The "Walking TC"

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
First off, the appropriate music for this topic:

I'm Walkin' -Fats Domino

Aerosmith- Walk This Way

Johnny Cash- I Walk the Line

Now that we are in the right mood, here is the article in today's TC Magazine: The Walking Truck Camper

Think of the possibilities: Self-loading, self-parking tucked away in the corner of your yard, getting to that ideal spot up on a hill in the backwoods where your tuck cannot go.

Neat concept it is... wonder if it could become a mass produced reality?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
33 REPLIES 33

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that’s the point everyone is missing. It’s art, not a practical thing.
And it’s cool.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bedlam
I checked the date of the article. Either Gordon was a day late or this is art over function with no practical use in the current form.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone else think this was just an April fools joke?
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2006 F-450 16k GVWR, Kelderman 4-link rear suspension
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
K Mac wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Interesting but I'm waiting for the drone model.
I'm waiting for the one that can "beam" it up to Scotty !:E

I've decided I'll get one when I can play fetch with it. 🙂

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I am still in the "gee whiz, what will they think of next" phase -- I very clearly remember a world not only without the Internet and cell phones but without personal computers, and without answering machines (really!). So the pace of change is still interesting to me, and I am looking forward to the time when RVs in general begin to feature advanced technology at reasonable prices -- carbon fiber, high capacity batteries, ultra rugged components, etc.

So, why not legs, too, as long as I'm dreaming?? 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am suggesting nothing other than the possibilities should such an item be available at some point, but thank you for reading my mind:p... To think it is a component that is actually for use at this time is ridiculous.

Without being too presumptive, I guess folks only saw the thread title and one image in the link and then made a judgment that it is ready for use... but I do not want to assume anything as that would be ridiculous.;)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it depends on what question/comment people are responding to. Sure, the creator was creating a sculpture, but the OP and a few others seem to be suggesting that it should be a product.

Still others are comparing the sculptor to some of the greatest engineering minds in history. That's a way bit over the top considering that she made a sculpture.

Holy thread hijack, Batman. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Interesting but I'm waiting for the drone model.
I'm waiting for the one that can "beam" it up to Scotty !:E

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ben Franklin attended the first balloon launch in Paris. Someone asked, "What good is it?" His reply: "What good is a newborn baby?"

Yes, this device is crude and useless. But check out this astonishing video, and now imagine a really robust set of "smart legs" on a small boxy trailer (or TC) that can step over big rocks and through streams -- there would be no campsite out of reach!

Boston Dynamics quadruped robots working together to open doors and walk out
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be cool when the TC is parked... it could take a hike to the dump station, and empty itself when needed.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
DWeikert wrote:

I'd be willing to bet Wilbur and Orville heard similar comments.
:B

....as well as Copernicus, Galileo and Da Vinci were perhaps also mocked.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the comments here make me chuckle. First off Xiao is female, not a guy. Second this is kinetic art sculpture not a bid for a new product. Watch the video of her making this thing. Very cool, she has fab and engineering skills very few guys posses. She is an art student who came up with a crazy idea that is pretty awesome IMO. It doesn't need to make practice sense.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

bjohns
Explorer
Explorer
How about an ez-loader one that walks onto the bed of my pickup?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
DWeikert wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Seriously? :h
It's probably not the dumbest thing I've seen but, it makes the top ten.

I'd be willing to bet Wilbur and Orville heard similar comments.
:B

Joke, right?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member