cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tent ends of Hybrids.

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
Okโ€ฆ for anyone with tent issuesโ€ฆfirst my storyโ€ฆ I have a 2013 Kodiak 210 ES by Dutchmen. On our last trip out, the stitching was coming out of the tent end where it mounts to the camper. We took it to camping world (place we bought it) and was told the tent ends need replaced. Iโ€™m looking at over $1200 for this repair) The camper is 2 years old and there is no way this should happen. So weโ€™ve been back and forth with Keystone/Dutchmen and so far they have offered up to pay 50% of the parts but no labor. So I told Keystone at this point I donโ€™t know what Iโ€™m paying 50% of as I had not received a quote. Lisa at Keystone told me the least expensive tent end is $250 and most expensive is $450. I said ok, so Iโ€™m looking at paying ยฝ of $500 - $900? Which she confirmed. Now I get the call from Camping World, and am told the parts alone are $660 each end. I said thatโ€™s funny, I just got off the phone with Keystone and told her what they told me. There was silence on the other end and I said, so thereโ€™s a markup on parts, huh? The service writer confirmed that as wellโ€ฆ Iโ€™m also looking at about 4-6 hours in labor at $100+/hourโ€ฆso $1800+ for this repair. As you know Iโ€™m not a happy camper!

PS I picked it from camping world without being repaired this past Friday as we are headed to the Adirondacks this Thursday (7/2) figured I put tarps over the tent ends to help keep rain outโ€ฆ.

Nowโ€ฆfor all you hybrid ownersโ€ฆ while cleaning out all the electric appliances (toaster, George Forman, etc.) and searching for the dogs rabies records, I found the tent manufacturer in my ownerโ€™s manual. So I called Top Stitch Inc. in Elkhart Indiana. I spoke to a wonderful woman named Candyโ€ฆ when I told her what was going on, before I could say it was the corners, she asked if it was the corners. I confirmedโ€ฆ so here is her explanation. The J-Lock failed because the bunk board is not adjusted correctly. The tents are not made to handle the weight of people, so my cables either stretched or it was assembled incorrectly. If I were to replace the tent ends and not adjust the cable they would fail again. NOW the best partโ€ฆ. It will cost me, $158 + shipping one way to remove the tent ends, Top Stitch will sew new J-lock on and send them back in 2-3 days of receiving. Thatโ€™s quite a difference from the $1800+ I was looking at.

So if your tents are starting to fail, bypass the manufacturer of the unit and go straight to the tent manufacturer.

In April of this year, the roof membrane glue failed and I had a big air pillow on top of the camperโ€ฆ as a good will gesture, Keystone said they will reimburse me for ยฝ of that bill, which was $400.

So now the technical question Iโ€™m not sure how to remove the tent end from the bunk, removing from inside of the camper is a snap, itโ€™s just a few screws and all setโ€ฆ the tent end is attached โ€œpermanentlyโ€ attached. Iโ€™m currently at work and have not had a chance to look it overโ€ฆ
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog
6 REPLIES 6

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
scottsnider wrote:
I don't have any problems with my canvas (thank GOD) but was wondering as I was reading the post here, what is a J Lock?

J lock is a plastic that the canvas is sewn to and then mounted to the inside of the camper. Jayco and Rockwood do not use them, the canvas is mounted to the inside of the camper. At least on the 2015 models I was looking at.
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any problems with my canvas (thank GOD) but was wondering as I was reading the post here, what is a J Lock?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
After 7 years my front tent had to move from initial setting hole to next one. Now my front bunk door is delamninating and the current divorce debacle. That hybrid will be history!
Back to canoe camping, and off grid tent camping.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
our tent ends are held up with aircraft cables instead of poles underneath, which is way cool I thought. I noticed there were three adjustment holes for locating the cables, but everything seems tight and secure as is for now. I am 99% certain all the weight is being held up by the cables, not the canvas. I wonder how long before I need to check this? Canvas seems tight, but not too tight right now. There are also adjustment holes in the tent poles that hold up the "roof" of the canvas, and they are at the minimum setting - and I can't see needing any more unless the canvas stretches in the future. I'll be sure to check this all again very carefully this coming Wednesday when we set up again. I am glad you got relief, but better to never have this problem if I can prevent it. Thanks for posting...

NorfolkCounty
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU!!! J Lock has broken on lower corner of one of our bunks, I will probably get the local upholstery shop to sew new J Lock on, but it never occurred to me that it could have broken due to cable adjustment. Now I know to pay attention to the cable adjustment during the repair. You have saved me from this happening again after the repairs. Thanks again.
Chris - Chesapeake, VA
2007 Silverado 2500HD 2WD 6.0L, 2009 Jayco 26BH

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
What many hybrid owners fail to realize is that the tent ends have a separate warranty.
They usually have a 5-6 year warranty.
They have quite often done repairs after the trailer manufacturer warranty has expired.
But you do have to remove the ends and ship them to them.

Kodiak/Dutchmen hasn't had the best reputation for helping their hybrid owners with issues.

We really liked the Kodiak/Cub hybrids but seeing all the unhappy owners over the years, turned us off to them.
Especially after the Thermarest tent end debacle.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes