cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

smell in camper

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have always noticed a smell in our camper after traveling or when parked in driveway with the slides in. Today after setting up ladder to check roof I think I figured it out, it is the roof of the slide out. Put my nose right to it and same smell as in camper, main roof has no smell. I tried roof cleaner in small corner of it and did not help. Anyone else have similar problem?
18 REPLIES 18

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of adhesives used in making campers. The smells can be awful, especially in the summer heat. I can smell the odors in the clothes if we leave them in the closet for a while. It has a unique camper smell.

Ever go camper shopping in the summer heat? In the south, your eyes burn as soon as you walk in a unit that has been on the lot closed up in the heat. It's an incredible odor.

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked for any sign of mold or any other cause of smell in and out on top of slide, cant see anything

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm,,,I don't have a slide. But, when the slide is out there is a lip (made from a board) that keeps the slide from sliding out too far. When the slide is in you, or some young person, should be able to wiggle your self into a position to see the back side of this lip. It will be inside of the camper now. Is it possible that some moisture has gotten on the back side lf this lip between where it touches the wall of the camper when the slide is out? If it has maybe something is growing on there (mold, etc.) I'm probably wrong but, I thought I would throw this idea out there in case nothing else works.

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
dont think it is tank odor, have put deodorizer in traps and treatment in black tank, odor is still there after sitting closed up with slides in, odor does go away with slides out while camping or at home. i am thinking now i am going to leave slides out for awhile

Jimrv
Explorer
Explorer
I was just going to mention the sink traps. Since the smell appears after traveling, you may have shaken the water out of the sink traps on the road and the oders from your grey tank may be coming up through your sink.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
Also, make sure that all your other water traps (shower, sinks) contain water in the trap. Grey water tanks can give off odors too.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for being more aggressive with deodorizing the black water tank (bleach, detergent, ice chips - then drive around with almost full tank - then lots of water flushing). Is the seal in the toilet working properly and are you leaving some water in the toilet as an odor trap? I do not think the roof would smell that noticeably.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I had a formaldehyde smell in my previous TT when it was new, and it was really bad when the TT was closed up and really hot outside. The smell came from the building materials and glue used. It was so bad, it made my eyes burn at times. Eventually it started to dissipate but not for a year or so.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

coolestdude
Explorer
Explorer
If you think it might be coming from black tank try pouring a 1/2 gal of bleach into tank! Hope you figure it out.

Happy Trails!

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
Called dealer and he never had any complaints, he thought it might be the glue from roof, i think i will try and leave slides out for a week or two

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the slide out at home and let the top air out.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
No awning over slide and yes the smell gets inside camper when slides are in whether traveling or parked at home. I am going to try and call locall keystone dealer and see if they have had any similar complaints. It has always had smell, it is not something new, and the wife says she cant smell it

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a slide awning?? Maybe some funky stuff on the seals?? You might try an appropriate cleaner. Does the smell come inside the trailer or just outside? If you have a slide awning, you may want to try a good cleaning on both sides - reaching the underside of that awning is a challenge, but something like a soft long-handled car wash brush should help. BTW, when you rinse, especially the underside of the awning, use as gentle a spray as possible so it doesn't seep inside and allow to dry thoroughly.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

31cc
Explorer
Explorer
No, is has dinette and sofa, camper is a keystone premier 31bhpr. I am wondering if the roof material is glued down and it is from the glue.