cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is a Standard Wire Color Code...

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
...and then there is Keystone. The plastic license plate mount tabs broke on my taillight so instead of replacing, I built a bracket on the rear bumper to re-mount the license. I used LED license plate bolt lights and decided to run the hot and ground back to the junction box. I opened the box, found the brown wire connection and cut, soldered and heat shrink'ed the two original wires and my new third wire and tied the ground to ground. When I applied power to Pin #1, the running lights were on but no license plate lights. I started probing with a meter and found the green wire coming in from the seven pin is running lights which is connected to a green wire going into the trailer. The pinout is correct, but the color code is NOT standard. I should have verified the pinout an color code first I guess, but who would have thought the color code would be wrong?? Lesson learned. I re-did my work to non-standard and now have license plate lights. Brown is right/turn stop on my trailer, except for the brown wire going back to my license plate lights soldered to the two green ones! So much for a standard.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10
7 REPLIES 7

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are no wiring color standards for a RV. There are some suggestions that may be followed. And they will not stop production while someone runs to the store for the correct color.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are no wiring color standards for a RV. There are some suggestions that may be followed. And they will not stop production while someone runs to the store for the correct color.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
I took a second look at the etrailer.com site (below) where I got the original info and found out that is correct; cargo trailers are different than travel trailers and fifth wheels, and I used the cargo trailer guide. I guess there are multiple standards depending on the type of trailer. The top chart on e-trailer's site doesn't break it down by trailer type, just number of pins and color, but below there is a distinction between the two. As always, this site has the real information! Thanks for setting me right.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Green was the standard running light color for many, many years. Lately people have tried to adapt the cargo trailer color code to the RV 7 way, which creates confusion.

I would always remember, when wiring a 4 way to a 7 way- green to brown, brown to green, yellow to red.

-- Chris Bryant

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the wires on my Beaver DP are white, but each wire is labeled what it is for.....takes some good eyes, not mine to read some of them!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to know. I have a Keystone TT, so I appreciate you sharing this info.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, on a RV it always pays to check first.
I don't trust any colored wires.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE