cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tie Downs for stepside pickup

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever put a slide in truck camper on a step side pickup? Any advice on a tie down system to use?
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK
13 REPLIES 13

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The exact text is "NO BED-STEP SIDE," which in normal English would mean "either the truck has no bed, or it is a step side."

If they were not for step side, then why wouldn't it say "NOT FOR STEP SIDE?"

Seriously, I think they'd fit. The minimum-wage call-answerer (i.e. not really tech support) doesn't know what they're talking about. Now if Mr. Torklift himself told you this, then I might be inclined to believe it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
???

Torklift lists them specifically for step-side F150 pickups!

http://www.torklift.com/fitguide.php?v=3&id=81&rboards=no&hitch=r_ez&cyear=2007&chosen_make=1&chosen_model=1

check your link again and this time read between ( ) "NO BED STEP SIDE" but thanks for playing. I will just go with the fact that I talked to tech support at Torklift and they DO NOT have them.
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
???

Torklift lists them specifically for step-side F150 pickups!

http://www.torklift.com/fitguide.php?v=3&id=81&rboards=no&hitch=r_ez&cyear=2007&chosen_make=1&chosen_model=1

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke with tech support of all 3 tie down vendors. Nothing off the shelf will work with a step side pickup. Off to the fab shop. Thanks to everyone for the info.
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
BamaBen wrote:
Thank you all for your input. I have added a photo of my rig so that it may give a better idea of what I am up against. I have come to realize whatever I go with will have to be retrofit for my application.

I looked at the picture of your rig in your profile.

What, exactly, are you "up against?" You don't have any odd protrusions or ground effects on that truck, so I don't see where your perceived problem is...

Torklift tiedowns bolt to the FRAME of the truck, and do not contact the bed. They will work fine for your application.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
We have Torklifts. Since they bolt to the frame, I would think that what (standard) bed you have shouldn't matter.

Even a modified bed shouldn't matter if it is no wider than the cab and doesn't protrude below the bottom edge of the cab, which a step side pickup bed does not.

Give Torklift a call. I think they'll agree. If not, please let us know why.
Joe and Evelyn

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be able to use the HJ setup since Ford left almost no room between the cab and bed on those trucks.

I do have to second the comment about 1/2 ton trucks not making good TC haulers. Which is one reason there isn't much in the way of tie-downs made for them. You should probably contact Torklift about what might work.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Half tons and TC's usually don't mix.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. I have added a photo of my rig so that it may give a better idea of what I am up against. I have come to realize whatever I go with will have to be retrofit for my application.
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

Bedlam
Torklift frame mounts should work, but you may need the longer designed for length floorboards.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift, I had to get them for the front tie downs so they can angle down under the fiberglass skirt.

I need to update my signature, the 2005 GMC in picture was totaled by a DD so I now have a 2006 Chevy dually without the steps for the front of the bed but I was able to use a different hole pattern in the receiver so the tie downs will work for trucks with or without the step on front part of bed.

I'd call them with your question.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have been more specific. Not so much the buckles but the anchor points. Torklift, Happijac nor Brophy make a anchor point system for a step side.
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
I just googled your question and found a picture of a Ford F150 Stepside with a Northern Lite camper in it. They had TC Fastguns on the front. Didn't recognize the tiedowns used in the rear. Sorry I don't know how to link to the pic.
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel