cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special cord for Northern Lite?

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Northern Lite 10-2 and a 2016 Chevy 3500. I use a 7 pin extension from my 5th wheel plug to the camper receptacle. While driving my "check trailer wiring" light comes on and beeps. Is there a special plug/adapter I'm supposed to use? I bought the Northern Lite used and can not find any info on the web that would help. Thought I'd ask here before seeing an RV service.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

NautiqueFamily
Explorer
Explorer
When trying to figure this out a few years ago, I did a Google search and noted there was a difference between Canadian RV 7-way plug wiring and US standard trailer 7-way wiring. Check it out and use a multi-tester to confirm your setup on the truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's not unheard of. My Palomino's 7-pin bargman plug only has one pin in common with the standard output. Quite a surprise when I went to pick it up and only one turn signal worked, and the other flashed every light on the camper.

I used a jumper pack and some probe wires to see what lit up with what pin, then wired a custom umbilical to make it all work. As I recall, the center pin was originally 12V for the fridge, and reverse lights on the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like guidry is holding out for another Northern Lite owner to have the same issue. Probably will be a while.

I suggested a swapped wire because I had it happen on an extension. In our case all lights worked fine, but the brakes were locked on on that side. I also had to rewire my TC when I switched trucks. Probably because the guy that wired the extension tried to match the truck wiring which was wrong. No issues with a 4 pin on the extension, btw. It was that way for years until I pulled my wife's uncle's TT. So, look for electric brake attached to the wrong connector.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Was not NL, but Towed trailer and hauled camper with 2009 GMC 3500 and 2016 GM 3500. Both had factory trailer towing package with integrated trailer brake and fifthwheel/ camper pigtail in box. Alternated between towing trailer & hauling camper all the time. Never had any issues..maybe you have a damaged pin or loose wire in one of the plugs causing an intermittent momentary interuption enough to cause the DIC warning..... I would start at the truck end with GM wiring diagram, then Bargman wiring diagram, then NL wiring diagram to be sure all is connected compatibly,
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be Chevy feature.
My 2017 Ford does not beep when I don't have brakes connected, yet it will check camper light bulbs.
I would make sure the lights work the way they should first.
I read somewhere that on some truck models - owner buy trailer brake coil and wire it to the plug to fool the system.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a problem w/ my 05'-08-&13' F350's with my NL, I even tried my ext. plug off my TL Supertruss w/ out any problems, just out of curiosity.As stated you probably have a crossed wire in your harness.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
burningman, that is what I thought but when I bought the camper the seller said there was supposed to be a plug wire for Northern Lites but he never got one. I'm also thinking maybe the brake wire from the truck is actually the fridge charging wire on the camper and that may be why the difference. I was hoping another Northern Lite owner would chime in. Thanks

My 2014 NL uses the standard 7pin RV plug pinout. It might be difficult to get both male and female 7pin plugs but I found that mine can only be plugged in one way: there's a truck end and a NL end.

RKB
Explorer
Explorer
I am a little backwards year wise, but my 2005 F350 with camper package plugs into my 2014 NL with reg off the shelf 4' cord and works perfectly. I even get some minimal top off charge to my camper batteries. And brake controller works fine with trailers plugged in back and camper plugged in bed.

I hope that helps.
2014 Northern Lite 9-6 QSE
2005 F350 6.0 CC LB SRW

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
burningman, that is what I thought but when I bought the camper the seller said there was supposed to be a plug wire for Northern Lites but he never got one. I'm also thinking maybe the brake wire from the truck is actually the fridge charging wire on the camper and that may be why the difference. I was hoping another Northern Lite owner would chime in. Thanks

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do all the camper lights and the charge wire function properly?
If they do then I suspect it’s just that there’s no trailer brakes like the truck is “expecting”.

Man... my 19-0-nuthin’ REO never had that problem!!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree. It doesn't take much of a mix up, but it would appear fine on a vehicle without a brake controller. My guess is brake power and left or right turn signal wire are reversed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Likely a mis-wire on the campers plug. For some reason your truck believes its connected to trailer brakes. Lookup, download and print out a Bargman 7 pin wiring diagram. Then start checking. Its pretty simple to do. A short piece of 16ga wire and maybe a helper is all you need.