cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC Boom

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Wyoming this month for vacation. On a typical trip to Wyoming we would see maybe 5 truck campers the entire trip. This has been the case for the last 20 years. This year we lost count. A rough estimate would be 80 truck campers, with pop-ups and hardsides being equally split. Campers from old to brand new.

I think people are starting to see how awesome we truck camper owners have had it. I see the envy in the eyes of the dude lugging the triple axle toy hauler into a tiny gas station. The haggard face of a man battling traffic with a 30 foot TT whipping around behind him, looking longingly at my rig. The guy in the parking lot asking a myriad of questions about my camper then ending the conversation with his head hanging down saying, "I'll never get my wife into one of those things", then walking back to his class A.

On that note I would like to just say THANK YOU THANK YOU to my wife for being such an awesome travel partner who has stated many time that we made the right choice.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne
37 REPLIES 37

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that you are inclined to spot the style of RV you actually drive/tow in greater numbers than the ones you don't. That following we have seen a greater number of truck campers on the west slope Northern Sierra Nevada than ever. In talking to a bumper pull guy here in Reno, who is out on a 2 month solo voyage around the west, he too mentioned the abundance, more than ever of travel trailers.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't noticed a recent change in the number of TCs. I wonder if we could find sales stats.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y'all nailed it. We started in the early 1980's with a cabover. Went all over Texas, Arkansas, and to Yellowstone. Kids got big and we did a class C. Kids got bigger and had school stuff and athletics every weekend and all summer. Sold the C. Retired. Bought a 5th, bought another 5th. Bought a used 1 time 2008 Bigfoot last year. Wife is scared of the stairs. OK...we'll just call it "my" camper.
I hate the hassle of the 5th...where to get fuel, RV site not long enough, where to stop to eat, is this a dead end street, 13'6" height. yadda yadda yadda.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Bubtoofat wrote:

On that note I would like to just say THANK YOU THANK YOU to my wife for being such an awesome travel partner who has stated many time that we made the right choice.

Mike

You are a lucky man!
Cal

bzgenius
Explorer
Explorer
We saw 1 truck camper on our way out west between kentucky and Iowa. As soon as we were a few miles in to south dakota they were everywhere and the closer to Glacier NP and in upper Idaho I think they out numbered the TT. Maybe it was because we are so mobile that we don't have to sit in one campground and the TT park in one spot and drive the other vehicles so it just seemed like we had more numbers during the week.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you don't see many truck campers in the USA, as we have looked while traveling south of the 49th. Up here on Canada on our little street with only 14 house there are four truck campers. Driving down the Hwy into town, every second truck has a camper on it.
Truck campers are very common up here " I think" because of the amount of people that go up in the bush hunting fishing etc...
We just bought a new Northern Lite 8-11 so that we can use it snowmobiling in the winter ATVing fishing and traveling in the warmer months. We used our first Camper to do the same before we had kids. Then as kids started showing up at the front door, we had to sell the fist camper for a trailer, then a number of 5th wheels.
Now that all them little brats have left home and taken 1/2 my money we are going back to our roots.... can't wait till it arrives in September.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

NGaMountains
Explorer
Explorer
As a soon to be first-time TC owner, I think you summed up our going in thoughts well in your post. Good stuff!
2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope not too much or all of my small camping spots will start to fill up.

I grew up with two sisters camping in an 11' Franklin so knew all about the thrills of TCing and camping. Wasn't long after our second child we purchased a 30' TT because I knew with kids in diapers I wasn't going to get my wife in a TC. We sold it after 8 years plus the truck. Within a year, we had a new truck as I couldn't live without one. Then came a 35' FW with bunk room for the kids. After a couple years, I got tired enough of setting up a tent while four wheeling that I purchased a used TC "against" my wife's wish. After owning the FW and TC for a few months, I managed to get the teenage kids to convince the wife to take a weekend trip in the TC because the kids wanted to stay by themselves in a tent. A few weeks later, it was another trip pulling a utility trailer with the kayaks. Convinced the wife that the TC was better and we sold the FW with her blessing. That was 8 years ago and we are still using the same TC but on the second truck.

Longest trip so far was 4 weeks to Maine, but it was enough to convince both of us that even after retirement in 150 weeks 4 days, a TC will be the way to go for at least the first several years while we zip around the country.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)