unhooking. I have not yet mastered the art of leveling, in other words, drive up on the blocks, just a hair past level, so when she settles into the chalks, she's level. Still takes me more than one try.
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
DID YOU KNOW? Contrary to common thinking, the primary purpose of the transmission's "Park" position (and parking pawl) is to keep the engine's power from reaching the drive wheels when the engine is running, not to stop the vehicle from rolling when parked - this is the job of the e-brake.

http://myautomatictransmission.com/transmission-parking-pawl.htm

โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk