cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilizer question UPDATE

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our 2014 Forest River Salem 24rkss about 3 weeks ago. Our first overnight trip went fine. However, when we brought it home and parked it in our driveway, we had some problems with the stabilizers. My husband was leveling our trailer and the stabilizers kept collapsing. One of them is missing a pin and the dealer said he ordered a part for it. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Of course, everything is under warranty, but just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Thanks for any input. I have been lurking here for months and learned a lot, but just joined a month ago.
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on this one. I can't believe he actually told you that. I had problems with the dealer I bought mine from. A call to Keystone and within a couple of hours they had adjusted his attitude.

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. My husband called the nearest Forest River dealer and was told to contact the dealer we purchased from, and that dealer said to bring our trailer back and they will order the right parts as soon as they can figure out what is wrong. We are still waiting for the original stabilizer jack that was broken when we bought it, so I am not sure how long this is going to take. The dealer told us when we bought it that he hated to order parts and do warranty work because FR will only allow him to order parts from their inventory and he has to pay up front first and it is always more expensive than if he just bought parts in his town. As you might can tell, I am not sure how this is going work.
Anyways, thank you.

7happycampers
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem on one of my stabiliziers where the roll pin fell out and the stabilizer kept collapsing. I just got a cotter pin from my local hardware store, put it in the roll pin hole and the problem was solved.

Kevin & Crew
Kevin

Jenny Our Angel Remembering Jenny
Abbie (Rescued Treeing Walker Coonhound)
Guido (Rescued Italian Greyhound)Remembering Guido
Kendall (Rescued Border Collie)
Piper (Rescued Border Collie)
My dog isn't spoiled..........He just smells that way.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had my trailer for a month and I may have a similiar problem. Right after I got the trailer I greased the lead screw on the 4 leveler jacks. I think this was the wrong thing to do. When I get a little load on one and remove the crank it will start slowly and smoothly rolling back. I think I may need to try removing the lubrication. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
Dick B, I am not sure of the manufacturer of the stabilizers. I will check as soon as I am able.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Try placing blocks of 6x6 wood underneath the jacks. This will allow you to stabilize without over extending the jacks. Be sure all bolts and screws are tight. Pressure on the stabilizers should be only enough to 'slightly' raise the corner of the trailer. Refer to Old Biscuit's post on leveling side-side and front to back.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they are literally collapsing I'm wondering if the screw pitch is so high (low?) that they are unscrewing under load.
What is the manufacturer of the stabilizers?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrapnread wrote:
I read him your response, Old-Biscuit, and he said that is what he was doing. He said any pressure on the stabilizer jacks at all caused them to fold up. I wasn't very clear in my post I guess. Husband has been towing boats and trailers for more than 30 years, I just let him do all the work and I read the forums and ask questions. lol.

Pressure on the stabilizers should not cause them to "fold up".
they are made to stabilize and there should be enough pressure on each to do just that without folding up. Something must be wrong with them

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
I read him your response, Old-Biscuit, and he said that is what he was doing. He said any pressure on the stabilizer jacks at all caused them to fold up. I wasn't very clear in my post I guess. Husband has been towing boats and trailers for more than 30 years, I just let him do all the work and I read the forums and ask questions. lol.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope husband was using blocks under tires to level side to side and using trailer tongue jack to level front to rear

AND then setting 'stabilizers' snug to stabilize. They are NOT for leveling.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31