Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tech problem with MaxxFan Deluxe--need advice

EddieS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

I put a MaxxFan Deluxe in my Lance 815 last fall. Worked perfectly, but early this year, when I'd turn the fan on, it would run for a few seconds, then the fan would stop, beep 30 times over 30 seconds (green light blinking), then green light would stay steady and wouldn't function at all. Pulling the fuse would reset it, and most times it would run normally the rest of the day.

Called tech support, and they mailed me a new PC board. I installed it, and the fan ran fine for a few weeks, then did the same thing the old PC board did.

Emailed tech support, and the tech director wanted voltages. Turned the fan on. Got a shore float voltage of 13.6, unplugged from shore, turned the fridge to DC (to run battery down), ran battery eventually down to 11.68, turned off fridge, plugged back into shore, charger boosted at 14.29, and I measured till it got just above 14, then called it quits. Fan never quit running.

Tech support mailed me back, saying the fan is only designed to run between 10.8 and 13.2, and can only handle spikes for a few minutes, and that my voltage levels are likely causing the problem.

I mailed back that this unit is designed to be on vehicles, with alternators and/or shore chargers, and that typical alternators charge 13.8-14.2 volts, and camper chargers like mine float at 13.6, and boost to 14.4, and that any application in an RV or van would subject the fan's circuit board to damaging voltages, and that my situation is likely the normal than the exception.

He said he understands, but it isn't designed to handle more than 13.2 without causing failure.

Any recommendations? Do I really have to install a voltage regulator for something that is supposed to be for my application? Or has anyone had similar issues and had no problems like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Eddie
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." -Quentin Tarantino
11 REPLIES 11

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
EddieS wrote:

....The voltage to the fan should be between 10.8 and 13.2 volts, but it can handle the surge of up to `16 volts for a bit, but not a continued voltage of above 13.2

I am not sure if that was miscommunicated by Dale, or misunderstood by the poster, but the constant voltage to the fan should be 12 volt plus or minus 10 percent......

IMO, any product sold to be powered by an RV or vehicle 12 volt system should be able to tolerate 15 volts indefinitely. Otherwise it's defective design and/or deceptive marketing. My low-tech Turbo Maxx runs often with the charger at 14.4 volts. Its manual specifies the maximum current draw at 13.8 volts.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
EddieS wrote:

He said he understands, but it isn't designed to handle more than 13.2 without causing failure.

Any recommendations? Do I really have to install a voltage regulator for something that is supposed to be for my application? Or has anyone had similar issues and had no problems like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Eddie

Edie....

Add this

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterproof-Automatic-Regulator-Stabilizer/dp/B018WZK5XQ?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9119938011

EddieS
Explorer
Explorer
D.E. Bishop-

This is the response I got after relaying the info from tech you emailed to the one I've been working with:

Mike Dickey
Fri 7/26/2019 10:32 AM

The voltage to the fan should be between 10.8 and 13.2 volts, but it can handle the surge of up to `16 volts for a bit, but not a continued voltage of above 13.2

I am not sure if that was miscommunicated by Dale, or misunderstood by the poster, but the constant voltage to the fan should be 12 volt plus or minus 10 percent. This might change in the future as new boards are being looked at, but right now it should be in that voltage range.

Mike Dickey
Technical Assistance Coordinator

This appears to be an issue that isn't going to be resolved with a new PC board. I ordered two of the buck regulators, one for my fan, and the other for a future use. If I still have the issue after installing the regulator, then I'll likely need another replacement board.

-Eddie
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." -Quentin Tarantino

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I've had no problems with mine. Something I'll have to look into, when it's cold in the winter I see voltage up to 16v with temp compensation from my charge controller, although unlikely to be using the fan then.

I Did come across a video on the everlanders page about issues with condensation. He coated his with a conformal coating. I plan to do this soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkIDSVldJis&t=1s
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I heard back from Maxxair and here is what they said, .

The tech you talked to maybe correct but you are not introducing a spike, you are just raising the available source. I'd contact the source you heard from before and show them their engineering departments reply. I think you are correct, it shouldn't be showing a code.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

EddieS
Explorer
Explorer
Just watched the youtube video... THANKS! Really helpful! I hadn't seen it before, but basically had the exact same conversation with the tech about where these fans are used over the course of 10 emails, except he never mentioned anything above 13.2, or that they've been revising the board to tolerate higher voltages because others are having the same issues...

I did notice that the board the video poster had didn't look like the boards I have, which don't even look like each other.

In one of my emails, I told the tech that it appeared the only way I was going to be within their tolerances was to get a voltage regulator, and if he had any recommendations, and he said that those weren't something they delt with...

I'm definiely getting that DC buck converter, and it appears its amp rating will work fine with the fan. MaxxAir really needs to revise those boards. This is ridiculous.

EddieS
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add something:

When I did the testing for the tech (who is the Technical Assistance Coordinator), I ran the fan from low to high speeds, forward and reverse, and like I said, from 11.68 to 14.29 volts, it kept running. Amp draw was never more than 3.53 while on high.

What he was wanting was a voltage reading when the fan quit running, so I tried the next day, and voltage was 13.16 (within tolerances) when the fan was started and quickly quit running, started beeping then became unresponsive.

I explained this to him, and he maintained that he believes the voltages above 13.2 are what has caused the board to react that way.

The fan runs fine half the time, but sometimes, won't run for more than a few seconds before it stops, and other times, will run for an hour or so before it stops. Really no pattern to it.

It's a really well-designed fan, and I like the asthetics, and have had it open during the worst storms and never had any water get in. If they'd figure what is causing this problem, I'd be happy.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
While easy enough to add reg- the fact that fan can not handle typical voltages in an RV is simply astounding, more so that rep would admit to that. Makes no since given it is sold for RVs and as you stated the 14+ volts is the 'norm' not 'high voltage level' or a 'spike'.

I looked at the install specs and all I found was 'minimum 12V @5amp', no reference or warning that voltage above 13.2 can damage fan.

Googling around I did find several instances of this issue and other reps relating board should not see more than 13.9.
Video of installing reg.
https://youtu.be/1wyxDdn8Cpo?t=129
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see what they tell me tomorrow. I ask someone else, I may get a different answer.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s why my two roof fans arenโ€™t โ€œdeeee-luxe.โ€

Key features:

Remote controls fan speed, thermostat, and air intake and exhaust.
Option to open the vent manually.
MaxxFan can operate with lid the closed (ceiling fan)
All mounting screws and hardware included
Control the Maxxfan at the ceiling unit or by remote.
Fits 406x406mm (16 x 16 inch) roof openings
Can be used while vehicle is moving.
Built-in rain Shield
Built in Thermostat

Didnโ€™t you think something would malfunction?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
That is a bunch of BS!! Been wanting that fan for 2 years. Thanks for posting.