cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Speaking of safety

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed these new TT that are designed for ice fishing. I didn't contact the manufacturer but from what I can see in the pictures of them what do they expect you to do if it breaks through the ice? What if the door wont open? What if the rig tips on it's door side or ice blocks it from opening? Maybe I'm missing something but I dont think I'd be in it. It seems like a large ceiling hatch rather than an ac unit would be more appropriate. Maybe large escape windows on 3 sides and the roof? Maybe all escape routes would open inward? I know, I'm no fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ice 15
16 REPLIES 16

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
How many people die in ice fishing accidents a year in your state? How many people die in vehicle accidents a year in your state?

I don't think ice fishing is dangerous, but that's a bit of an oversimplification.

We would also have to know how many people ice fish every year and how many drive cars every year before we could really compare the risk.

You know, "you're more likely to be attacked by a shark than win the lottery." Well, no, if someone NEVER leaves Kansas, and NEVER goes into the ocean, but plays the lottery daily, he or she is more likely to win the lottery than be attacked by a shark.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
That's alot of money and effort just to get away from the wife!;)
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

HappyTrails2U2
Explorer
Explorer
I would just climb out one of the windows.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Some lakes here have shanty towns with all the ice fishing shacks organized in what looks like a small town. No different than a campground only you need to remove your shack by March 15. The people who fall through don't keep track of the ice conditions.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How many people die in ice fishing accidents a year in your state? How many people die in vehicle accidents a year in your state? Life has risks, just try to make informed decisions such as waiting until the ice will support the weight.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ice fishing, wilderness skiing, snowshoeing, even snowmobiling can be Darwinism at it finest. The careless are self-eliminating.

Like many things in life, to do it involves a level of risk.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
You could build one hell of a homemade ice fishing shack for $15,000.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been ice fishing but a hatch sounds like a good idea to me. I've never drown while boating, but I still wear a life jacket while underway. Guess it's just my paranoia.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The truck that pulls it out there , I wonder if it has an escape hatch in the roof ?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I don't think many folks ice fish on 2 or 3 inches of ice. Everybody I know who lives up north and takes ice fishing serious say the ice thickness is measured in feet not inches Whole towns pop up on the ice and even 18 wheelers can travel on the ice. I doubt the weight of a TT will cause any issue at all.

I live in Michigan and no, 3 inches of ice is not good. I have also never seen anybody do test holes on the way out. It's often times word of mouth. My post was about the apparent lack of safety items pertaining to the TT mentioned. Everyone has a different comfort level and safety awareness so it seems like there would just be something in place just in case. You know, like an escape hatch in an RV that is very unlikely to catch on fire yet mine has one at both ends of the rig.

The building code for my house says place furnace vents etc X number of feet from any window. Generators say DO NOT operate within X number of feet of any window or door or air intake etc. Safe things are built with the thought of "What If", not "Nahhh, that wont happen" attitude.

I have broken through the ice on a snowmobile in an area that others had traveled. It wasn't deep but it sure was exciting. The guy behind me was in deeper water but got out. He lost his old Foxtrot snowmobile.

Again, it's just interesting that an industry with so little safety over-site and recalls because seat belts were attached to particle board floors wouldn't include at least one other escape route is amazing to me, but let the good times roll and hopefully on one ever has a problem. It is an RV why expect more.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think many folks ice fish on 2 or 3 inches of ice. Everybody I know who lives up north and takes ice fishing serious say the ice thickness is measured in feet not inches Whole towns pop up on the ice and even 18 wheelers can travel on the ice. I doubt the weight of a TT will cause any issue at all.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
kearlms wrote:
Live ice fishing, love the idea. Just dont know if I could bring myself to pulling it out on the ice

Yep, along with another major flaw of auto insurance not covering the car or truck. A quad or snowmobile isn't pulling that.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Live ice fishing, love the idea. Just dont know if I could bring myself to pulling it out on the ice

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Are those augers in the wheel wells, for boring holes in the ice??? Or just jacks for leveling?

From what little I know of ice fishing, the ice houses that people use don't have any kind of escape hatches either. So why would a trailer need them?

Someone has bought it, regardless!

Oh I dont know, maybe about a 2,000 pound difference in weight. Many are tent like but do it yourselfers sometimes build lightweight thin plywood ones that can be pulled by hand or a quad or snowmobile. Lol, no those are electric jacks for lowering itself down on the ice. They do make electric ice augers now but bubba may still want his 2 stroke ice auger inside. I know I do love the smell of two stroke oil but it's in the woods while dirt biking.