cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
When ordering a new Popup TC (Bundutec), you get a choice of either a rear mounted, small window unit or a roof AC. Whats the pros and cons of each?? Or which make more sense in a popup?? The window unit is about half price of the roof AC.

Thanks,
50 REPLIES 50

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
keep in mind that the OP is deciding which to order on a new unit. not cobble up something from Home Depot. I assume in the new unit the AC is on a side wall probably under a counter, and only sticks out an inch or two, just enough to drain/exhaust.
bumpy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I don't spend all day in my camper. I only use the AC to cool the camper down when I return from the day's adventures.

How do you enjoy camping if you're inside all day??.

SATELLITE DISH AND BIG SCREEN
30+ years of RVing and I never had working TV in any of them.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I recently removed the AC from our small RPod because it was extremely loud. I replaced it with a Fantastic Fan.

I'd consider the noise factor of a rooftop AC if I were you....and go with a wall mount AC.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someplaces donโ€™t cool down much at night. I think they are talking about during the night.

Some ACs are really loud, seriously. They donโ€™t have to be, but you can look at youtube to see some of the differences.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't spend all day in my camper. I only use the AC to cool the camper down when I return from the day's adventures.

How do you enjoy camping if you're inside all day??

I don't understand how the noise that they produce can be all that annoying.

Listening to my ex wife was far more annoying than any AC unit I've ever listened to.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Freestanding ACs are heavy and besides, there is not much of a floor in a popup TC.

Exactly and not much floor space in a non slide either..Everyone has choices for the way they use there truck campers,most prefer the roof mount AC while others don't for there style of camping or the area they live in and camp in, rarely requires AC..A window unit is an alternative means in hot times..When it's really hot,I just throw the light weight window unit in the back seat just in case it is needed..

If buying a new truck camper with the option of a roof mount or window mount,it would be the much quieter window mount for me,permanently mounted.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Freestanding ACs are heavy and besides, there is not much of a floor in a popup TC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would investigate one of those free standing internal AC units before I would hang a window AC out the side of my RV.
bumpy

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are many different small window A/C units available. Some use significantly LESS power than others ! Buyer beware !! Shop and compare before you buy (unless you are always on shore power and there is no charge for electricity)

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a wall unit if I had the choice. I would go with a 8,000 BTU or 12,000 BTU Toshiba, Smart, Wi-Fi Remote, Energy Star. 8,000 runs off of 5.9 amps and the 12,000 BTU runs off 8.7 amps. Both are 115 volt. You can buy them at Home Depot. Both are on HD website. Small generator will power either. Bundutec will probably need the measurements or have one dropped shipped to Bundutec before build starts.

Can't wait to see your rig once it's done ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be tempted to get the wall unit and cover the roof with solar in an attempt to cool the TC when off-grid.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Dagwood_55 wrote:
I dont know how a window unit could be any louder than a roof top AC. Ours in our 5th wheel is so loud you cant hear the TV. So if its not too hot we run the bedroom during the day and the LR unit during the night.

That's how I ended up with an extra window unit..We had a new 30' travel trailer and the roof AC made so much noise that I bought a window unit and put it in the bedroom through the escape hatch..It kept the bedroom like a walk in cooler and that's where I parked when it got hot..LOL

The window unit is 10X quieter than a roof mount..Watching TV was quite nice with it on in the closed space off a TT bedroom...Same in the truck camper,barely heard watching the TV..

In my old Lance TC the brand new roof AC(13.5) i put on because the old one quit,was so noisy and constantly cycling,we rarely used it because of the noise..Watching the TV on the loudest setting was a chore and un-settling..Not so with the window unit and it keeps my 9.6 TC really cool..

I would love to see an option for a window unit install on a TC like they do in other small RV's instead of an AC meant for a larger RV..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know how a window unit could be any louder than a roof top AC. Ours in our 5th wheel is so loud you cant hear the TV. So if its not too hot we run the bedroom during the day and the LR unit during the night.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I was looking at Casitas they had an option of a roof type unit or thru the wall. to get a taller hanging closet you had to get the roof type because of their design. but their "window" unit only stuck out an inch or two. I certainly wouldn't want one with most of the unit hanging out. and I hated my RVs air conditioners before I got them with a wall mounted control, not the old twist knobs type. save the bucks only if you can stand the noise, etc. of the window units.
bumpy

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Who did you threaten to get a new roof unit for $500? I have not seen anything close to that. $1000 is more typical.

Dometic Roof AC Unit

It only took a second to google it. I bought mine 3 years ago.

It was a piece of cake like I said to replace. Its only held in place with four bolts.

And I just set it on a pallet and lifted it up to the roof with a skid steer.

They have adjustable vents?? Really?? LOL
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.