cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super duty rear ratio!

muddyriver
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to research buying a new truck. I'm defiantly going diesel this time and wondering what rear end a person should get. I'll be towing a camper around 9K. with about 1200K in the box of the truck. I'm hoping to buy used. My 6.2 had 3:73 which pulled our 8600# camper well, but wish it would have had the 4:10 in it. Does a person go to 3:55 or stay at 3:73 or even move up to 4:10. I would appreciate peoples information. Kind Regards, Nathan
20 REPLIES 20

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seeing as you are buying used, don't let the rear axle ratio drive your decision. Whatever truck you find that blows your skirt up will work.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
You should keep in mind that some SD are equipped with 17 inch tires. Witth 17 inch ttires, a 3.31 is equal to the 3.55 with 18 inchers

muddyriver
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, thank you all for the information and suggestions. I'm only looking a 2016 or newer. There's always the possibility to go bigger :). My 6.2 had the power but to drive something with everyday bad gas mileage really hurt. I tow a dump trailer from time to time so the diesel would help that out as well. the dump trailer is short distances. Glad that I don't have to narrow my search anymore than I have to. Helps keep the options open for the other things. Like A/C seats!!!!
thanks again for the help!!!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You have to look at the total ratio now with the new 6, 8 amd 10 speed transmission ! Super Duty implies Ford F250/350. I am pretty sure they both use the 6R140 transmission (used in Ford MH chassis and F650/750). The 3.73 will help with hills.

What is the ratio comes with the camper/HD trailer tow package? My gut says the 3.73 is a good choice.

As stated before, the camper package DOES NOT include an optional gear ratio. You can select the camper package with the 3:31 gear ratio.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
muddyriver wrote:
I'm starting to research buying a new truck. I'm defiantly going diesel this time and wondering what rear end a person should get. I'll be towing a camper around 9K. with about 1200K in the box of the truck. I'm hoping to buy used. My 6.2 had 3:73 which pulled our 8600# camper well, but wish it would have had the 4:10 in it. Does a person go to 3:55 or stay at 3:73 or even move up to 4:10. I would appreciate peoples information. Kind Regards, Nathan

For reference, I'm pulling 15K of fifth wheel with 3:42s, no problems at all.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You have to look at the total ratio now with the new 6, 8 amd 10 speed transmission ! Super Duty implies Ford F250/350. I am pretty sure they both use the 6R140 transmission (used in Ford MH chassis and F650/750). The 3.73 will help with hills.

What is the ratio comes with the camper/HD trailer tow package? My gut says the 3.73 is a good choice.

The Ford F250/350 diesel will have 3.31 or 3.55 depending on tire size and a few options. To get lower gears, would require dual rear wheels.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting that folks talk about rear end gear ratios over and over and compare with those they had in the past, but never consider that modern transmissions have several overdrive gears. For example, Ford six speed transmissions behind a diesel engine have fifth gear as an overdrive and sixth gear is over that overdrive. If you want to compare, multiply the sixth gear number times the final drive number. You will then find very high gearing that works fine with a slow turning diesel engine.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
Just to add to whatโ€™s been said; the 2015 F350 I had came with the camper pkg, which included 3:55 ratio on 18โ€ wheels. But many are pulling bigger trailers than yours with 3:31โ€™s just fine. If you find a truck thatโ€™s otherwise equipped as you want, I wouldnโ€™t let it stop you. Good luck in your search.

Maybe just to clarify your post. The camper package on the F350 includes a front spring upgrade and a rear stabilizer.

The 3:55 gears are not part of the Camper package. They are a seperate N/C option.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You said "used". How old?

Back in the days of 3 speed transmissions a numerically higher rear end could really help towing.

When you start talking the newer 8-10 speed transmissions, the rear end drops off as a major consideration unless you are pushing the truck to the maximum. The transmission can compensate by picking a better gear to get an overall gear ratio it desires.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to whatโ€™s been said; the 2015 F350 I had came with the camper pkg, which included 3:55 ratio on 18โ€ wheels. But many are pulling bigger trailers than yours with 3:31โ€™s just fine. If you find a truck thatโ€™s otherwise equipped as you want, I wouldnโ€™t let it stop you. Good luck in your search.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a possibility that you will buy a bigger camper in the future?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
As has been said 3.55 is your only option with 20" wheels. With 18" wheels either 3.31 or 3.55 is available. I have 3.55 gears with 20" wheels and the truck pulls my 16000 lb RV eaaily. I would recomend 3.31 if your happy with 18 inch wheels.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Even with 3.31 rear axle gears that truck will tow the snot out of a 9K trailer, or one twice as heavy for that matter. The diesel has over twice the torque of the 6.2 gas. Comparing with a 3.73 equipped GM truck is not valid comparison since the Ford has lower transmission gearing. A 3.31 equipped Ford has more aggressive overall gearing than a 3.73 equipped GM.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3