cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for RLS w/dry weight around 5,500#?

dcf
Explorer
Explorer
After more than a decade, looking to move up from our pop-up to a TT. We're looking for easier, quicker setup than the PUP. We have spend about 30 nights a year camping and want to keep that pace up or even pick up a few more.

We really, really like the idea of a rear-living floorplan.

Tow vehicle is a diesel jeep that has a max towing capacity of 7,300#, so figuring a good dry weight to look at is 5,500ish.

I've come across trailers from Coachmen (Apex) and a couple of Keystone brands that fit the bill.

Others folks would recommend, or feedback on these?
22 REPLIES 22

w8eh
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the StarCraft 24RLS. It is a nice camper with a rear living area. The slide out with the dinette really make for lots of living room. It's dry weight rating is 4,880 and GVWR is 6250. Full length is 29' 5". The full specs are here:
http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight/launch-ultra-lite/floorplans/24rls/

We pull ours with a Chevy Silverado quad cab, short bed 1500. It tows good. We have about 3,000 miles towing it around since February.

One suggestion if you go with the Starcraft, get the upgraded pull out couch. The basic jack knife couch just hasn't held up well.
New 2015 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2010 Chevy Silverado crew cab /factory tow package
Prodigy brake controller
Good Sam Life Member

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
jonmad wrote:
badercubed wrote:
martinto wrote:
badercubed wrote:
The hard thing about the rear living space is finding one with all the glass. There are a bunch of shorter trailers that have the space, but not what I imagine you want.

Crossroads
Grey Wolf
Aspen Trail

The apex 279RLSS has a good size rear picture window and both side windows. Makes it feel very open in the RLS.
Are you comparing the 279RLSS to the ones I posted? I wouldn't consider a trailer thats 31ft from bumper to ball to be a shorter trailer.

I think the OP was looking for a rear lounge TT around 5500 lbs. dry... Yes, the Apex 279RLS does fit in that category...
Oh yeah, good point! 🙂
(That is a slick trailer)
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
martinto wrote:
badercubed wrote:
The hard thing about the rear living space is finding one with all the glass. There are a bunch of shorter trailers that have the space, but not what I imagine you want.

Crossroads
Grey Wolf
Aspen Trail

The apex 279RLSS has a good size rear picture window and both side windows. Makes it feel very open in the RLS.
Are you comparing the 279RLSS to the ones I posted? I wouldn't consider a trailer thats 31ft from bumper to ball to be a shorter trailer.

I think the OP was looking for a rear lounge TT around 5500 lbs. dry... Yes, the Apex 279RLS does fit in that category...

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
badercubed wrote:

Crossroads
Grey Wolf
Aspen Trail

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:

Crossroads
Grey Wolf
Aspen Trail

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Apex 279RLSS. Towing with a Yukon Denali rated at 7900 lbs. I removed the 2 rear seats (7 seater) and don't load heavy in the Yukon. TT dry is 5400 lbs. loaded, I est. at 6200 lbs. me, my wife and 3 small dogs. I pull frequently in the NC mountains. If wheelbase is a concern, I haven't seen evidence of any issues. WDH and sway bar installed. 6.2l pulls it nicely using tow haul mode and often with cruise on. My attitude is always..."steady as she goes"!

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at a StarCraft 24RLS. This is a nice looking smaller trailer with a rear living area. StarCraft also has a 2 year warranty.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

lawduck
Explorer
Explorer
They may be smaller/lighter than you are looking for, but Pacific Coachworks has a 20 RLS under a few of their brands (Econ, Tango, and Mighty Lite). We have an Econ 20RLS and really like it. We tow it with a V6 Jeep GC with no problem (it helps that it is 7 foot wide).

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you have read, you have to do the math.

I have a 5008 lb. dry weight, (6000+ lbs. loaded) 25 foot, Dutchmen Lite TT, I tow it with an F-150, E-boost. My towing capacity is 9500 lbs. However the TV’s max cargo is 1411 lbs.

So in real numbers my 750 lbs. of tongue weight, 500 lbs. for people and large dog leaves me less than 200 lbs. for camp and fishing gear. A trip to the CAT scales usually shows my TV is at or slightly over the max cargo capacity when I am on the road.

While I have never had any towing issues in over 10,000 miles of towing, anything over a 5000 lb. TT, I believe would require me buying a bigger truck.

Fortunately we love the TT and TV combo we have.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
badercubed wrote:
K-Z Vision V23RLS

This little guy has a decent set up, and the picks show bigger windows in the back.

That is a nice floorplan to get a little shorter and lighter than the 30 footers while still keeping decent rear windows and sitting area.

This is a similar plan:

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/301/A231RLS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
dcf wrote:
The Class IV Receiver is rated at 1,200 pounds, per Jeep, so the limit would be 10% to 15% of trailer weight.

The diesel supplement owners manual for a 2015 Jeep GC 3.0L says the max tongue weight is 720 4WD/740 2WD. The regular owners manual lists the same weights for the 5.7L. The 3.6L is also 10% of their tow ratings.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
K-Z Vision V23RLS

This little guy has a decent set up, and the picks show bigger windows in the back.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer

Crossroads
Grey Wolf
Aspen Trail
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Jeep GC hitch rating is 1100 lbs for a WD hitch (IIRC). Directly off the receiver, not owners manual or web info.

I think the main concern is payload and wheel base. 114 wheel base, I think, could end up being the biggest hurdle to overcome.

I don't think I would feel comfortable towing my TT with my jeep though. Even if the numbers worked out. Of course, mine is not the diesel.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS