cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaire TT Blew Over in Storm

miyzfrider
Explorer
Explorer
Came home today to find our Solaire 28QBSS TT over on its side after a pretty substantial thunderstorm came through our area. The trailer is a 2013, so we're pretty discouraged. I don't know that I want to even attempt to fix all that is likely wrong. I can't get into it because the door is on the bottom side. I can see the couch and table let loose and I'm sure crashed into the kitchen cabinets and door on the other side. And I'm sure the frame took a beating in the fall as well.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with the insurance company? I was told an adjuster might come by tomorrow.

First weekend of camping was scheduled this weekend for my son's birthday. 😞

Current Rig
2006 Silverado 2500HD CC Duramax
2016 Jayco 28BHBE TT
ProPride Hitch System

Prior Equipment
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crew Cab, 6L 3.73 (In Photo)
2013 Palomino Solaire 28QBSS 33' TT
2003 31' Gulf Stream Conquest Class C (Ford E-450)
101 REPLIES 101

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trailer was a 2005 salvage title that was totaled by the insurance company from cosmetic hail damage on one side of the trailer (aluminum). I have no doubt they will total yours also.
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
If they pay you off after "totalling" it, they may sell it back to you for pennies on the dollar. As long as you can get the slide out to work, the appliances to work, and it tows well, you may have a nice TT that you don't have to worry about.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
It was painful to watch the street-side wheels and tires deform while they were pulling it up.

Based on the scuffs, I'd check with the neighbors for any King Kong sightings. Just thinking about the force to both tip it and give it momentum to slide off your driveway makes me imagine a giant hand swatting at it.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I've been considering upgrading to the new vehicle replacement policy when my insurance renews, so I get what I paid instead of what it's "worth" in the insurance company's eye. It's only like $100 extra per year and you get diminishing deductible (at least with Progressive).
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

miyzfrider
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
It will be totaled! way too much "hidden" damage that will show up later on. On cars they go by 70% of the value to total. that unit needs to have the entire roof and curb side skin taken off to asses any damage. that in it self is reason enough to total. and the fridge is a concern as well. lots of other little things to worry about!

I hope you all are right because I don't want to worry about every little thing each time we camp. After observing the whole process, and seeing the ceiling buckled like it is, whether they total it or not, I don't think I want to keep it. I want to be able to enjoy our camping trips as a family and not worry about things breaking, water entering or it not towing properly. So it's likely we'll replace it regardless of what the insurance company decides to do.

Unfortunately we're going to take a hit financially on the whole thing whether they total it or not. Maybe tent camping isn't such a bad idea. 😞
Current Rig
2016 Jayco 28BHBE TT
ProPride Hitch System

Prior Equipment

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will be totaled! way too much "hidden" damage that will show up later on. On cars they go by 70% of the value to total. that unit needs to have the entire roof and curb side skin taken off to asses any damage. that in it self is reason enough to total. and the fridge is a concern as well. lots of other little things to worry about!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Also check for bent rims.

Don't ask how I know this.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it can be repaired you definitely will have a unique story to tell.

Good luck and thanks for the update.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I would also be betting on it being a total loss as I cant imagine the $ in labor that would go into rebuilding every part that came unglued, unhinged, bent/twisted etc during the upset. Nothing short of a return to the factory could make it new again...and I doubt that will happen.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be willing to bet they will total it and sell at auction. I have seen several that were sold with a salvage title. The insurance company does not want to leave itself open to future claims on the damages. Some were brand new trailers on the dealers lot that blew over.

miyzfrider
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
If they don't total it, I would certainly have the axles checked for alignment.

I will definitely be ensuring that the quote includes the ENTIRE unit being checked and fixed as needed to ensure it is either sale worthy and in the like new condition it was in prior to going over, or in the like new condition so we can keep it. So axles, propane system, plumbing, all hinges, slide function, appliance function, hot water heater function, a/c function....all need to be clearly checked and fixed if needed for me to consider it back to what it was and to be satisfied as a customer of the insurance company.

Being a 2013, and with the way we took care of it, it was like new. So I want it back in that condition! I'll be going up to the dealer either tomorrow or Monday to discuss it all prior to anything being sent to the insurance agency.

Fun, fun. 😞
Current Rig
2016 Jayco 28BHBE TT
ProPride Hitch System

Prior Equipment

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
If they don't total it, I would certainly have the axles checked for alignment.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow. Sorry for your situation!

I don't think I'd drag that down the freeway on a bet after watching the whole thing teeter on the side of the wheels! I can't imagine the axles not being toast.

I was thinking of the stabilizers up vs down after it was righted & rocked back & forth for a second - Maybe with the stabilizers up, the rocking would have lessened some of the wind force on the trailer - like a tree bending rather than breaking?

Thanks for the video, it was enlightening. And again, sorry and good luck with the ins. co.!

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody is going to buy that from the insurance company and get a super deal!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

miyzfrider
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some photos

Here is the outside. It was amazingly in decent shape. The awning is toast, as are the steps, both broken and/or bent. There are lots of scuff marks, but no visible wall damage.

But, when opening the door, I immediately saw the buckle in the ceiling.

Here is another shot, where you can see the gap now present above the bathroom wall and the cabinets

Current Rig
2016 Jayco 28BHBE TT
ProPride Hitch System

Prior Equipment