cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilization ideas

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Rig is sig is 38ft long. Has 4 stab jacks , one in each corner. This baby rocks. I can feel my 3 yr get up in the night to go potty. When the dog rolls over on the couch you feel it. I can actually sit out by the fire and watch it move as people walk inside. I have considered the X-chocks but I am not sure that will help. This thing has leaf spring suspension and I am wondering if due to the length there may just be enough flex overall to allow that suspension to be the culprit of the movement.
Last trip out a friend mentioned something I had not thought of, adding a stab jack on each side in front of the axle, basically middle of TT.

Has anyone else with a long TT had this issue and if so what did you find that ultimately helped?
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
10 REPLIES 10

tfodify
Explorer
Explorer
phenrichs wrote:
I have considered the X-chocks but I am not sure that will help.

29' here, X-chocks made a huge difference. Depending on how long we're set up I also put up one or two jacks per side near the wheels to take out the center bounce.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed stabilizer jacks, front and rear of the axles, added x-chocks, and put stabilizers under the steps. Still didn't get all of the wiggle, but, most of it is gone.

The stabilizers near the axles, are somewhat centered under the trailer. I had a crank handle, custom made to reach in and crank those jacks up and down.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Get some of these:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-stack-jacks-set-of-4/4205
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I made a set of stabilizers like the "Steady Fast" brand. They work great keeping the wiggle out when we waddle.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem here with our TT. I ended up getting a pair of X-chocks and it made a huge difference. Very little rocking and rolling now.

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
mine bounces too when someone walk through the camper I found out that cranking down on the stabilizes helps and this last weekend I put two scissor stabilizers in front the tires now there is very little bounce. I'm going to bolt them to the frames as soon as I get time.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer is rigid at the four corners provided stab jacks are set snug. Problem is at the suspension.

Dual axles roll back/forth when suspension moves.

Set of chocks between tires (rotochocks if you can afford them) and couple extra jacks front (or rear) of axles will stop that bouncing.
Minimize the suspension movement and it will be solid feeling
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT is 36 ft. long and we have very little movement in it. I use two Rotochoks and the stabilizers with JT Strongarms that came on the trailer. In our 23 ft. hybrid trailer (Rockwood Roo) we had movement even with the Rotochoks and the standard stabilizers. But, the Open Range trailer is built far better and I think the JT Strongarms help a lot too.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem in our old TT, and X-chocks made a world of difference. We had the wide-set wheels, so we had to order the chocks on line. It reduced the wiggling and bouncing.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is that bothersome then your best solution would be a 6 point level up system.