cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about getting rid of bunkhouse

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
so I have a Salem 29QBDS. its got the huge bunk room for the kids in the back, however I have an 8 and 11 year old and they Don't Use it. they are never back there except to sleep and sometimes they crash in the main area anyways. Furthermore we hate the living area of this trailer there is no comfortable seating and the build quality has been subpar. I was at the dealership today and we looked at a couple of rear lounge trailers. we found one we really liked in the Springdale 311RE. It has so much living space, and a real shower, a pantry (ours does not) and so much storage and a central vacuum. my wife thinks the kids will be fine on the hide-a sofa- and more comfortable too as the bunkhouse just has a thin foam mat. I agree but something just strikes me wierd about getting rid of the bunkhouse. I do have it sold to a co worker if I pull the trigger by next wednesday (he wants it for the 4th, and will buy a different one from the dealer if I don't sell) for a less than $2,000 loss over what I paid for it 4 years ago so I feel thats reasonable depreciation to absorb but am I crazy for getting rid of the bunks?
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"
29 REPLIES 29

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
mike77leprechaun wrote:
been out 3 days now, loving the trailer, towed awesome. so much less stress and my kids are enjoying just sleeping in the huge living room.... right move.

Yippee Skippy!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Most everything has been said but bottom line if you want something new, go for it. Always dangerous looking a trailers.

We have a bunkhouse and bought it when our youngest was 17. One reason was he felt if we did not have a space for him then we did not want him going. Another reason is wife's rule is everyone must have a bed as she is not setting up table or couch for sleeping. And the last reason is has the outside kitchen that I required.

Friends of ours got rid of his beds when their son was 16 figuring he would not be camping any longer. 4 years later his son and father camp with him. He or his wife spend time every night and morning setting up and taking down sleeping. The couch is not large enough so the place a large board and mattress on top of it. It is a project every day. He then complains that he is unable to use the table and couch when he gets up and before he goes to bed as they are not available. Drives him crazy.

Just be sure your new trailer is what you want. This year our son has not camped with us but the bunk room is a great changing room for us and is great for storage.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
been out 3 days now, loving the trailer, towed awesome. so much less stress and my kids are enjoying just sleeping in the huge living room.... right move.
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
I towed it, and bought it. tows so much better than my trailer. the techs had to adjust it twice with the "correct track" alignment. the hitch weight is 120 less. they filled both the fresh water and waste tanks for the test tow so we had quite a bit of weight back there. doing the paperwork tomorrow. I took the 7 year warranty. I've had 6 items repaired under their "route 66" warranty with my current trailer without issue so I trust it. I'm out of pocket about $3200 with that service contract.

ctabailey
Explorer
Explorer
bunkhouse for us! With two little daughters (4) & (2) we ALL enjoy our own separate spaces. The earlier comment about "have them do most of the work... eat breakfast have them pick up their bedding" made me LOL!! So true! let them sleep in their own back room, so I can enjoy my morning coffee in the dining area, and the DW is even still sleeping in the front bedroom. Just me and the dog in the mornings.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young, camping with my parents, my brother and I preferred to sleep in a tent. Now, the few time our daughter goes, she sleeps on the sofa. I say get something with more usable space that fits your needs.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
my ram will tow 10,600 so it's not a concern. The hitch weight is about 120 less than I currently tow.

I'm not the weight police, do as you want, but don't be fooled by the numbers. That sentence makes me believe that you don't fully understand all that is involved with towing safely. It's not just about the tow rating. Tow ratings are meaningless. You will exceed several other ratings (GVWR, payload, RAWR) before getting anywhere near the tow rating.

You need to concern yourself with the Payload rating first. Rams have some of the lowest in the industry. If yours is a crew cab it is likely LESS than 1100lbs! Your loaded trailer tongue weight alone will use that up. Add a family of 4 and you'll far exceed the payload and GVWR.

It'll "pull" it, just can't "carry" it. Educate yourself on the ratings first so you don't get stuck, like many others here have, with an undersized tow vehicle.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
my ram will tow 10,600 so it's not a concern. The hitch weight is about 120 less than I currently tow. I am going to "test tow" it monday. The current bunkhouse is a couch on one side and a dinette on the other so we have to set up beds anyways. As far as why my kids don't use the BH they seem to want to hang out with us and I'm not complaining. I'll report back after I pull the trailer. Thanks for the replies.

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get 2000 less than what you paid four years ago then it's pretty much a no-brainer. JUmp on it and run. You will enjoy the roomier trailer for sure.

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Step up to a toy hauler that has a drop down bunk(s) where that space can also be used for a couch with removable table or ??? Some of the TH can be purchased with a way to make the ramp into an outside sitting deck. The TH floor plans are advancing pretty nicely now-a-days.

Just because you buy a toy hauler doesn't mean you need to load toys into it.

If you go this route be sure to check pin/tongue weight. With garages in the back designed to hold toys they are balanced such that they give a much heavier tongue weight when there are no toys in there.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Mom and Dad need a new trailer. I can relate. Go for it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Step up to a toy hauler that has a drop down bunk(s) where that space can also be used for a couch with removable table or ??? Some of the TH can be purchased with a way to make the ramp into an outside sitting deck. The TH floor plans are advancing pretty nicely now-a-days.

Just because you buy a toy hauler doesn't mean you need to load toys into it.
I love me some land yachting

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not happy, then sell it and get something that suits your needs better. If the kids want their own space put them in a tent. Whatever you decide, I'd suggest something smaller/lighter. What you are considering is too much trailer for a 1500 Ram. I'd even bet that your current setup exceeds several of your Rams' ratings.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
We found the same thing. Got rid of our BH last year. With two kids and three dogs we wanted more living space...well and closet space...and I got my door to seperate toilet area. It takes 5 minutes to make the couch and dinette into a bed. Hand them a few blankets and a pillows and they're good. It opens a ton of space and we're no longer tripping over each other during the day. We are very happy with the change.