cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Trailer for Tacoma

rfporzio
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm looking at small trailers in the 13-14 ft range that would be suitable to tow behind my standard cab 4wd Tacoma. The contenders are the Jayco 145RB and KZ 130RB. I like the extra windows, aluminum roof, larger tanks and 4 stabilizer jacks on the KZ. I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable with the 13inch wheels. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep my price point in the $11,000.00 -$13,000.00 range.
2012 Tacoma 4WD
2012 Camplite 5.7
18 REPLIES 18

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took a long hard look at an A-liner PUP, if we were going to go small, rather than a small TT.

Still undecided we rented the TT we really wanted, a 25 ft. It was obvious for us that that was the size we needed. But, that meant a new truck.

My point is, go slow, and rent something similar to what before you spend the big bucks.

Everyone was "their" right sized TT. Finding it before you buy save a lot of buyer's remorse.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be afraid of 13" tires. We had them on an '85 Wilderness performed just fine. I prefer 13" as they are cheaper to buy and lower the TT a bit. I want my TT on the ground for better aerodynamics.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

armond05
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 13ft Casita and my family loved it. Sold it because we bought a bigger trailer.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The weakest link on your 4 cylinder Taco is said to be the rear end gears, because they use a smaller gear set for the 4 than the 6. If worst came to worst and they got chewed up, you can replace with the larger gear set and be done.

Do not expect to win any races. Figure on driving about 55 mph, 60 at most. Keep it out of overdrive. Don't be afraid to slow down and shift down if it's struggling up a grade, and don't be afraid to rev it; the engine is built to work all day at high rpm if it needs to.

BTW, I was towing the KZ and the 17' Burro with a 2008 Highlander V6. But I know of people who tow the fiberglass trailers with 4-cyl vehicles including Tacomas.

I once towed a 13' egg 2000 miles with an '84 Dodge Omni 2.2L 4-banger and 5 speed stick. Less than 100 HP. It didn't hurt the car any. But we were only going 50 mph much of the time.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
"Profundit!" DW got a big laugh out of that one -- she accuses me of thinking that I am more profound than I really am.

Lol, sorry about that. I was close, well kind of, ok not really.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

rfporzio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. I do have the 4cyl. Its appears that if everything is set up properly I would not have any issues towing. I will talk with my tire guy once i get the specs. on the tires. If we could only get the temp. up above -15 here I may be able to venture out to the dealer.
2012 Tacoma 4WD
2012 Camplite 5.7

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Profundit!" DW got a big laugh out of that one -- she accuses me of thinking that I am more profound than I really am.

Anyway, yes, that's me -- see the blog links in my signature for descriptions of our trips with our 14 footer and of our Tacoma and the trailer itself. Fun Finder no longer makes a really small trailer, unfortunately.

A Tacoma built for towing (the bigger engine, the trans cooler, etc.) will do just fine -- we have gone into the darndest places -- steep hills up and down, sand, ice, mud, you name it. Slap on a set of really good tires, though -- the stock passenger tires could not stand up to sharp rocks on the forest roads.

Let me know if you have specific questions!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 KZ Escape E14RB, basically the same floor plan as the 130 you're looking at. Mine came with a lower-mounted axle and 14" tires. Even at that I had a blowout in year 3. 😞 I note that KZ lists an Off Road Package, with 15" tires and extra ground clearance; is that available on the 130RB? If so, you could factory-order one. Or flip the axle and add larger rims & tires, like MFL said; some Sportsmen Classic owners were doing this (I was on a KZ forum at the time). Definitely worth having more tire capacity; 674 lbs is not a lot, especially if you fill the hot water heater and the fresh tank... that's 215 lbs right there.

A boxy trailer like the KZ took my fuel economy down to about 3 mpg less than the fiberglass egg trailer (Burro) I previously owned. It makes a difference in performance, especially if you hit a strong headwind at altitude. Do you have the 4-cyl or the 6? The 4 will do, sort of, if you stay out of the mountains. But the 6 would be better. A Scamp or Casita will tow more easily. To hit your price point with an "egg" you'd be looking at maybe 8-12 year old trailers. I assume you're aware of molded FG trailers for sale site?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a good friend that tows a 13' TT, with 13" wheels, using a 2008 Tacoma. Works well for him. He tows some long distance with it. He even flipped the axle, making it a little taller, for better boondocking clearance.

Jerry

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
There is a member here, Profundit maybe, that tows a 14' FunFinder with a Tacoma. Hopefully they will be along shortly.

That would be profdant139, I believe.
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
There is a member here, Profundit maybe, that tows a 14' FunFinder with a Tacoma. Hopefully they will be along shortly.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not detecting “I really want this trailer” from you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rfporzio
Explorer
Explorer
Yes..The Cassita would be my first choice. Just trying to find a nice used one at my price point is the challenge. Although I am not giving up.
2012 Tacoma 4WD
2012 Camplite 5.7

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be looking at a 17 foot Casita. Well built trailer that'll last for years and also has a high resale value too. I tow one behind my 2017 Tacoma with row package. And I get on average 14 to 16 mpg towing.