Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperTruss Extension Removal Question

gkerlin
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks.

Those of you experienced in the use of the Super Hitch SuperTruss Extension…

I just put mine together today. It seems impossible to get it out of the receiver unless I loosen up all the bolts on the U Brackets and then slide each tube out separately.

Trying to do them both at the same time… ugggg I can wiggle them a bit up and down while I try to pull them out - but the don't seem to budge.

I thought perhaps I'd sand the paint off of the tubes where they enter the receiver and perhaps see what I could do inside the receiver as well - but before I go nuts…

Is it normal to have to loosen up the whole assembly to remove it?

Anybody able to keep theirs all torqued up and side it in and out? A quick attach of the chains and tighten the turnbuckles and you are ready to go???
Greg, Kate & The Doodles
Class A CDL
2012 Tiffin Phaeton
Freightliner / ISC380
11 REPLIES 11

Lancehauler
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch will get stuck sometimes. I have never loosened any of the bolts. If it is stuck I will put a hi-lift jack on the end and jack it up a bit. It seems like the extension tubes move just a little bit to loosen the binding condition. Then I pull it out of the received by hand. Using this technique I have never had a problem removing the extension.
08 Lance 1181
2005 F350

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I install and remove my extension in pieces. First because it seems half the time I already have the TC on the truck and second the thing is heavy with a 48 inch extension.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

gkerlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies.

I haven't tightened the bolts until it was in the hitch, but even before I tightened them - it was impossible to pull out as a unit.

I did have a bit of a defective U-Connector though. One of them had too tight of a radius and would not sit flush on the upper tube. Long story short - I think this is causing some torque to be applied between the two tubes and the receiver to lock it in place.

I've discussed it with Torklift and sent them some pictures and they got right back to me that they are going to send me a new u-connector and shim plates. Hopefully when they arrive it should solve the issue.

Once I get them I'll post back how it turns out. I'm also thinking that perhaps it would be easier to remove once its used a time or two and "broken in" with rubbing off some of the paint?
Greg, Kate & The Doodles
Class A CDL
2012 Tiffin Phaeton
Freightliner / ISC380

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Don't tighten the bolts until it's IN the receiver hitch. Once you do that, it should always go in /out fairly easily... with some wiggling on occassion.
Bob

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Oh just leave it on the truck so you don't have to worry about damage if rearended

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I did adjusted mine one time on my 2011 Ford. Then I bought the Ram and the Super Hitch is different on it as you only add one receiver below the factory one. When I finished I got my Super Truss out figuring I would have to adjust it but it fit it with no trouble. I was really surprised that it fit. :B
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
No issues with mine. I even have 2 of the clamps...and welded them to the trusses. I do add some anti-seize compound where they slip into the receivers. No problems removing the entire assembly, other than it's weight.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

HarryBB
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue abut the fourth year. The geometry changes and binds up over time - or it could have been when I dragged the hitch up a steep driveway. I ended up using a chain and a tree and almost pulled the frame off my truck getting th3e darn thing out until I loosened the bolts and let the angles move independently. Took me a while to figure it all out. Now that I know it's not a big deal if I have to loosen them again.
'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

OVERSIZE_LOAD
Explorer
Explorer
I had to re torque mine after 1 use & now slides in and out like a champ.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
No
Yes
Yes
One of my concerns when I installed ours, always thought it be a bear, or slights tweak and it would jam up, but has always just slid in, or out?
Not sure but can you possibly 'see' direction it reliefs itself when loosening- or by wear- try to bolt together with tension in opposite direction?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I can get mine out, maybe try redo the setup?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB