cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stick to Lance TPO roof?

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install ~140 watts of solar generation on the roof of my new Lance 850.

I have determined that the wiring, and a suitable plug, are in place.

I think. Anyway, there is a little covered plug in the side of my fridge vent cover, and the dealer told me that is what it is for.

Assuming the above is true, I can do this. My electrician skills start and end with the ability to plug stuff in.

I really like the idea of just pasting that rascal to the roof, and drilling no potential water entry points.

Good idea? If so, recommended adhesives and surface prep and such?

If not, alternatives?

I would also be grateful for recommendations regarding which panel in the 130-150w range to buy, and where to buy.

Oh, and if any of the assumptions I have made above are ill-founded, please chime in.

I ain't stupid, but in this regard, I am sure-enough ignorant.

Thanks.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.
22 REPLIES 22

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
My Outfitter roof is also TPO, I think.

I mounted my 120W solar panel with Z-brackets and thread serts into the aluminum box tubing under the skin. The wiring went into a PVC LB fitting inserted into a hole drilled in the roof.
Everything liberally coated with Dicor afterwords and the LB fitting completely filled with Dicor.

No leaks since installed in 2005.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Cool!!!

My inner mother hen got disturbed when I thought 2 of the most helpful, knowledgeable people heareabouts were at odds, for no good reason.

Now I'm happy...y'all happy? Hope so.

Thanks so much to you both for your help.

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
okan-star wrote:
:h
bka0721 wrote:
Joe, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having someone else do something like this. While you will have some, chastise you in that "you will save SO MUCH money doing it yourself!" Which in reality, is true. But, connecting something wrong, you can destroy some very sensitive and expensive equipment. What seems simple to some, like swapping an engine, wiring a home, making stock investments, just becomes too much for many. Plumbing is something I can do, but I avoid. I never have the right part or never seem to get that final pipe, sweated without getting a pin hole leak. But I would not hesitate to frame, wire, finish a home or swap out an engine. So bullies take all forms, in grade schools and on forums. Just because it was easy for someone to install their own solar, another might not feel that way.

Just be careful as there are a lot of people that will sell and install solar for more than it is worth and lack quality in their installation. Pay some more, to get a good installation. Going cheaper usually means the same.

b

bullies ? :h

You?

No. You were not even someone I was thinking about.

But there are people that brow beat someone that makes a choice not to do something themselves, often with Solar Installation. More often on the Tech Forum and more often the same people.

The nice thing about the Truck Camper Forum, the typical question is; "How can I do this?" Where on a couple of other Forums, on RV.net, you will see more often the question; "Where can I get this done?"

You see this in all types of projects and businesses. Otherwise Lowes would not have the market they have for supplying the DIY'r and the small contractor helping out the person that might sweat when seeing a hammer.

We all have different skill sets, as well as putting our time into what best serves them. Sometimes it pays to have someone else do it so one can take their limited free time to go and enjoy this time.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
I dont want to ,and I`m sure I cant talk you into something you dont want to do yourslf, but the wiring is this simple
Buy a kyocera kd 140sx-ufbs panel thats 140 watts and has a junction box from somewhere like northern arizona wind and sun , theres a + and a - terminal inside the j box hook up some 2 conductor (like romex) outdoor wire to the terminals , put a plug end from lance on the other end , plug it into the socket on the ref. vent , find the other end of the lance pre- wire , probably at your battery area ,hook one wire to + and one to- on the charge controller like this one marked solar/ battery , and run two wires + and - to the battery . Keep the positive and the negitive wires all the way the same and put a automotive type thermal auto reset fuse 10 amp on the + wire in between to charge controller and the battery,
Not for everybody I`m sure , but maybe you thought it was more involved than that
The guys at northern arizona wind and sun are very helpfull and can sell you what you need ,panel - wire - controller... Ive found there prices to be good when Ive bought from them
Good luck

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Nah, Okan-star.

He didn't mean you. Your pics and suggestions were wonderful, and I should have thanked you for them before now.

I'm thinking I will mount my panel myself, following your instructions, but let some smart guy wire it.

Thanks!

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
:h
bka0721 wrote:
Joe, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having someone else do something like this. While you will have some, chastise you in that "you will save SO MUCH money doing it yourself!" Which in reality, is true. But, connecting something wrong, you can destroy some very sensitive and expensive equipment. What seems simple to some, like swapping an engine, wiring a home, making stock investments, just becomes too much for many. Plumbing is something I can do, but I avoid. I never have the right part or never seem to get that final pipe, sweated without getting a pin hole leak. But I would not hesitate to frame, wire, finish a home or swap out an engine. So bullies take all forms, in grade schools and on forums. Just because it was easy for someone to install their own solar, another might not feel that way.

Just be careful as there are a lot of people that will sell and install solar for more than it is worth and lack quality in their installation. Pay some more, to get a good installation. Going cheaper usually means the same.

b

bullies ? :h

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing you might want to keep in mind is heat. All of the panels I have installed required an air space underneath to prevent overheating. Solar panels are essentially black glass and get very hot in sunlight. At best, this significantly reduces their output, and at worst could cause issues with the soft membrane underneath.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:

b

2X - Pick your battles know your limits! I'm personally debating/researching solar and really don't know If Im willing to take it on myself…..may go the windmill route!!

T
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Okan-star!

Again, that which seems simple to you (ignoring plug and installing heavier wiring), does not seem simple at all to me.

Reckon I will have to have it done.

Again, thanks all.

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
This is a Lance with an aluminum roof , but if you mount it in a similar place you can hit framing at the front two and side mounting points easy as there is always framing at the transition from roof to siding and along the edge of the camper ,the only spot to be carfull to hit framing is in the center of the roof . You should be able to tell where that layout starts buy the trim strips inside the camper on the ceiling , the trim has framing behind it .
here I used a long enough piece of alum to hit two joists
I used two pieces of alum angle to form a Z , adjusted for the angle of the roof.
You can run new wire down the refer vent if its not large already , but mine was # 10 , thats large enough for 140 watts . Make sure you get sun light resistant wire to wire the panel to the vent , and I would forget the existing plug and just hard wire it into the existing wire W/ wire nuts and tape it up down inside the refer vent
Arizona wind and sun is a good place to look online , they will ship panels to 140 watts UPS and have everything else you need

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Much to consider. Thanks all.

I may be beyond my depth, with voltages, wire sizes, and such.

I didn't know it was so complicated.

I was hoping I could just buy a panel, mount it, and plug it in.

I CAN do the mounting, but I wish there was a consensus regarding which panel to buy, and from where, to give me ~130-150 watts with the Lance wiring.

Sorry, Brian, I don't want to go into the depth that you do.

I admire you, but I'm not you.

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a membrane that was not glued down as that is the required install per the material manufacturer. Also have taken sever factory tours and at everyone they glue it down.

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
kerry4951 wrote:
I personally would not trust just gluing or taping them down. I used aluminum "L" brackets and I first applied butyl tape to the bottom of the bracket, then pushed the brackets down onto the roof. I then secured with several screws into the roof. The butyl caulk squeezed up thru the screw holes, so after tightening the screws down, I felt confident that the holes were sealed properly. I then encased the entire bracket base around all sides and over the screw heads with ample amount of Dicor. My panels have been on for 3 years and about 25K miles and so far they are still solid and trouble free.

I used a very similar process but used VHB tape instead. The professional grade VHB tape can be purchased through AM Solar.

Did the same. No issues in 4 years. Screwed into the 1/4" luan. Its solid. Dont use screws longer than you need, who knows what wires lurk beneath.