cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Repalcements

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we replaced 2 tires on our TT, and just had one Blowout on the way home from Va. Then I noticed on the sidewall lip that they were made in Bejing China.

Does any one know of any Trailer tires made in the US? Or at least decent ones made elsewhere? Thanks for the input and help !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
87 REPLIES 87

biskit6
Explorer
Explorer
Had a blowout on Sunday...Maxxis 8008. But, it was 11yrs old! So, if anything, that supports the Maxxis longevity argument.
I had no idea they were the original tires on the 2004 TT. They looked very good, so I thought they had been replaced and didn't bother checking the dates. My bad. Fortunately, only plastic fender damage. And, if you're wondering, I'm about ready to buy either Nexen SV820s or GY G26s.
2004 Coachmen Catalina Lite 270BH
2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered 4 new tires from eTrailer for my travel trailer. . I should have them this Thursday.

Here's a link to the tires I ordered.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM10256.html

My 2013 pontoon trailer had a recall on the tires, and I ordered new tires for it from etrailer and they're the same brand as the tires I just ordered. . . They have been great!

eTrailer is a great place to order from too!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Obvious wrote:
I changed a blowout on my trailer on Thursday in less time than it took to read this thread.

I preferred the blowout.

Good 1 :B
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up to my last post, they are made by Cooper & i think they are made in the US. If so i will go for them.

I sent them an email and asked them outright.

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-News-Releases/Hercules-and-Cooper-Tire-Celebrate-50-Year-Annive...

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tried Hercules tires? From what I can tell they are US made, they have an ST class E 15 inch. They may be made by cooper, they are headquartered in the same town.

One thing that leads me to think this is this paragraph on their website. It says tire EXPORTER in North American not IMPORTER.

Hercules Tire Internationalherculesinter.jpg

The largest independent tire exporter in North America, Hercules International provides the sought-after Hercules and Ironman brands, as well as select manufacturers' brands. Hercules International sells to distributors in defined, exclusive markets across the globe.

Mr__Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
I changed a blowout on my trailer on Thursday in less time than it took to read this thread.

I preferred the blowout.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
I just cant put $ 30,000 asset on 4 chinese $ 85.00 tires when I have a proven alternative .

Heh, heh...SprinklerMan boils it right down to the essentials ! Gotta love that. ๐Ÿ™‚

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Life is all about choices , the older you get you generally have more experience behind you to make those choices . Fortunatly these forums allow different people with different experiences to voice their opinions on different subjects . This helps new and old users get different ideas on whats good for them . I have learned by my mistakes , its cheaper to learn from others mistakes . I prefer an LT tire , oothers dont . And may never , this is fine . I just cant put $ 30,000 asset on 4 chinese $ 85.00 tires when I have a proven alternative .

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I still read lots of stuff from "experts" on not using LT tires. This seems like on of those subjects you can ever get a straight answer on.

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

This video is useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

I think TPMS monitoring system is your best option

I watched the video and took notes .The tires used were not equal in size or age .
The guy in the video used the largest highest capacity ST tire for his comparison !
And a smaller LT tire and P tire .
He used an ST 235/80 R 16 load range E tire to compare to a smaller LT 225/75R16 tire in his example .
He did not show a sidewall flex test for the LT tire .
He skipped right over that .
And he used a completely used up P tire for his sidewall flex grab for the P tire .
I discovered this by correlating the sidewall weight rating for each tire in his comparison .
Further , this bozo did not understand that an ST tire has a considerably lower threshold to meet its standard .
That is why the ST tire confusion continues except for the motorheads who take the time to research the subject .
For proof :
The only ST tire placarded at 3420# on the sidewall is the ST235/80R16 load range E . "For Trailer Use Only "
The only LT tire placarded at 2680 # is the LT 225/75R16 load range E . No restriction.
There are several sizes of P tires that are placarded at 2403 # such as the tires that fit a Honda Civic CRX .
So this goofball does a video and does not compare equal size tires or even all new tires .

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
All I know is I am confused. i guess i will run the tires that came with the trailer for 3 years ensuring the inflation is kept correct and they are covered from the sun and then decide whether to go 16 inch & lt. my trialer certianly seems to have enough clearance for 16 inch.

It might be better to sell the tires now, while you can get a fair price, and enjoy the added safety for the next 3 years.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

This video is useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

Unfortunately he left out some key bits of information there. So at best that little vid was simply incomplete.
Sadly, it's been my experience over the years that tire salesmen are often poor sources of good tire information. Mostly what they know how to do is sell tires they have in stock, or can easily get that day from the local warehouse.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:

On the other hand, they could be completely different. We just don't know.

CapriRacer

=============

Lowsuv wrote:

Here is a quiz :
Which tire is likely to be a better tire ?
===========================

To which I say, these two statements get this whole discussion down to the basics. And that is, we really have no way of guaranteeing that we will get absolute trouble free performance out of "anything".
But what we can do is make informed, well thought out choices, and in so doing, we will improve our odds of success.
We are all adults here. We've all been around long enough to have a pretty good feel for what quality is, and how to shop for it.
This whole thing about choosing tires really does not have be so complicated. We don't have to know every exact detail about a product to make good choices. We just need to know how to choose.

I think everybody on this forum would be able to choose which is better: a ten year old Toyota, or a ten year old Yugo.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is I am confused. i guess i will run the tires that came with the trailer for 3 years ensuring the inflation is kept correct and they are covered from the sun and then decide whether to go 16 inch & lt. my trialer certianly seems to have enough clearance for 16 inch.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Why would we assume that both the Chinese tire and the German tire were made of the same materials in exactly the same way ?
Everybody knows that German products have consistently been some of the highest quality automotive products for 6 decades .
The autobahn and the stretches of unlimited speed restrictions dictate that German cars and tires be capable of high speeds without killing somebody .
Everybody knows that Chinese products have consistently been some of the worst automotive products built to the cheapest price standard .
Why would we assume the German tires are made of the same materials as the cheaper Chinese tires ?
The Chinese tire is built to the cheapest price point possible .
Why would we assume that the $ 89 tire is an equal to the $ 156 tire from the same Tire conglomerate ?
Regarding the cubic volume of each tire the 225/75R15 is shaped more like an oval ( 6.3" tread width ) , and the 225/70R15 is more shaped like a circle ( 7.7" tread width) .
I did not provide that info in the quiz .
The calculated cubic volume of each size is very close .
And the obvious .
Why would we assume that a tire designed for maximum 65 mph is an equal to one designed for 106 mph ?