cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for some new 19.5 rubber...recommendations?

luv2skyski
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's finally time for some new tires.

I bought Vision 81's and Goodyear G647 RSS from Rickson back in 2007. I put over 63,000 miles on them. I had the usual squirmy first few hundred miles or so but other than that no problems.

FWIW: I've never had to have them balanced. (Rickson did their "Match Mounting" and used EQUAL balancing compound.)

I did some research and it looks like they still make that model tire ($420 each, including FET, with free shipping).

Doesn't seem to be any recent posts regarding tire recommendations. What brand / model has everyone been getting lately?

As always, thanks in advance.
Dave.
2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
19 REPLIES 19

luv2skyski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I've got a local place looking into it for me.
Sincerely, Dave.
2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
Been happy with Hankook DH07's 245's on my SRW Ram 3500 with the vision wheels. Have a pretty aggressive thread which I like but they do make some road noise at highway speeds.

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
I'm a bit supprised at some of the low mileage reports in this thread with 19.5s . From reading past threads I was under the impression they were getting in excess of 100000 miles .

I too am getting ready to purchase new tires on my 15 F450. I still have the original continentals and will be lucky to get 45-50k out of them. They are strictly highway tread and are terrible in the rain.

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Wow. Eleven years on tires used to haul a TC. Regardless of the mileage, I would have replaced them years ago. Since you only went 60K miles in all those years, I would buy more medium grade tires and replace them way more frequently. The usual recommendation is 7 years but with low use even that is questionable. The lower the use, the more frequently tires should be replaced. An unused tire should be replaced in about 4-5 years.

Agree, and also maybe why the OP is replacing them. I had the Goodyear's and blew one at 8 yrs old. Just posted in the other 19.5 thread.

I went with the Hankooks, a little higher weight rating than the Goodyears.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Dave,
Is your truck 2WD or 4X4? Do you need M&S rated tires?
I've been running Bridgestone M729's for the past 3 years. VERY happy with them.
Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't overlook Toyo. I had a set of 19.5s on my first coach and they rode very smooth. I think the ones I had were 16 ply G rated.

Discount Tire is having a Black Friday sale. Maybe a store near you? Their website sucks.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m more likely to age my tires out, too. Iโ€™m averaging barely over 10K a year. I did replace two front tires since I didnโ€™t like how they were wearing. At 45K, I think the rear tires will go farther still.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
ticki2 wrote:
I'm a bit supprised at some of the low mileage reports in this thread with 19.5s . From reading past threads I was under the impression they were getting in excess of 100000 miles .

I think it depends on what you want out of a tire. If you were primaily on pavement in good conditions yeah you could easily take them down to the wear bars and be happy up to a high mileage point. But if you go off road or drive in winter conditions, snow mud, ice. you are going to replace them at much less wear. I got rid of my first set at 45,000 because they were primarily road tires and once the tread started to wear, they basically sucked on anything but dry pavement. My new AT 19.5s have a much deeper tread to wear. On the other hand on my load rage E tires I'm lucky to get 30K out of them. A set of 4 19.5 Roadmasters only ran me $900 which is way less than I spent on Load range Es
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oregun wrote:
I have been happy with my Cooper Roadmaster 19.5's I got 4 of these on my SRW F350. They wander until they are broke in.

I have the g rated version on my F350 SRW ride great and no wander.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. Eleven years on tires used to haul a TC. Regardless of the mileage, I would have replaced them years ago. Since you only went 60K miles in all those years, I would buy more medium grade tires and replace them way more frequently. The usual recommendation is 7 years but with low use even that is questionable. The lower the use, the more frequently tires should be replaced. An unused tire should be replaced in about 4-5 years.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a set(6) of Dawg Pound Urban Dawgs (H Load Rating). $1698.00 mounting and balanced. Ride as nicely as the G670's they replaced.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run Bridgestone M724s on front and Hankook DH-01s on rear. The Brigestones still have great traction, but ride better than the Hankooks on the front. I'm running Fs since that is plenty capacity for me, and I only run75-80 lbs on my F450.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
After using Michelins for more years than I care to remember, I wholeheartedly recommend you give them serious consideration.
I am using the 22570R19.5 in the XZZ tread design on my small motorhome. Very happy with them.
I always buy my tires from an on-line marketer and then have them mounted locally. Last tires were from SimpleTire.com. They were less than 6 mos. old when I received them.

They show 5 tread designs and load ranges (LRF and LRG). Only show price for one, the XZE in Load Range G (14 PR). $424, all inclusive including shipping. Local mounting will probably run another $25. per tire.
Makes the 6 cost about $2700.