cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for tires so Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance?

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
It’s time for tires on my travel trailer. It usually has 9000-9500 lbs on the axles. I’ve been running load range E Maxxis size 225/75/15 and have been very pleased. But I now see that Goodyear is making the Endurance tire in the U.S. I’ve never been a Goodyear fan but what’s the consensus Goodyear or Maxxis?
2014 Ram 3500 CC Longbed 4x4, G56, tow rig
2013 Jayco 33BHTS Travel Trailer
2014 Toyota Tacoma CC TRD 4x4, work rig
40 REPLIES 40

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
dragr1 wrote:
Decided to try the Goodyears bc made in the USA

Hopefully it goes well

Hope so, I went the same route.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to try the Goodyears bc made in the USA

Hopefully it goes well

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
Took some more measurements over the weekend and I just don’t have the clearance to swap to LT tires so it’s back to Goodyear vs Maxxis. Leaning towards Goodyear only bc they are made in the USA bc other wise I’ve never been a Goodyear fan.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only had my new Jayco 23RB for about a year and 1/2 so far, having bought it in June of 2017. Jayco, at the time, had just changed over from installing China made TT tires, which were load range C, and installing the newly designed and manufactured Goodyear Endurance. Jayco did this in the middle of the manufacturing year.

Now to the point. I've already put over 14,000 miles on this new trailer, including a trip this spring/summer from Virginia, to Florida, to the 4 Corners region, to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota to Michigan and back to Virginia.

The Endurance have performed wonderfully, so far, and show little to no wear. I had two flats during the trip, but both were from nails. I've had to replace one of the Endurance tires, but this was because I snagged the sidewall on the end of a car carrier dolly. Tire didn't go flat, but the sidewall was damaged so it had to be replaced.

So far, I'm well pleased with the Endurance tire. It's a ST205/75R15 LRE D size. The next few years will tell the tale on the endurance of the Endurance tire.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But you are talking about apples and oranges. Goodyear Marathons are NOT the same as Goodyear Endurance. Goodyear, as far as I know, doesn't even make Marathons any longer.

Totally different design, much higher speed rating, and the Endurance tires are made in USA, whereas Goodyear moved the old Marathon production to China.

Also, Goodyear doesn't make an Endurance in Load Range C, only D and E.

WDP wrote:
Neither, I have had catastrophic explosive failures with both. I do use a TPMS and it worked just fine after the tire blew, no indication of a problem before hand. The GY Marathon have 35 complaints thus far for the same explosive failure, mostly the 235/80/16 E.
NTSB Tire Complaints. Running a 10.5K two axle TT. I went with the truck tire 235/85/16 E as the clearance was there. Strongly suggest you consider.

WDP
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
dragr1 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I would consider, instead, an LT truck tire over any trailer tire.

I’ve only got about 2.5-2.75” of clearance on top of the tires before they rub on the bottom side of the slides while the slides are in for traveling . So I don’t have enough room to go from my current 225/75/15 to a 235/80/16 LT tire like I would like to do. However I was just looking at a 225/75/16 load range e LT tires and I would only lose 150 pounds of carrying capacity per tire over my 15” load range e st trailer tires. And only gain 1” of overall tire diameter so I think they will fit. I might do this and drop these old trailer only tires.
Dexter states 3" minimum!
You are already under that, assuming your measurements are correct.

It is not hard to get more clearance. An axle flip, or lift blocks work very well and are worth the effort IMO.
I ditched ST tires in 2005, and have been trouble free ever since. This new crop of STs MAY prove themselves over time.... But I will not be part of the experiment. I have already given those same companies too much of my money for tires that they then said were great.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I did find on the dexter site the 3” clearance recommendation. I’m going to re measure bc I would really like to go to the 225/75/16 LT tires. I would lose 0.5” clearance with those since they are 29.3” diameter vs my current 225/75/15 at 28.3”. I would definitely like to make this work and get away from trailer tires. My current tires have never rubbed the bottom of the slides to date.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I kind of have a dog in this hunt, so.....
On my old Fox I switched to LT tires, because, just imagine the lawsuits when steering tires blow on a pickup even though they are grossly overloaded, as opposed to no one even considering a lawsuit with an ST tire that blows at its rated capacity.

