cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar mounting hardware on Palomino M2902

seraphim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm installing solar panels on top of my truck camper - a 2013 Palomino M2902 - but I'm unsure of the construction of the roof. Installation plans call for using a5/8" well nut, but that assumes the brackets are being used on an RV roof 3/8" thick. The TC roof seems thicker (plus I don't want screws sticking through the interior) and if there is foam for an inch, beneath the rubber roof, I'm not sure that would be strong enough hold the panels using well well nuts.

Any advice?
2012 GMC 3500HD Crew Cab LB 4x4 DRW with Duramax 6.6 diesel
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902.
[
6 REPLIES 6

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Document and post some pictures. Most of us don't get tired of looking.

You never know who might learn something from it.

Hey, I watch This Old House re-runs, and like the older ones better.
Joe and Evelyn

seraphim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

I did a little disassembly and under the rubber sking of the roof is 3/8" plywood. Not sure if there is foam insulation under that, the frame components were in the way, but I doubt it - except Joe stated his has the foam... Shouldn't interfere with a well nut expanding, though.

It's going to get up to 50F this afternoon, so probably the best day to put the panel's on; it's only gonna get colder. Deciding to be quick and lazy with wood screws, or use the well nuts and have to drill large holes.
[

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I used 1" screws and lots of Dicor. Also laid a strip of putty tape under each leg before installing the screws. Two screws per leg and everything smothered in Dicor. My panels been on for about 4 years and still rock solid. A lot of TC roofs are 1/4" plywood under the rubber roofing material.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
My 2003 M8801 was similar to a stress skin panel made of 40 mil EPDM glued to 1/4 inch ply bonded to ~1 1/2 inch block foam with ~1/8 inch ply on the inside.

It was very strong.

The perimeter of the roof and the roof openings were 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch solid wood for fasteners.

There were 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch solid wood cross members spaces on 4' centers.

If the M2902 is made the same way, I think it is, the only thing you would worry about is drilling into wiring.

If it were me, I'd give customer service a call and ask for a diagram of the wiring just to make sure you don't drill in the wrong spot.

Other than that, the 5/8" well nuts should expand when tightened and hold it fine.
Joe and Evelyn

seraphim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 2oldman for the links. Mostly, I guess, I'm curious about the roof construction on the TC. Then I'd know which fastener to use. It seems, through a vent hole under the propane tank, the outside is one inch foam with plywood on the inside. Not sure if the roof is constructed in the same manner beneath the roof's rubber.

Sorry if my question was too vague...
[

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
200w on TC on luggage rack
100w solar on TC
Mount panels 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman