cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solution on where to store receiver hitch

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
I welded a 2 inch receiver tube to the trailer frame to store the hitch while parked. It is off the ground and out of the way,

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F
43 REPLIES 43

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer

This is what a friend uses, it is called EzStorHitch. It stores the bars and hitch on the a frame.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the link to my Harbor Freight Receiver is broken, this one works.
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
I traded in my Ridgeline for my Ecodiesel Ram last year because I wanted a larger camper but before that I towed all over with my Ridgeline and 19' Shamrock loaded to about 5k lbs. Towed just great but gas mileage sucked at 8mpg.

Of all the things I miss, I miss the trunk (which kept all the camping stuff I now have to store when not camping) and the great winter driving performance. It cant compare to my Ram which tows about 7k (guestimate) effortlessly at 14+ mpg.
Thanks,
Bill

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great idea. I have a spare bolt on hitch for the bumper. Now I know what to do with it!

My Blue Ox hitch weighs like 80 lbs. I have a hard time moving it around using both hands, and I am only 34 and in shape! I don't think I could ever lift it up with one hand and try to latch it with the other.

2016-06-09_11-05-02 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Last Train wrote:
Strabo wrote:
Last Train wrote:
Or, if you have a Honda Ridgeline . . . you open up the in-bed trunk and drop your gear in there. It's locked up, out of site and protected from the elements.

So you tow with a Ridge line, wow really?

Now THAT is funny!

1600 lbs payload 5000 towing for 2017 Ridgeline

What is "funny" is that so many still seem uninformed about the capabilities of the Ridgeline. Tows our 22' Freedom Express 192 RBS solid as can be. (CAT scale weight when loaded up for a trip = 4500 lbs.) Built in transmission cooler & power steering cooler; plug & play for a brake controller of your choice; glides down the road with AWD keeping things stable; as long as you stay within its engineered limits, it actually provides a very positive towing experience. Down side is fuel consumption/mileage is unfavorable since our 2011 Ridgeline produces 247 lb./ft. of torque that is largely produced in the upper RPM range. Repeated trips in modestly hilly terrain yields approximately 9 mpg. Sure wish Honda would place a diesel in the truck. The new version's gas engine generates 30 more hp (280) and 15 more lbs./ft. (262) of torque, but I just don't know how much that will improve mileage. But tegardless, that in bed trunk still comes in handy for securely storing all kinds of gear . . .
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Last Train wrote:
Strabo wrote:
Last Train wrote:
Or, if you have a Honda Ridgeline . . . you open up the in-bed trunk and drop your gear in there. It's locked up, out of site and protected from the elements.

Now THAT is funny!

What is "funny" is that so many still seem uninformed about the capabilities of the Ridgeline. Tows our 22' Freedom Express 192 RBS solid as can be. (CAT scale weight when loaded up for a trip = 4500 lbs.) Built in transmission cooler & power steering cooler; plug & play for a brake controller of your choice; glides down the road with AWD keeping things stable; as long as you stay within its engineered limits, it actually provides a very positive towing experience. Down side is fuel consumption/mileage is unfavorable since our 2011 Ridgeline produces 247 lb./ft. of torque that is largely produced in the upper RPM range. Repeated trips in modestly hilly terrain yields approximately 9 mpg. Sure wish Honda would place a diesel in the truck. The new version's gas engine generates 30 more hp (280) and 15 more lbs./ft. (262) of torque, but I just don't know how much that will improve mileage. But tegardless, that in bed trunk still comes in handy for securely storing all kinds of gear . . .
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
Here's mine.

$19 HF receiver and $8 in clamps...easier for me than finding a welder.

HitchGrip is the easiest way for an old guy with a bad back to move his hitch.

And then added this ball cover
Thanks,
Bill

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a copy cat.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Midnightpumpkin wrote:
Why not just put the ball in the socket on the trailer hitch and clamp in in place just like when you are towing. Put a padlock on it so no-one messes around and drops it on thier toes.

The greasy ball is covered and you can rotate the hitch so it is out of the way.

John U

I made a home made handle to allow me to use one hand for hitch and the other to latch the coupler. Pictures are from old hitch but still works the same with the New Blue Ox hitch.

Home Made Handle

Hitch Locked To coupler
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last Train wrote:
Strabo wrote:
Last Train wrote:

Now THAT is funny!

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Last Train wrote:

Now THAT is funny!
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the same thing beemerphile1. In fact, I have the one that's in your 1st photo that I took off our last TT before we sold it. I just need to see if there's room on the A frame.
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
dclark1946 wrote:
I just leave it attached to the truck. I wipe the ball and spring bar mount holes with a paper towel and apply fresh grease when hitching again.

Exactly... my truck manufacturer already thought of this and welded a receiver to the back of the truck. When I get to where I am camping, I leave the hitch bar in that receiver. Works great!

I do the same on occasion BUT, it is probably illegal.

Anything protruding beyond the bumper is considered a modification to the low speed impact bumper and a violation of federal regulations, probably.

I like the OP's idea. It could possibly be done with the receivers sold for clamping on an RV bumper.

or

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like both ideas for storing the hitch.

I'm one of those that just leaves it on the pickup. But, my small TT does not require a WDH so it is not as large as some of the receiver hitches many of you have.