cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solenoid valve for freshwater tank?

ezrydrs
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried one of these for a dump valve on the fresh water tank? My current valve is really hard to reach and these 12v solenoid operated valves can be had for about $25. It is a normally closed valve that would be turned on to empty the tank.
Valve
17 REPLIES 17

ezrydrs
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I cut 1/4 PVC pipe to 4 inch and 24 inch lengths and glued them together using an elbow and added a coupling to the long end to make an extension handle to reach the valve. I notched the open end of the coupling to fit over the FW tank drain valve. I can reach the valve with it by bending over and looking under the trailer.

That's perfect!!!
Thank you for the tip.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I can reach the valve with it by bending over and looking under the trailer.

BINGO.

I've been wondering ever since I got my Winnie what that short version of the awning "pole" was for.

Regardless of what it was intended for, I now have a good use for it.
Thanks for the idea.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I cut 1/4 PVC pipe to 4 inch and 24 inch lengths and glued them together using an elbow and added a coupling to the long end to make an extension handle to reach the valve. I notched the open end of the coupling to fit over the FW tank drain valve. I can reach the valve with it by bending over and looking under the trailer.

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
MANY solenoid valves will only operate when there is a minimum water pressure. Irrigation valves are like this, unless there is a minimum of 15psi or so they won't open because they use the water pressure to facilitate the opening of the valve. I do not know the specifics of the valve you posted but this is something you might want to consider when choosing a solenoid valve.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

ezrydrs
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Why not just extend current line out to an easy to reach place and install a manual valve on end of new line???

No DC power required just some PEX, fitting and pipe strap

That was my original thought, but then started looking at the solenoid valves. It's a gadget thing. lol

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Industrial quality. Should outlast the RV.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never dump my fresh water tank except at the end of a season.

But, it is true that I'm just a weekend camper and I go out almost every weekend. I also try to put the right amount of water in the tank so that it is used mostly up each weekend.

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just extend current line out to an easy to reach place and install a manual valve on end of new line???

This is just plain crazy talk. If you cannot make a suggestion that would involve using some type of gadget, chainsaw, generator, remote, air tools etc.. then keep this crazy type of thinking to yourself!.

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

That would be to easy and make to much sense. You know as a guy if you can"t provide some way of making things happen with the push of a button or switch it ain't worth doin'. 🙂

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider some kind of timing circuit to shut it off after an hour. At 3 amps if you go off and forget(wonder why I think this way) the batteries won't like you if your not plugged into shore power.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
RoyB wrote:
Sitting here wondering about what the CONTROL SWITCH PANEL LABEL would be named especially for the BLACK WATER TANKS..

I think you misunderstand.
This particular valve is NOT appropriate for emptying holding tanks of USED water; only the fresh water tank.

Yeah... you would need a bigger valve for the poop dump!!! LOL

Could you even imagine a trailer driving down the road when suddenly a poop dump solenoid opens.....

Sounds like a great idea for the fresh tank!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Sitting here wondering about what the CONTROL SWITCH PANEL LABEL would be named especially for the BLACK WATER TANKS..

I think you misunderstand.
This particular valve is NOT appropriate for emptying holding tanks of USED water; only the fresh water tank.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
ezrydrs wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these for a dump valve on the fresh water tank? My current valve is really hard to reach and these 12v solenoid operated valves can be had for about $25. It is a normally closed valve that would be turned on to empty the tank.
Valve

Excellent idea. I use the same valve body only with either a 120v or 208v solenoid in HVAC applications. Don't expect it to drain fast, it won't have a lot of flow with only head pressure.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900