cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snow birds and their RV size

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has changed! She hasn't enjoyed the driving part of any trip. We recently bought a new car and took a 5000 mile trip. I took our time so she wouldn't be uncomfortable. Well she popped up out of no where and said, "this would be better if we had an RV". Well, I almost ran off the road as I said, WHAT? I have been pushing the snow bird idea for a long time.

My question to all you snow birds, what size and kind of RV have you found is the best situation for you? We only have a 22ft trailer which wouldn't be big enough.
21 REPLIES 21

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There is 'NO' set size.

It is what ever you feel comfortable with. I Snow Birded and then on to Full Time and I have seen ALL DIFFERENT size RV's that people are quite happy to be RV'ing in.

I had a lady pull in next to me at one CG with a Casita. She was full timing for over 4 years in it. And was one VERY HAPPY camper!

Buy what "you" like not what others tell you is the only way. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have some friends that snowbird, they bought a used TT and leave it in Florida and don't pull back and forth any more.

they have a TT at home to use during the summer, he said he should have done it years ago, I think it is pretty common for folks that just are in it to escape the winter and not so much to see the country.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
We are having some angled cushions made for the corners and Hi-density seat foams. We already have little camp stools as foot rests.
Adventure before dementia

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
It was a wet winter wasn't it, even for us. We go to Quartzite for a month or so. It breaks the winter. Our TT is a OutdoorRV Creekside 20FQ. Great floorplan. The TV is a Dodge 1ton diesel, totally stress free driving. We do end up with Arizona pinstripes in the desert rock hounding. But any pickup truck is too fat.

Great camper!! I was talking to Ryan Pruitt @ Outdoorsrv and suggested that they offer that unit with either a jack knife sofa or dual recliners as an option to the dinette.
If they do that when i'm ready to upgrade in 2 years i'm going buy it.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We have been snow-birding for the last 4 years. What I have found is that it is not a one size fits all proposition. We have settled on a central Florida senior only park for our own various reasons. We prefer to stay the whole time in this park. We have a 35' (32 " usable) Travel trailer with triple slides. It gives us a full bedroom with plenty of room to walk around the sides and good dresser/closet space. We also have a 14'X10" living space with plenty of room with the opposing slides. No steps inside make it an easier to maneuver around in layout. I have towed this unit about 22,000 miles since we bought it. No tow or sway problems when towing with the rig in my sig. This keeps us comfortable for the 4.5 months we spend in the winter and also a great rig to camp in for the summer months. I would not want to go back to a smaller set up now but that is just me others have valid points about larger and smaller accommodations. WE HAVE RV'D A LOT OF YEARS NOW HAVING both class A and C units. In the end you will have to decide which fits your needs and wants. The TT we have now comes close to filling the needs and wants for us.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

granitebaygeeze
Explorer
Explorer
Adding to our initial post, truck's camper shell made a much taller storage area great for storing our bikes indoors and locked, and like my tail gate workbench. Bigger trailer really helps cabin fever when forced to be indoors longer than usual. Again, it's all about tradeoffs.

granitebaygeeze
Explorer
Explorer
We've been snowbird in for over a decade and prefer a travel trailer over a 5er or motorhome. No matter what you choose, you'll not like what you had to do without. Before snowbirding our camping trailer was a 19ft Prowler and we loved it. But for 2 months or more, more room was needed. We now have a duramax 2500hd truck pulling a 30 ft HR Alumascape.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I don't snowbird. 😞

But, I can see a Class A or C in your future. Take your wife and show her everything. Then, let her decide. 😉

NO NO NO and NO. You are the one driving it, You will be the one parking it in tight spaces, you are the one who is going to have to repair it, you are the one who will do the set up and take down (in most cases) You are the one who will "upgrade" it when you realize that an initial choice isnt right for you and you are probably the one who is working still (???) to pay for it.

Your wife deserves input for sure but you will have the overwhelming responsibility and work involved. Get the one that you feel the best and most comfortable with. Too many guys are *'whipped when it comes to this decision dont let it happen to you.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever RV you decide on, rent one first. There is a lot of merit to a snow bird rental if you are not the RV type.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a travel trailer that is 28 foot cabin with a narrow slide. We find it very comfortable for the 4-5 months we travel in the winter. We move often and have increasingly been boondocking on BLM land.

The trailer is small enough that it fits spaces easily yet has enough space for us.

The truck works well for touring around wherever we happen to be.

We have done this for 6 winters now.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmcdar wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RENT and take a LONG trip

Then see how that goes

I was thinking of doing such a thing a few years back and then found out that I had to rent THE camper they were renting. Not a camper that I would consider buying.

Also, it would have been $1000. per WEEK.

I figured I would buy one and if I didn't like it I would sell and get my money back.

I didn't like it --- I LOVED it!

No you can not rent the one you are thinking of buying BUT you can rent one similar.

Yes they are expensive to rent BUT cheap if you find out one or both do NOT like it ----FTng is NOT for everyone

Buy one..it becomes USED the second you sign in dotted line and therefore it's value decreases. Depreciation hit is HUGE on a NEW RV

That is why I suggest RENTING when folks are thinking about FT or ar Newbies looking to buy.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 33' Class A with 2 slide outs and full time in it with no problem. Floor plan is important. Walk around queen bed a must. Ours is diesel pusher. I would also get a vehicle to tow if you go with Class A for day trips.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to sit somewhere, you'll probably want something 30 feet and up. We have snow-birded 6-8 weeks with a 25 foot Class C which is less RV than your 20 foot TT. We did fine each time. It's cramped during the winter evenings, but it's better than a tent and better than being in the snow belt. I'd suggest you try your TT. Bring the title with you, and if you get to the point where you have to go bigger, there are lots of dealers in the snowbird areas.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RENT and take a LONG trip

Then see how that goes

I was thinking of doing such a thing a few years back and then found out that I had to rent THE camper they were renting. Not a camper that I would consider buying.

Also, it would have been $1000. per WEEK.

I figured I would buy one and if I didn't like it I would sell and get my money back.

I didn't like it --- I LOVED it!
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab