cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens vs Airbags vs Helper Spring

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some opinions vs each other in which do you prefer and why. Picked up a new truck and I know one of these are going to be needed as a mod to the truck. Just not sure the route to go this time. New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs
41 REPLIES 41

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Had Timbrens on my previous 1500 RAM, and besides floor mats, Timrens were the first mod to my 2500 RAM.

I put Timbrens on my 2004 Ford van almost 12 years ago. Best thing since hollow point ammunition. Hauled a load of landscape bricks today, and the Timbrens kept my headlights pointed where they needed to be pointed.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
If you have leaf springs, the Loadmaster Suspension System has worked well for us.

We have airbags on our older 3/4 ton Chevy van, and while they work fine, they are a pain to keep adjusting air all the time, and the on board air system is pricey.

My mechanic recommended the Loadmaster for out newer E350 van, and they certainly work as advertised, and were cost effective.

Broken link

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
If you have leaf springs, the Loadmater Suspension has worked well for us.

We have airbags on our older 3/4 ton Chevy van, and while they work fine, they are a pain to keep adjusting air all the time, and the on board air system is pricey.

My mechanic recommended the Loadmaster for out newer E350 van, and they certainly work as advertised, and were cost effective.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tkhollywood wrote:
My last F150 was fine pulling camper. Even towed it from Michigan to Nashville to Gatlinburg and back. Had plenty of power and no sway (using a Blue Ox sway pro) the only issue I had was porpusing, added a leaf and that problem was solved. Just a rough ride when unloaded. A 250 or 350 were out of the question for now with to kids in a private highschool and college around the corner. We have 1 maybe 2 years left with this camper before we downsize to a cottage on the lake up north some where.

Well I would not want to do it, but if the other F150 did fine I would suggest Air Bags. They are totally adjustable.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
I had air bags on my '07 Ram 3500 SRW. I currently have Timbrens on my 2500HD. I prefer the Timbrens.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Had Timbrens on my previous 1500 RAM, and besides floor mats, Timrens were the first mod to my 2500 RAM.

x2 on the Timbrens. No inflating required and only come into play when hooked to my 5th wheel. The rest of the time, normal ride. Since I have a 2500 Ram that means it rides like a truck 🙂

But add the Bilstein shocks and it rides way better both loaded and unloaded.

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Craig_A
Explorer
Explorer
I put timbrens on my F250 in 2003 and have never had an issue with them. I never aim at low flying airplanes, the ride is good with over 2000# pin weight, and there has been NO maintenance required on them. If I had it to do over again I'd go with the timbrens again....nothing to break, lose air pressure or blow up.
Beautiful wife of 38 years
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever
18 year old Amazon Parrot
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 36J

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Huh? Makes no sense. Why would you buy a marginal tool then try to beef it up?

Naw. The trailer at around 38 feet long and a 8800 pound GVWR is simply too much trailer for a 150/1500 series truck.

Aha! Well, then that's the problem. The OP didn't buy a 1/2 ton marginal vehicle. He wisely bought a heavy duty truck with around 11,500 pounds tow capacity. His 33ft camper checks in at 8500 pound GVWR, well under the recommended limit.

One of the problems with modern trucks, both 1/2 ton series and lately 3/4 ton series, is that the magazine shootouts critically rate them for soft ride. As a consequence, the rear axles have longer travel to handle similar weights as in the past, yet are more compliant over a greater range for better ride. It is not rocket science; the leaf springs are generally longer.

Since all steel springs normally have a linear load/compression characteristic, a direct relationship of pounds per inch, they now simply compress more to handle increased load. On the other hand, ordinary OEM shock absorbers (dampers) are preset to damp only ordinary rebound forces, even then a little on the gentle side to enhance unloaded ride tests. On anything but a smooth road, the extra reciprocating weight of bouncing campers is not accurately accounted for in OEM damping restriction settings. Either get Bilsteins or a quality adjustable shock like Rancho for best results.

To make things worse, many Travel Trailers have an "extra spring" that has no damping at all. The spring is the set of equalizing bars that many folks prefer to use (for good reason). During wavy interstate travel, a late model stock truck is more likely to porpoise as the OEM shocks are inadequate for just the loaded truck springs. Add the rebound of equalizing bars and the undamped natural frequency, aka porpoising, can get quite annoying.

Adding air bags or other springs also affect corresponding rebound damping; suitable new adequate shocks are again preferred.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Timbrens did a great job on my Silverado 1500. Make you a heck of a deal if they would fit. Traded my 1500 in.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
The Timbrens are the only ones that won't affect the unloaded ride since they don't engage until weight is added and the suspension drops. Bags, even if only low pressured, and springs are always engaged and will affect ride.

I disagree about the bags, less air and you don't even know their there. Timbrens are junk in my opinion, once you put some weight on them its like riding with no suspension at all...ever been on a hay wagon...just about the same ride.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The 150 with Max tow/max payload should be able to level the load with a WDH. If not, you are most likely over the RAWR, and should have run the numbers before purchasing the 150.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Timbrens or helpers are the most economical, but best suited for full time use imo. Timbrens can be set low for an unaffected empty ride but then the truck has to sag a ways for them to take load, or if shimmed up they kick in pretty quick, almost like helper springs but more abrupt.
Since you're towing and not hauling a heavy hi profile load like a truck camper, stability isn't really an issue, so air bags are a great part time option. There when you need them, gone when you don't.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
donn0128 wrote:
Huh? Makes no sense. Why would you buy a marginal tool then try to beef it up?

Focus donno, focus on the question at hand.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Silverado 2500HD is a great mod.

Funny in a sort of way!!!!

Super springs on my 2010 max tow f150 were very good!
Did lift rear end up 3/4 ". But worked as designed. Liked the fact it was put them on and forget it.