cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snow birds and their RV size

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has changed! She hasn't enjoyed the driving part of any trip. We recently bought a new car and took a 5000 mile trip. I took our time so she wouldn't be uncomfortable. Well she popped up out of no where and said, "this would be better if we had an RV". Well, I almost ran off the road as I said, WHAT? I have been pushing the snow bird idea for a long time.

My question to all you snow birds, what size and kind of RV have you found is the best situation for you? We only have a 22ft trailer which wouldn't be big enough.
21 REPLIES 21

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RENT and take a LONG trip

Then see how that goes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
We had an unusually warm above average winter here in south Florida so with that being said we didn't spend a great deal of time inside.
Dinner parties outside, watched ball games outside, really enjoyable.
We live all winter every winter in a 34' TT and no matter what the winter was like we never found it too small.
It's easy to take care of too.
Just figure out what your needs are going forward and you'll figure out what you need.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
It was a wet winter wasn't it, even for us. We go to Quartzite for a month or so. It breaks the winter. Our TT is a OutdoorRV Creekside 20FQ. Great floorplan. The TV is a Dodge 1ton diesel, totally stress free driving. We do end up with Arizona pinstripes in the desert rock hounding. But any pickup truck is too fat.
Adventure before dementia

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 20 years ago a small group from an organization I was involved in met with an architect to start talks about a new, large building. The architect took an approach to which I had never been exposed. He said he didn't want to talk about square footage, rooms, walls, or anything like that. He started out with a big flip chart (blank) and wanted to talk about activities, number of people, what was needed to support activities, timing, and how people moved from one space to another. After all this was bubbled out, it was easy to slip into matching spaces and such to the activities and traffic. As mentioned, you need to talk about and figure out what "snow-birding" means to you. Will you move every few days or will you make one long trip to your summer destination and stay put until you return? For some people, a motorhome towing a car is the best solution. For others, a travel trailer or fifth wheel with a tow vehicle is the answer. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Start out by searching and reading the forums - even check out the Escapees forums and RV-Dreams.com.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We snowbird four months a year with our 32' 5th wheel. This year we were gone 117 days with most of that being unplugged (no RV parks).

Some things to think about.
If you buy a class A you will need to tow a car with you.
If you buy a 5th wheel you will be driving your truck when you are sightseeing.
Do you want to be in an RV park with other RV's next to you?
Do you want to be out away from others?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Snow birding is not the same thing for all people.

Figure out what you really want to do BEFORE you shop!

My wife and I go to Florida for four months every winter. We stay in state parks, COE parks, and USFS parks.

We move often-every 10-14 days or so.

With all that said, we have a 20 ft Hybrid that we totally LOVE!

It is easy to maneuver and fits in virtually any camping site.

Many folks park it and sit all winter so maneuverability might not be so important.

ALSO - since we are living in our camper full time during those months, a FULL SIZE refrigerator and a stove with an oven were a must for use.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't snowbird. 😞

But, I can see a Class A or C in your future. Take your wife and show her everything. Then, let her decide. 😉