cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC Sliders that allow access with slides in

bwalton
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been addressed before but TC's change every year and the other posts seemed kind of old.

The only TC I can find that allows access with the slides in is the Adventurer 116DS and its access is pretty limited you would almost have to be anorexic to get in and I am not 🙂 are there any others ?

I am kind of flipping back and forth between a TC and a Class C and I can see lots of pros and cons to both but easy access and some degree of usability with the slides in would be a big plus for the TC.

It may be I will have to concentrate my efforts on looking at TC's without slides but in this case you loose some degree of livability.

Thanks
Bill
11 REPLIES 11

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bwalton wrote:
Now I know there are emergency exits, fire exits but how the devil do you get out if someone opens the door and closes the slide, are there backup switches inside, is there a manual override so you could push it out Or do you just yell tell someone comes along and opens it for you....

Thanks
Bill

If someone opens the door and attempts to close the slide, I'm going to hear it.
Wait.... If I'm in the camper and sleeping, the door is locked, so no one is going to come in and close the slide.

In my AF811, there's room to get out if the slide is in. There's also access to get to the slide switch from inside, but it's at foot level.

Someone else hear installed a secondary slide switch closer to the front of the camper, so they could retract their slide while inside. It was one of the bigger AF campers.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bwalton
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb question, but I saw a video the other day of a unit and it happened to show the door open with the slide in,now you could not get a slice of bread between the end of the slide and the side of the camper it completely blocked the door.

Now I know there are emergency exits, fire exits but how the devil do you get out if someone opens the door and closes the slide, are there backup switches inside, is there a manual override so you could push it out Or do you just yell tell someone comes along and opens it for you....

Thanks
Bill

bwalton
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
bwalton wrote:
The only TC I can find that allows access with the slides in is the Adventurer 116DS and its access is pretty limited you would almost have to be anorexic to get in and I am not 🙂 are there any others ?

If I was you, I'd look at the actual models in person. Just because I say mine is fine doesn't mean it will work for you.

Slides make all types of RVs smaller inside when they are in, so don't assume an even larger RV like a Class C will be completely usable when the slides are in.

I know that is the case but it is usually not as bad in the Class C's for example, I know the Greyhawks do seem to cut off some use of the kitchen in the front slide models but you still have access to most of the camper.

Its a little difficult for me to drop into the RV store and have a look for some reason the dealers in my area don't carry TC's so unless you happen to catch a used one on the lot your out of luck. The closest RV dealer to me that carries them is 500k so I have to do due diligence online with videos, reviews, etc the final decision would be in person but most of the shopping will have to be done online. .

Thanks
Bill

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
The Eagle Cap 960 allows access with slide in, if you go in sideways...
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
The 2005 and 2006 Lance Max 881 and Max 981 allow access to the dinette, bed area, kitchen and even the bathroom. It is a little cramped but manageable.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
bwalton wrote:

If I was you, I'd look at the actual models in person. Just because I say mine is fine doesn't mean it will work for you.

Slides make all types of RVs smaller inside when they are in, so don't assume an even larger RV like a Class C will be completely usable when the slides are in.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
AF811 is tight getting by the bathroom when entering the camper with the slide in.
Bob

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 990, 1140, 1150 allow access and use with the slides in. It is a little bit tight to get in for the first part as you move by the bathroom but not too bad. I believe you can also access the other Arctic Fox models but I don't have personal experience so I'll let other chime in.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Lance 855S (shortbed model) is functional with the slide in. However, my wife and I are both slender. Still, we usually bump the slide out just a tad during quick stops. It makes it easier to get the four of us in & out quickly.

Although I'm not speaking from experience, it would seem floorplans with opposing slides (one on the passenger side and one the drivers side) may be impacted the most when the slides are in.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
HI Bill,

We have a 2005 Lance 1121 (the 66 Mustang of TC's) That is easily usable with the slide in as are many other Lance models in the 11 foot range. I expect that the larger TC's will be more likely to function in this way. I suggest you will achieve the best results with a long bed 3500, F-350 or larger for ease of use and comfort.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bill,

I'm not sure what your budget is but all the TC's I've seen with the slide out are very well built.
I would say a great option to a class C. Especially an Artic Fox.
What truck will you be using. That helps too.