On my new Fox, well, it came with the Endurances, and I really like them so far. I have about 3 thousand miles on them now, and when they wear out, I will most likely replace them with LTs. But they aren't worn out yet.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Axle and trailer mfg do not offer or make a suspension lift block set up for a multiaxle leaf spring suspension. Dexter doesn't recommend using them on their axles.
Lift blocks on a commercial trailer will not pass a required annual vehicle safety inspection.

Lift blocks add even more side stress to the U bolts/top plates/spring keepers/spring hangers while side scrubbing around corners or backing maneuvers which is one big reason their not recommended.

Single axle trailers have no side scrub events so many folks use them to gain frame height.
There are two main problems with lift blocks.

1. A lot of people go overboard with the height of the blocks.. You see this a lot with lifted trucks.
2. the materials used for the blocks. A lot of them are some sort of pot metal.... or cast iron... Not good.

I have been using short 1/2" to 1.5" blocks for 20 years or so successfully. I will only use solid steel blocks. There are places that will make them for you to your spec.
A short solid steel block is not much different than adding a leaf to the spring pack, which is yet another way to gain more clearance.

At any rate, I will do what it takes to get the clearance to run 16" LT tires. The results are that good.

Having said all that..... No matter which method one uses to get the needed clearance,(lift blocks, axle flip, sub frame, shorter shackles, longer spring hangers, thicker spring packs....ETC.) it is up to that person to do it in a safe manner, with the right materials and conservative judgement.... Go for just the amount needed and no more. In most cases, all that is needed is an inch or so.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Neither, I have had catastrophic explosive failures with both. I do use a TPMS and it worked just fine after the tire blew, no indication of a problem before hand. The GY Marathon have 35 complaints thus far for the same explosive failure, mostly the 235/80/16 E.
NTSB Tire Complaints. Running a 10.5K two axle TT. I went with the truck tire 235/85/16 E as the clearance was there. Strongly suggest you consider.

WDP

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
busterja21 wrote:
I went with Carlisle radial HD 225/75/15/e tires. The radial HD's, like the GY endurance have the higher speed rating and have much better reviews than previous models.

I had these on my old trailer, they were the only American made ST tires at the time (I think...). I had them for 3 years before I sold the camper. They were great, but it was also an upgrade from LRC to LRD, so that helped me be happier!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
Search on "Maxxis" and see numerous blowout reports. So far I've only seen one negative on Endurance.

Maxxis has been around for many years, Endurance are fairly new. With more tires on the road, you'll have more issues.

I bought Endurance tires this fall to replace my 5 year old OEM tires. Hopefully they are durable.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:

Whether your tires were made in Boston or Beijing it doesnt matter. What matters is HOW they were DESIGNED and to what specifications.

I disagree, but then I spent a lifetime in manufacturing and understand that specifications are only on paper and quality still is in the hands of people that may or may not give a rats petoot.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
I remember from being here in years past how vitriolic and closed minded these tire threads could be. So I tread in to this one gingerly...

Where a tire is made has little or nothing to do with it's quality.

Tire manufacturers design their tires to US and international standards and set the manufacturing/quality standards for any given tire line.

So if Michelin makes their tire in Indonesia it is still a Michelin made to the same specs with the SAME MACHINERY as if it were made in France or the US and to the same US/European/international specifications and quality standards.

I had a set of Goodyears on my trailer when I bought it (Used)they were two years old at the time. I put almost 35 THOUSAND miles on them with two trips to Alaska included. During all that time I had one flat caused by running over a huge piece of metal.

My current set is a no name brand that have done well but will not last as long as the Goodyears.

My preference is to buy a well known name brand.

Whether your tires were made in Boston or Beijing it doesnt matter. What matters is HOW they were DESIGNED and to what specifications.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I ran Goodyear ST Marathons on my trailers for over 15 years with never a single problem. For the past 15 or more years, I have been running Maxxis 8008 ST tires and still have never had a single problem. I run my trailer tires at the max pressure as stated on the sidewall.

I think though, if I were still trailering, I would give the new Endurance tires a chance in spite of my good luck with the Maxxis.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine