cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Three Season Trailer to Four Season Trailer

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small Sunnybrook three season trailer which we enjoyed tremendously over the years. However, it is a three season trailer, with no insulation or covering underneath for the tanks and pipes.

Would appreciate hearing from folks who have insulated the tanks and bottom of their three season trailers, thus turning it into a four season trailer that can be used in freezing weather.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
19 REPLIES 19

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, especially Bob and John.

Wife and I use cut-out reflextic material from Lowes (like truck/car bubble foil for windshield/dash to keep sun out) for each window and put it between the blinds and windows at night.

And it greatly helps with window insulation, not only in winter but with our 104 degree Texas days.

I was surprised at how much it helped. I offer this cheap/easy idea for folks that need just a little help with their window insulation.

John, that is excellent information and very sound advice!
I agree totally.
And having been FT 2 Alberta winters in the minus 30's in a 3 season TT, I can attest to your moisture comments.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
TECMike wrote:

Would appreciate hearing from folks who have insulated the tanks and bottom of their three season trailers, thus turning it into a four season trailer that can be used in freezing weather.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Hi Mike,

We have winter camped a good amount but not in a full time capacity. Our camper does have enclosed tanks and dump valves, but still it is not 4 season rated. I had to do other upgrades to make it better and tolerable.

A few things to help add to what has not yet been mentioned, some ways on how to deal with them, and what can happen if you don't.

Internal moisture. This is a big deal if you do not deal with it.

Here are the highlights, can expand more if wanted

1. Any time the heat runs in the camper, there can be a humidity issue with people living inside such a small space. Two people sleeping and breathing overnight adds a good deal of moisture inside the camper.

2. Cooking and using the gas stove top adds moisture in the camper. As well as washing dishes.

3. Taking showers adds a lot of moisture.

4.If you ever winter camped in a tent, you learned you have to vent the tent or else you will wake up soaking wet or worse, snow frozen inside from your own breath freezing. The key point is, vent. This is one way to help the situation.

5. When cooking, crack a window open next to the stove. Let the moisture get out.

6. When showering, crack the vent open a good amount, let the excess moisture get out.

7. Sleeping, crack the roof vent open a good 1" at the opposite end of the camper to let the night moisture get out. All night long. Yes, heat goes out with it too, but the moisture is dying to get out, so let it go.

8. Those 3 above help but they are not a total cure. Running a large enough dehumidifier really helps and then you can close the roof vent at night, but still vent when showering and cooking.

8A. Get a humidity meter so you can track it.

9. Windows, if you do not have dual pane windows, consider putting the Frost King shrink wrap on them. I stick it to the aluminum strip/frame around the window. It does really help, the windows do not sweat, and it saves heat. The aluminum strip I stick it too in the morning does sweat some, I wipe it up with a dry wash cloth.

10. Consider adding attic vents. 3 or more pending the length of the camper. These make a big difference. Moisture seeks lower moisture areas naturally. The moisture wants to get out of the camper to the outside lower humidity. Moisture seeps up into your attic through all the tiny holes in the ceiling system. Ac ducts, shower steam domes, radios speakers, etc. and the moisture stays up there. The rubber/TPO/PVC roof will not let it get out. Left unchecked long enough, mold in the attic starts growing. These vents should be added even if you have the dehumidifier. I have restored campers doing a re-roof where folks never vented the camper ever when the heat ran and the windows sweat. This is early spring and later fall and not in the winter. Mold does grow in the attic. These attic vents also help in the summer to let the attic heat out. I have added many to the campers I have restored. They do work. Every camper should have them, even 3 season campers.

11. If you do not deal with the moisture, your walls will sweat.

Hope this helps and glad to expand on it more if needed.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Let's not hijack Mike's thread here and forget the purpose is to help him with 4 season trailer info.
Sorry Mike.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

2 many 2 wrote:
Okay, now you have me curious, what is the butter story?

I have been reading both of you guys forever and I don't remember that one. :B

BobsYourUncle wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

But!! It was a blast! I enjoyed the challenge of being FT in freezing Alberta winters! Great memories! And a few stories to go with it... :B

Did it still smell like BUTTER when you sold it :W

LOL!
I'll never live that one down! Although it sits unused, in favor of our Tango, I still own it. I go into it once in a while and somehow get this mysterious craving for popcorn! :B:B

Well, on a cold Alberta winter day nearly 7 years ago, January 27, 2014 to be exact, I had a mishap with a nice new pound of butter.
I used to post a humorous story here and there about little things that went awry with myself and my TT, and my butter story was one of them. Some of my wonderful friends here even called me "butter boy"
I have been reminded of my mishap many times since then, and a lot of the regulars here that have been around a while remember it.
I will never live that one down.....

Unfortunately, a few years of forum posts were lost due to a server malfunction or something, and that post was one of them.

But you can find the entire thread Here

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okay, now you have me curious, what is the butter story?

I have been reading both of you guys forever and I don't remember that one. :B

BobsYourUncle wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

But!! It was a blast! I enjoyed the challenge of being FT in freezing Alberta winters! Great memories! And a few stories to go with it... :B

LOL!
I'll never live that one down! Although it sits unused, in favor of our Tango, I still own it. I go into it once in a while and somehow get this mysterious craving for popcorn! :B:B

Old-Biscuit wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

LOL!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heat pads/heat wrap is good IF you have electric power/solar power to keep up with the DC Draw.
They will keep tank/valves/piping from freezing but is a drain on batteries
Roughly 5A -6A per heat pad

120VAC Pads also available.... 0.7A draw BUT you need AC Power
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Bob'sYOur Uncle.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
WE bought a 18 month old used 27' 5th wheel to live in one winter while the house was being built. It had two grey and a black tank with exposed under belly. The dealer installed heat blankets on the bottom of each tank and the encapsulated each tank with expanding foam. Then sprayed the outside of the foam with a rubberized texture. The blanket wiring were tied to one thermostat. No issues down to 6 below and 40 mph winds all winter. Fresh water tank was inside the trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for your input. Lots of food for thought.
Mike

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have similar trailer with exposed tanks etc. Added heat pads to the water tanks and heat tape to the waste plumbing. Had a fresh water freeze up so I added a hot water circulating system. Furnace had poor air flow so I added two additional ducts for superior performance. Single pane windows still sweat and it goes through a lot of propane but does fine to at least -10F. For this I really need an electric power connection. Just go and keep adding what you find you need.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're going to be stationary for the winter where it's actually cold see if you can get the propane company to rent/give you a 120 gallon tank, in most jurisdictions that's the largest that can be placed right near a dwelling, so while it's only 2x dual 30s it's easier and cheaper for them to refill so you'll still likely come out ahead.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH