cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So would you go with a built in propane generator today?

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
So our NL has a generator compartment that will accomodate a Honda 2000. Thats the good news. Bad news is I am told the Honda will not run the A.C. Wondering what those of you that have had propane generators flet about yours and if you were to get a different TC, would you want the propane gene or not?
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
61 REPLIES 61

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
NW wanted $3200 for the built in propane genset..no thanks. As i have loved my last built in units, no way are they easier or better than Honda or other inverter gen units....
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
lincolnmatthews wrote:
I am with the "don't buy it" crowd. Had one on my old Lance, worked for about 50 hrs or so then it crapped out. Spent a Ton of money on it never did work right. When I ordered my new 015 Lance I didn't get it! I enjoy the extra storage!
I have a Yamaha 3000 which starts so nice & is quite & has a fuel shutoff to save the carb. I actually carry the gen behind the seat of my old Dodge ext cab, & haven't yet had a gas fumes. Works for us.

My Microlite stopped at 50 Hrs. which by the way is the recommended oil change interval. changed the oil, No filter as it is propane. fired right up.

My 2 cents
I don't find mine eats a huge amount of propane. It is very convenient and not very loud. I hear everybody telling me how quiet their Hondas are which is true but my budget will not work with the HIGH cost of the Honda. I might consider the champion 2KW stackable. Much cheaper and just as quiet if I needed a remote generator.
In the mean time the built in LP Generator in my 96 caribou is just fine.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
msiminoff wrote:
portscanner wrote:
Would you share which Honda you got and where you got it.

Here's the original thread about my genny swap.

The tri-fuel kit is from Central Maine Diesel.

Cheers,
Mark

I now have my new project!
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
portscanner wrote:
Would you share which Honda you got and where you got it.

Here's the original thread about my genny swap.

The tri-fuel kit is from Central Maine Diesel.

Cheers,
Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
msiminoff wrote:

My TC came with an Onan 2500, but I immediately removed it and installed a Honda (with tri-fuel kit) n the same compartment...

Would you share which Honda you got and where you got it?

My genny took a dump and due to business reasons, I need 110V. I figure my genny bay is about the same size as yours as we both have Alpenlight's.

Thx!
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Mattyd wrote:
So our NL has a generator compartment that will accomodate a Honda 2000. Thats the good news. Bad news is I am told the Honda will not run the A.C. Wondering what those of you that have had propane generators flet about yours and if you were to get a different TC, would you want the propane gene or not?

Our 2011 Arctic Fox 1150 has the built in Onan 2500 and we use it, specially nice in the morning to make coffee without going outside.

That said we typically use the built in jenny for the morning coffee and if we need to nuke something. Also great for on the roadside eating during the summer when you want A/C.

We also carry a Honda 2000 for night time charge up the batteries and lights etc.... its great as it will idle for hours on very little fuel. The Honda stays in the Enclosed Trailer with the toys (RZR and Quads) and we always have the fuel for the toys anyways.

I personally will only buy another camper, toyhauler or RV with a built in. Resale and convenience.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Gasser 2.8 Micro-lite here, 10 gallon tank, built onto under floor area of 1040 Lance. Support strut from trailer hitch to bottom of gen set tray relieves load on back of camper somewhat. It's loud and obnoxious but nice on cold mornings, electric heater, coffee maker, micro oven, two hours shut it down and hit the road. Bought a Onan resonator, dropped the DB a good bit.

rwiegand
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't have one. When I go camping one of the biggest attractions is having it be quiet. Last thing I want is the roar of a generator or air conditioner, mine or anyone else's.

My fair organ trailer has a 5.5 kW Cummins diesel generator on it that has been flawless through the first couple thousand hours of use, knock wood. I'm really happy when I get to the end of a day and can hit the off button though.
Cheers, Roger
www.carouselorgan.com
Lance 851
2007 Ford F350, Diesel, Dually Ext. cab

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
After 5 years of ownership I still don't miss having a generator of any sorts. I do have a Yamaha 2800 that will run my AC, but have never even though about trying to make a mount to carry it (would be easy with my fabrication skills).

After 3 years of camping with me in the TC, my wife has dropped her request of microwave and generator in our next camper. She realizes the food I reheat on the stove taste much better than microwave re-heated food.

Yes, we take long multi-week trips. Yes we travel when it is hot but if it's too hot to go without the AC, we stop in a campground that has power. I'm not going to listen to a generator run a long time. Yes, I've had a FW with a generator (actually the Yamaha 2800 I built into it) but only used the generator to run the AC once and that was at a local Jeep show my club was putting on, never on camping trips.

However, if I ever do start carrying one, it will be a portable unit because easier to get it worked on, easier to replace, and can be used in so many more places, and are generally quieter than the built in LP gensets. (It's the one thing I hate about traveling with my father, is his use of his Onan LP genset because it is so loud, though seems quit to him because of his hearing loss).
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reality Check wrote:
Got both, like both, going to keep both. They both have there place.

On board is convenient; Honda is quiet.

Carry both, use both.

X2
We use our Keurig coffee maker most every morning.
Power on demand. Sweet.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mattyd wrote:
Wondering what those of you that have had propane generators flet about yours and if you were to get a different TC, would you want the propane gene or not?

Mattyd,
An EU2000i might not start a 9000 BTU a/c unit in Eco mode and without Supco hard-start capacitor (there are a bunch of factors).. But with Eco off and the capacitor installed, it will start and run it just fine.

Personally, I'd never buy another new TC with a propane genny! My TC came with an Onan 2500, but I immediately removed it and installed a Honda (with tri-fuel kit) n the same compartment... However over the years I have discovered that by having lots of solar and battery capacity, I seldom need to run the generator at all. So, I have recently reloacted the Honda to the floor of my truck behind my seat which in turn has freed up valuable storage space and improved weight distribution.

The only items in my TC that use propane are the oven/stove and the Wave3 heater. This means that, even in near-freezing temp's, I can go weeks and weeks and weeks on my two 20lb bottles of LPG. Of course the water heater can operate on propane, but I typically opt to heat the water with the electric (12V/solar or 120V/inverter) heating elements.

Cheers,
Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got both, like both, going to keep both. They both have there place.

On board is convenient; Honda is quiet.

Carry both, use both.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have the built in Onan 2.5 Kw. in my '03 camper. Zero problems with it. It starts every time.
I like the convenience of the generator for what we use it for. We run it briefly for the microwave or toaster to fix a meal or to run the AC during a lunch stop. Really, I'd probably be just as well served with a big inverter and solar system but the camper came with a generator.
If I was going to use the generator a lot for long periods of time I would rather have a portable gasoline model. This would get it farther away from the camper and the fuel would last longer.
So, it all depends. How are you going to use your camper?

Makojoe238
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 13.5 ac unit with a polar cub. I also installed a hard start capacitor. I have a honda 2000 generator that I installed a propane adapter on. It runs my ac unit without a problem. It fits in my Lance 1130 generator compartment. I never carry gasoline and it seems to sip the propane.