cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell me your horror stories (Diesel)

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, so browsing through the thread about the 2011 Ford diesel left me in shock. Seems like there were many issues with the early builds of that engine. I know the Cummins and Duramax of that generation had their own issues (mostly emissions related?).

How are the newest gen Ford 6.7L diesels holding up (2015+)?
Are their similar stories for the Cummins and Duramax in the latest gen (2014+)? I know the Cummins has been 370hp/800tq for a while (in the 2500), have they worked out the kinks in that one? Are failures common? I only know one guy with a 2014 Ram 6.7L Cummins SRW 3500. He has had plenty of recalls and was losing coolant a while back, but I think that was the famous water pump issue. He has had no serious issues. His is a 370hp/800tq version with a 68RFE auto. But that's a sample of 1 which is pretty meaningless.

I went with a 6.4L Hemi last time I was shopping as it suited my needs better and frankly, I was scared away from diesels (all of them). At that time, my research told me they weren't worth the gamble. What I mean by that is their superior towing performance wasn't worth it to me when they could cost me tens of thousands to repair if they failed, and they were all (my opinion) having reliability issues in the 2011 to 2013 time period. I thought they were mostly pesky ones to do with emissions, but I'm just not into check engine lights on new trucks.

Are the diesels getting better? Should I put them back on my shopping list for my next new truck?

I'll likely be towing under 10k GVW, and it'll likely be a TT around 30'. I do want to log some miles though, and that will include some long distance touring (cross Country type).
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
149 REPLIES 149

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The internet is full of 'horror stories' about pretty well any vehicle. Ford and GM did have their issues with diesels but unless you are considering a 15+ year old truck you are worrying needlessly. Other than an a/c clutch and a heater core neither of which are engine related my 05 Ram ctd has been trouble free. I love the diesel and would rather fight than switch.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I was a die hard Ford guy; I bought a 1996 7.3L new which was a great truck and I regret selling it to this day (it still brought over $20k at ten years old). I then bought a 2003 F-350 Lariat with the 6.0L diesel used; it was in fantastic condition and ran well. Then the problems started; clogging EGR valve numerous times (I finally had it deleted), crappy running when cold, head gasket failure, oil leaks, sticking turbo, and probably other things I`m forgetting.

I then started shopping for a newer truck and decided to skip Ford after I started hearing about some of the problems with the 6.7L, especially the CP4 pump issue. We were starting to get some of them at my work and a look under the hood of one finalized my decision not to go with Ford.

I then looked at Ram and GM and ended up loving the Ram when I first started test driving them. I researched them extensively and did not find any major common problems with them, especially after DEF was added. I bought the truck in my signature new in March, 2014 and have been a very happy camper. Yes, it had many recalls but they were all taken care of quickly by my dealer. It pulls our 16k fiver easier than the Ford towed our last 12k fiver and gets better fuel mileage doing so.

The only non recall related issue was a CEL which was quickly fixed by a computer update.

I would buy another Ram Cummins in a heartbeat.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Diesel horror story? Diesel running 60-70 cents more per gallon than gasoline.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Here's my "horror story", 14 years ago (when my dad owned it) my 2000 F250's CPS failed and the truck wouldn't start. I think it might have cost over $50 to get the truck running again! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel that I bought new and now has 37k on. Other than a tire pressure sensor needing replaced under warranty, I have had zero issues. Of course itโ€™s had a few recalls, but I accept that as a normal part of owning any vehicle in this age. My low miles may not be a great example of longevity, but I do work it hard
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
2014 Cross Roads Zinger 31sb

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had any diesel horror stories. I have had a few horror stories with gas engines though. I owned a Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi engine that got pretty horrible fuel mileage when towing a 16' enclosed trailer with a Jeep inside. My 6.4 got 6.4, MPG that is.

The dealership I bought my latest truck from sells Ram and Ford, and has the lowest prices for several states around. People actually fly in to buy their truck here. They also add an unlimited mileage and unlimited time drivetrain warranty to every truck they sell, free of charge. So, drivetrain is covered forever.

I have always been a Mopar fan, and have owned several Ram diesels, and both the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi trucks. My last Ford pickup truck was a 1993 F350 regular cab with the 460 ci V8, so its been a while since I've owned a Ford. But this time I test drove the new Cummins Ram and the new Powerstroke Ford, and came home with the Ford. Having owned both gas and diesel, I greatly prefer diesel, irregardless of whether I'm towing or not. I don't anticipate any problems with it, but if there are, its covered under warranty forever.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure if they are 'getting better' The Tier 4 final mandate has added to the complexity and component failure rate of modern diesel engines. No fault of the basic design however.

Everyone Ford, GM, Fiat Chrysler and even the imports share the same emissions components so failure of those components isn't a brand related thing. More of a lowest bidder thing.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
y only diesel horror story concerns B20 bio diesel. I store my truck inside all winter and I always fill the fuel tank to the top. Couple winters ago I mad a mistake, used B20 to top it off. Big mistake.

Over the winter layup it grew algae in the fuel system and a thousand dollars later it was fixed. I imagine if I had it done, would have been 2 thousand bucks.

Lesson learned, no B20 here again and a fuel stabilizer in the diesel over the winter too.

Only horror story I have. My ownership has been seamless.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingbob wrote:
As far as up front cost , my $6,000 diesel upgrade , if you access Blue book prices for used trucks will show my diesel should bring a return of 70 to 75 percent of its cost . That is more of a return than the truck itself !
I think he is asking about repairs and maintenance - not return upon sale. That interests me also. It means nothing to get 75% of its new cost back if you spent 200% fixing it (just an exaggeration to make the difference clear, not saying that's happening).

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll likely be towing under 10k GVW, and it'll likely be a TT around 30'. I do want to log some miles though, and that will include some long distance touring (cross Country type).

Another 6.4 Ram would work just fine. No DEF, no regen, no complicated exhaust system. And you will have about half the torque of the Cummins but for light loads that should not be much of an issue. Mileage towing (compared to the diesel) will be an eye opener, however.

Since you asked, I have had three Cummins since '93 putting on over 360,000 miles and, so far, have spent less than $2000 in engine related issues over the last 25 years. The most expensive repair was the radiator fan clutch, a part that cost about $325. Having the torque for towing and the much better fuel mileage towing has more than made up for the up front entrance fee of the diesel.

The new diesel exhaust systems are not 'grocery getter' short trips, stopping and starting the engine friendly. The engine will need to be run, hard is better, for an hour or so a week to keep the exhaust system happy.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
No horror stories with my 2013 Duramax, it's been running perfect for 5 1/2 years.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as up front cost , my $6,000 diesel upgrade , if you access Blue book prices for used trucks will show my diesel should bring a return of 70 to 75 percent of its cost . That is more of a return than the truck itself !

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
In had a 2007 F350 6.0, spent $7000 in one year to keep it runnung. Sold it and purchased an 08 GMC 3500 Duramax, five years ago, and it has been nearly perfect. Today's diesels I would get any one of them, they all seem to doing well. We will more than likely get an F450 with 6.7 for our next truck in a couple of years.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had five Ram/Cummins pick up trucks .Have drove over one million miles in them .The only problem that I have had that cost more than one hundred dollars was an injector replacement on my 5.9 that cost $1,400.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip diesels with that light of a load. New diesels will cost you around 7000 dollars up front and more at the pump. With your trailer its just not worth it.
But, to answer your initial question, other than some emission issues and the crappy CP4 lift pump used by Ford and GM the new diesels are all pretty good.