cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StarCraft Autumn Ridge to Launch Please explain.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
We recently traded our 2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 278BH for a StarCraft Launch 26BHS. When I picked up the Launch it looked longer than my Autumn Ridge. When I measured it it was 26ft, so I thought it was just the different design, fiberglass outside and such that made it look longer. When I got home and put the cover from my Autumn Ridge on my Launch, it wouldn't fit. The cover was too short. The StarCraft website says the Autumn Ridge is 29'4" overall and the Launch was 30"8". I didn't have the opportunity to measure the Autumn Ridge, but can someone tell me the actual box length of the Autumn Ridge 278BH? Obviously its shorter, but I just want some numbers please.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
14 REPLIES 14

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
Mike Up, We liked the 26BHS for several reasons. The slide was a definite plus, along with the front kitchen with extra counter top space, fiberglass outside(really didn't like the metal outside of our Autumn Ridge), nicer wheels, etc. We really liked the Autumn Ridge, but I liked this one better. The Launch is a few inches shorter, but I do seem to get better gas mileage when towing.

See, that's why there is both models. Everything you liked better, I liked less.

Both nice floorplans. BTW, Jay Flight offers laminated walls as an option but I bought the Jay Flight for its Stick and Tin build.

Glad you like it, too bad you didn't see it before you bought the 278BH.:-)

Enjoy your new TT.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I finally called StarCraft and got the info. The Autumn Ridge 278Bh has a box that is 25ft 2in long and the Launch 26BHS has a box length of 26ft 7in. This goes along with what some of you are saying. The Number on the side is nothing more than, well, a number.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
chevyman2 wrote:
The model (like 26 BH) on TTs is the length of the box and floorplan (26 BH is a 26' box with a bunk house).

That used to be true, until the marketing guys got involved....folks were concerned about towing too long of a trailer, so trailers now are frequently longer than their model # would indicate. My Terry has 28 in the model number but the "box" is 32'.

Some manufacturers still follow this tradition, some don't. Also new designs are changing standards for tongue length and rear bumper placement....if you want to know how long the trailer is, you need to measure it.

This
When we traded up from our 26' Terry, to our current trailer Kingsport 28RLS We really did think we were only going up 2 feet, because of the model number, and were even told at time of purchase that it was a 28' trailer!
Turns out the box is almost 30' long. Not unhappy now that we've gotten used to it, but I wasn't pleased (6 months after we got it when I finally measured it)!
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
chevyman2 wrote:
The model (like 26 BH) on TTs is the length of the box and floorplan (26 BH is a 26' box with a bunk house).

That used to be true, until the marketing guys got involved....folks were concerned about towing too long of a trailer, so trailers now are frequently longer than their model # would indicate. My Terry has 28 in the model number but the "box" is 32'.

Some manufacturers still follow this tradition, some don't. Also new designs are changing standards for tongue length and rear bumper placement....if you want to know how long the trailer is, you need to measure it.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
So basically my Launch 26BHS is bigger than my previous Autumn Ridge 278BH. I saw the overall length before purchasing, but thought the tongue on the Launch might have been a little longer or something. Not disappointed at all, just trying to make sense of the numbers.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
The number in a model name does not represent the length of anything in particular. It is just a name. If the length of something is important, it is necessary to get the specifications.

This!

My "329BHU" is 36 feet 6 inches long. If you look at the spec sheet for a 2013 version it was 35 feet... Another member mentioned once that the number may actually be square feet of living space. But, generally you can't go by just a model number for much of anything.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up, We liked the 26BHS for several reasons. The slide was a definite plus, along with the front kitchen with extra counter top space, fiberglass outside(really didn't like the metal outside of our Autumn Ridge), nicer wheels, etc. We really liked the Autumn Ridge, but I liked this one better. The Launch is a few inches shorter, but I do seem to get better gas mileage when towing.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The number in a model name does not represent the length of anything in particular. It is just a name. If the length of something is important, it is necessary to get the specifications.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
I am actually talking about the length of the actual box of the TT, not the entire length. Short version of the question above; is the 2013 Autumn Ridge 278Bh actually 27 feet 8 inches long?

Box length isn't a standard that anyone goes by, only total length.

If you want to know box length, you'll have to go and measure it.

Good luck

BTW, why did you trade your 278BH (Jayco Jay Flight 26BH) for a 26BHS (Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS)?? I previously looked at these 2 Jaycos and compared.

I came out really liking the layout of the 26BH better as the slide offered no wider walk-way, just a larger kitchen that we rarely use as we cook outside.

I also like the sofa placement away from the dinette in the 26BH but that's obviously a personal choice.

I liked both but it seems more of a lateral move, and considering you had a newer 2013 makes me wonder why.

Regardless, enjoy the new camper.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I am actually talking about the length of the actual box of the TT, not the entire length. Short version of the question above; is the 2013 Autumn Ridge 278Bh actually 27 feet 8 inches long?

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
That new Launch 26BHS looks to be based off of the parent company's, Jayco, Jay Flight 28BHS but with some features differing the biggest being a lower ceiling height. Your 278BH was based off of Jayco's Jay FLight 26BH.

Just another example of why the industrial standard for Travel Trailer length is bumper to hitch as model numbers do not represent the box size in many cases.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is the autumn ridge was 1 foot 4 inches shorter if that is what the book says.

A friend of mine insists that his trailer is 26 feet because 26 is in the model number so when he looks for a site he always tells the campground 26 feet. His trailer is over 30 feet and half the time he is giving site that is small.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
The model (like 26 BH) on TTs is the lenght of the box and floorplan (26 BH is a 26' box with a bunk house). The overall lenght is from tip of tongue to end of bumper. The tongue is usually 4'to 5' long, and from the back of the box to the outer end of the bumper is usually 6" to 1'. They usually do not add the spare tire (for some reason). So your 26 BH will officially measure 30' to 31' in total lenght.

As far as cover, well! Maybe your new trailer has a bit longer front nose, or maybe rear tail piece than your old trailer. Maybe your new trailer is a bit wider. Maybe your old trailer wasnt as long as your new one. Not trying to belittle you at all, Im just saying "looks can be deceiving" and you even mentioned that you never measured your old TT.

Hope you like the Launch. We are starting to get our first Autumn Ridge units to sell. They seem nice and sell good so far.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing you are talking about the length from hitch to bumper when you say overall length. Some trailers have a longer hitch length or bumper length or no bumper at all. When it comes to a cover you want the length of the box I think.
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH