Explorer II

Is this something to be concerned with?

Just spotted it this morning
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
28 REPLIES 28

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
This is where your tires are headed for.

This was a Maxxis M8008 that was on my utility trailer. At the time of this failure the tire was a spare as the year before the mate had failed.

When the mate failed I had the tire shop inspect this tire very closely and elected to buy two new tires and keep this one as a spare.

The tire was inside the trailer as a spare and as I was preparing for a trip and loading the trailer I noticed this problem.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper like all tire makers have several lines of LT tires. So it makes a big difference which one is selected for the job. Especially carrying heavy load at highways speeds

I've used Cooper commercial grade LT SRM-II for years with no issues. Cooper discontinued them..... now I've used their new gen commercial grade Discoverer HT-3 LT tires. Makes a big difference what the tire mfg recommends vs the tire dealer for carrying heavy loads. The old SRM-II and the newer HT-3 were the only LT tires that Coopers 1-800 tire would recommend for my work trucks and work trailers.
Michelin....BFG....Bridgestone/etc all usually have one of their LT tire lines recommended for heavy service work.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Thinking about either the Cooper ATP ($187)or the Cooper AT3 XLT ($235). Leaning more to the ATPs because I drive about 30K miles a year so no matter what brand I get, I'm gonna be replacing somewhere around the two year mark.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are only from my experience with Coopers. About 10 yrs ago I had replaced them on my Dodge, and all 4 on my fifthwheel. That was 10 tires. I had 7 tires out of 10 separate all with in 3 yrs time. My buddy who owns a rental yard at the time used our same Cooper tire dealer that we both deal with and most of his tires on equipment did the same thing. Others here will tell you that they are a great tire. I won't buy another ever again. Now for the cars, that is a different story. Had them on my Grand Marquis and road the hell out of them, and did great. That's why I put them on the truck and trailer.
My experience only, so I don't need a lecture.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So moral of the story, don't use Michiblows?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about either the Cooper ATP ($187)or the Cooper AT3 XLT ($235). Leaning more to the ATPs because I drive about 30K miles a year so no matter what brand I get, I'm gonna be replacing somewhere around the two year mark.

Thoughts?

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures of Micheling LTX-MS LT256/75R16E's on 16x10 alloys

Woke up to find this

Click For Full-Size Image.

Cracks everywhere

Have pictures of LTX-MS same size and on the Sub, but no time to search for them now
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Soon after the above pic...if blew from too much flexing due to air leaking out and the tires sidewall were flexing too much

Did your TPMS fail to report the pressure loss?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
Same here... my Michelinโ€™s failed just like BenKโ€™s..

Every set of Michelinโ€™s I have ever owned failed either spectacularly (sidewall failure) or slowly (leaking through the cracks)

Iโ€™m part of the Never Again movement as it relates to Michelinโ€™s.

To their credit, Iโ€™ve never worn the trad off of one. Lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah

X2 Same experience here. But I have worn the tread off, in less then the stated mileage expected. And no adjustment by Michelin due to time.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here... my Michelinโ€™s failed just like BenKโ€™s..

Every set of Michelinโ€™s I have ever owned failed either spectacularly (sidewall failure) or slowly (leaking through the cracks)

Iโ€™m part of the Never Again movement as it relates to Michelinโ€™s.

To their credit, Iโ€™ve never worn the trad off of one. Lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
IMHO...not a cut, but a crack...get a new tire(s)

A cut would most likely have a straight line

Think tread separation

Here is an image of my 1980 Silverado's 33/12.5R15LT Load C tires. Left them in hopes of not cracking clean through to the belts and leak

Soon after the above pic...if blew from too much flexing due to air leaking out and the tires sidewall were flexing too much

Looks like some Michelins I had .:(

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's exactly what I don't want happening

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
OBTW...here is a link to who owns who in the tire business...funny to read some love one badge and hates the other badge, which owns their love badge...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Used to love Michelin...then noticed they didn't last long and cracked like crazy. Ditto on BFG KO's.

Talked to the Costco tire manager about my KO's blistering between tread blocks and told me to come back another day when the area rep was going to visit

In talking to the BFG rep (he gave me a prorated warranty) and asked if I could get Michelin LTX AT's....sure thing, I'm the Michelin rep too

Turns out that same time period, Michelin bought BFG and imported some of BFG's IP to the Michelin line

About 10 years after that discussion...all of my Michelin LTX AT's and MS's started to crack. Long timers here might remember my posts complaining about them

Same rep for the LTX's and at first said must have used ArmorAll on them and won't warranty them...Nope I've been using 303 since the last time you talked to me about the KO's blistering...he then remembered me...still wouldn't warranty the LTX's

Not a fan of Michelin anymore...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
patperry2766 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Contact Firestone. They may give you credit towards a replacement.

Thought of that, but I don't want to go back with the POS tires I have now, plus the prices for a replacement is in the same range or more than other name brands.

Clean out your earwax son. Youโ€™re not hearing me....
Those tires are dime a dozen , new, takeoffs , great deal for highway tires.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
patperry2766 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Contact Firestone. They may give you credit towards a replacement.

Thought of that, but I don't want to go back with the POS tires I have now, plus the prices for a replacement is in the same range or more than other name brands.

Some of youโ€™d b!tch n moan if you got slapped with a bag full of $100 bills and got to keep them!

^This post is absolutely 180deg from your previous post where you said you drive high miles and want a good fuel mileage tire.
You got 32k miles and Could get many more on those (save for the split in one) since you want smooth pavement pounder tires.
You completely skipped over my recommendation that you could literally replace them with new for waaaay cheap by getting some new takeoffs.
But now theyโ€™re POS tires for some strange reason because you probably hit a road hazard with them and they got damaged ?

FWIW I hauled our 2ton plus camper cross country and back a couple times in the dead of summer skinny pedal mashed to the floor on those eggzact same tires. If they are durable enough for that, they are durable enough for commuting and towing a trailer.